CrazyBoards.org

Haldol--- Tardive Dyskinesia within a week?

Ok so I'm at the end of my rope for treatment options as far as anxiety and cognitive symptoms goes (well as far as negative symptoms go too, but I'll address that in another thread). I've been on Haldol in the past and it actually helped with clearing my thinking and even more so helped my severe anxiety. The only problem was that I developed what I thought was tardive dyskinesia within a week of starting it and it only went worse as time went on. The Doctors in the inpatient psych unit assured me that it was a different kind of side effect then TD and that it would eventually wear off given time. They said real TD takes years to develop and they did everything they could to convince me to remain on Haldol. I stopped Haldol after about 2 weeks out of fear and suspicion and went on something that did the job, but nowhere near as well as Haldol. The symptoms did eventually wear off--- after a year and a half. Now they are totally gone. Now, faced with crippling negative and cognitive symptoms as well as anxiety that only subsides when I am severely sedated, (and also having tried every atypical antipsychotic outside of Latuda and nearly every anxiety medication) I'm reconsidering Haldol.

My question is: will the side effect that I apparently misidentified as TD go away with continued usage? Does anyone have more experience with this specific side effect?

I should note that at the time I first tried Haldol I was on about 5 or more psychiatric meds, not including meds for other ailments. Now I'm on much more, including polypharmacy for anxiety (neurontin, xanax xr and vistiril) and polypharmacy with antipsychotics (Risperdal Consta & Abilify).

EDIT: the side effect I experienced was uncontrolled and random twitching of my mouth, especially in my lips.

I'd like to know what this is too. Within a week of starting abilify, I had involuntary movements of my mouth. It was happening a lot and people were noticing and commenting on it. I asked my pdoc to stop the abilify. My pdoc took me off abilify right away. I assumed it was TD but never asked. The movements went away after abilify was discontinued. Later I also learned that it takes years for true TD to develop. So I wonder what this was.

I was under the impression that the atypical antipsychotics such as what you are taking now are the best for cognitive and negative symptoms. (o.k., no AP actually does a very good job on negative symptoms). From what I read, Latuda is supposed to be good for cognitive problems, but it would probably do little for your anxiety.

As to your question, I think you should ask your current pdoc what s/he thinks. Personally, I also would be worried if I got uncontrolled and random twitching of my mouth.

I was under the impression that the atypical antipsychotics such as what you are taking now are the best for cognitive and negative symptoms. (o.k., no AP actually does a very good job on negative symptoms). From what I read, Latuda is supposed to be good for cognitive problems, but it would probably do little for your anxiety.

As to your question, I think you should ask your current pdoc what s/he thinks. Personally, I also would be worried if I got uncontrolled and random twitching of my mouth.

Thanks for your reply. I'm taking 2 atypicals now and they are next to completely ineffectual against the negative symptoms (though they do help minimally with cognitive symptoms). I've read somewhere that Latuda is effective against negative and even more so for cognitive symptoms. However, I've also read somewhere else that it's just as effective or less effective than seroquel for negative and cognitive symptoms. I don't remember where I read this but it is very confusing. Latuda is another medication I'd like to try out if it is really effective against negative and cognitive symptoms more so than other AAP's

Thanks for your reply. I'm taking 2 atypicals now and they are next to completely ineffectual against the negative symptoms (though they do help minimally with cognitive symptoms). I've read somewhere that Latuda is effective against negative and even more so for cognitive symptoms. However, I've also read somewhere else that it's just as effective or less effective than seroquel for negative and cognitive symptoms. I don't remember where I read this but it is very confusing. Latuda is another medication I'd like to try out if it is really effective against negative and cognitive symptoms more so than other AAP's

Personally, I'd try Latuda before going back to Haldol. May I ask what your negative symptoms are? Are you sure that they are negative symptoms and not depression?

I changed to Latuda from Riserdal while on the rest of the meds in my signature. Risperal kept my head clear which is something no other med had really done. Latuda does the same but with less sedation. So, cognitively, I think it is a good med. I'm not sure, but it might be starting to help my depression a little bit, too. I like this med, but it does nothing for anxiety.

I can't say about negative symptoms. I am Bipolar I, so there may be some differences in response.

ETA: If you have your anxiety under control, I would try Latuda before retrialing Haldol.

In regards to the side effect you mention about, I'm just curious did you take a medication like Cogentin while on the Haldol. The movements to me (but I know I can't diagnose) sounds like it could be some EPS, in which medications like Cogentin and Artane can help.

If Haldol worked, I'd consider going back to it. netsavvy's suggestion of Cogentin or Artane is worth looking in to if you have the same bizarro side effect again.

I'm all for old drugs, and I'm all for things that work. If Haldol really helped, then yeah, totally do it.

I don't think it would be TD, as it developed so early, more likely to be another movement disorder, that another med could take away, such as cogentin. Haldol is, however, notorious for causing movement disorders and TD is certainly possible over time.

You could try clozaril, I believe that is the LEAST likely to cause movement disorders. It does have other unpleasant side effects, but may be helpful with not just positive but negative symptoms.

Anna

I don't think it would be TD, as it developed so early, more likely to be another movement disorder, that another med could take away, such as cogentin. Haldol is, however, notorious for causing movement disorders and TD is certainly possible over time.

You could try clozaril, I believe that is the LEAST likely to cause movement disorders. It does have other unpleasant side effects, but may be helpful with not just positive but negative symptoms.

Anna

Tried Clozaril for about a year. Developed spazms in my entire body that made it hard to talk and to walk. I was constantly falling.

In regards to the side effect you mention about, I'm just curious did you take a medication like Cogentin while on the Haldol. The movements to me (but I know I can't diagnose) sounds like it could be some EPS, in which medications like Cogentin and Artane can help.

They gave me cogentin and it helped, but did not completely mask the movements.

• 4 weeks later...

My pdoc said I had TD from my Abilify and that some times it comes on quickly. It was mostly twitching and horrible shaking of my hands, arms, and legs. She put me on Cogentin and that seemed to work. My only side effect from the Cogentin is that I can't drive for about 4 hours after taking it (I can't stay in my lane otherwise).

My pdoc said I had TD from my Abilify and that some times it comes on quickly. It was mostly twitching and horrible shaking of my hands, arms, and legs. She put me on Cogentin and that seemed to work. My only side effect from the Cogentin is that I can't drive for about 4 hours after taking it (I can't stay in my lane otherwise).

Why can't you drive while you're taking Cogentin?

Cogentin makes me drive like I am mildly drunk; just the actions, not the feeling of being drunk. I just can't control my truck well enough to stay in my own lane. I keep drifting over into one of the adjacent lanes. I find that after a few hours I can drive perfectly normally. I don't know why I have this reaction to cogentin.

That's not TD.

My pdoc has told me that true TD takes years to develop. *However* he told me yesterday that he has a patient that developed it while on Seroquel after just a few years. He also said that it is cumulative exposure to AP/ AAPs that causes it. Even if you stop and start them, it all adds up- stopping doesn't take you back to where you were pre- APs. He's already monitoring me for TD two weeks into taking Stelazine because of mu previous AAP trials.

The person best suited to dx'ing you for TD is your pdoc.

TD is almost inevitable if you take it enough years though.

My pdoc told me that not everybody gets TD, even after years on APs. He's been right about his information in the six years I've been his patient, so I believe him. I have to.

Archived