CrazyBoards.org

Staying Awake When You're Supposed to Be Awake

item0

I need to stay awake during the day so I can be sleepy enough at night to sleep at the right time. What I mean is, I'm trying to avoid nodding off during the day so I can sleep at night when I need to and when I'm supposed to.

How do you accomplish this?

I usually do this when trying to reset my clock. I take a few cold showers during the day when I start to feel drowsy. Get fresh air when I feel myself nodding off and try to involve my mind in some small task. Something like crossword puzzles or researching something on the net. Just enough to involve the brain and keep it interested but not too heavy that it makes me tired.

I avoid tv and any horizontal position.

Going for a walk until the worst passes is helpful for me. Actually persuading myself to do it is hard, but I bribe myself with the idea that the exercise will justify the med munchies I know I'll get that evening. Still new to this myself, only had sedating meds in the day quite recently, but you have to find a distraction from the sleepiness that works for you. Some people lose themselves in a book, others find reading makes them nod off. Hope you find a way to beat that longing to sleep.

Yes, staying active is really your relief here.

There are also several things one can do to reset the body clock.

One is (and use this one with caution) stay awake for 24 hours, and FORCE yourself not to go to sleep that day. Get out of the house. Do not sit down. Do stuff. (Maybe not driving). This should allow you to be sleepy enough to go to bed that night.

PLEASE be advised that this approach CAN DESTABILIZE some people completely. So if it's even a possibility for you, don't do it. I've done it, once or twice, but it was during times when I was stable and needed to reset my body clock completely.

The second approach is to set your alarm for like, 1/2 hour earlier every few days, and FORCE self to go to bed 1/2 hour earlier each night. NO NAPS allowed. Use suggestions above to stay awake. Continue doing this until you have reached your desired wake up time, and are falling asleep at the right time each night. This is a MUCH gentler approach, but it takes time.

Again, avoiding naps is key, staying active, keeping it cold/hot (depending on what makes you nod off) staying of the couch, lots of sunshine and fresh air, etc., etc., should all help.

Anna

Archived