CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone here suffer from somatic delusions?

I sometimes experience delusions that I have a disease which I don't have. Not in a hypercondriac sort of way though, more in a detailed, deluded way. This fits within the broad category of somatic delusion.

"Somatic delusion: A delusion whose content pertains to bodily functioning, bodily sensations, or physical appearance. Usually the false belief is that the body is somehow diseased, abnormal, or changed. An example of a somatic delusion would be a person who believes that his or her body is infested with parasites."

http://www.minddisorders.com/Br-Del/Delusions.html

Cheers, that actually makes a bit more sense now! I too get the thing of thinking i have an illness, usually leukemia or cancer, and i kind of "see" myself having to go through treatments etc, like im being given a glimpse of what im going to have to go through to get rid of it. It's weird.

Interesting though, about seeing physical appearance as abnormal or deformed. Last year, a tdoc that only saw me for one session diagnosed me with Body-Dysmorphic Disorder, because i frequently see my face and body as being deformed or grossly abnormal. I tend to see myself as fatter and uglier than other people, with a huge, noticeable nose, to the point where i think people must be staring at me because im so freakish-looking. But it comes and goes, sometimes i see myself as fine, then i'll go through a phase (usually a few months) where i think im abnormal again. I never really thought that BDD fit me, because people with BDD tend to have:

• Obsessive/ compulsive behaviours pertaining to their appearance (compulsive makeup applying, skin picking etc). I dont, i rarely wear makeup and truthfully dont even pay attention to what im wearing very often.
  • A lot of anxiety surrounding their appearance. I do, but only to a certain extent. I kind of detach from it, like i know i look freakish but there isnt much i can do about it. I have occasionally, during a rare moment of anxiety, wished i could bash in my nose with a hammer, just to get the reconstructive surgery that would make it look normal again, but these arent thoughts i get all the time.
  • Frequent examination of self in the mirror/ avoidance of mirrors. If im walking past one, i'll look to make sure my bra isnt showing or whatever, but im pretty indifferent to mirrors.
  • Refusal to be in pictures- i do have this one, but that's valid. I weigh more than i want to, and i dont like having my picture taken at this size.

Also, BDD is a constant thing, as far as i can tell it doesnt go in "episodes" like my beliefs do. Im not self-diagnosing with somatic delusions, but it wouldnt surprise me if it wasnt just another part of my "big bucket of schizo stuff" lol

I had one that my body was losing all sensation. I was going numb. I couldn't fell anything, so my head said but interestingly I could still walk and pick stuff up and etc. I was convinced it was an inner ear thing that spead into some horrible disease that infected my nervous system or brain. I even went to the doc who offered a referral to the psych debt, which I naturally turned down. This was before I was diagnosed BP. I had been prescribed Trazadone for sleep and I'm pretty sure the serotonin made me nuts. It was an awful experience and I will never, ever take Trazadone again.

I'm not sure either if this counts but I have a very hard time linking myself to this shell of a body. I hate this body. It needs to be fed, it needs to sleep, it needs to be clean, etc. In short: It just NEEDS. And then, because I have a very weak immune system, I become sick from contracted viruses or bacteria very often.

This means that I often tend to think of my body as abnormal. As an aberration. Sometimes, because I grew up in S. Miami, FL until I was 17, I feel like I have mosquitos on me and it makes my skin crawl, me itch/rub the spot on my skin, and feel as though I've walked into a swarm.

In answer to your post I instead can say with most certainty (based on the link you provided) that I suffer from: delusions of control, nihilistic delusions, delusion of guilt/sin, delusion of mind being read, delution of reference, persecutory delusions, and religions delusions.

Do you have these Somatic Delusions? If so (and you are willing to share) what have you felt? How is it for you? Also, a question open to anyone interested in taking it up: Is there really a significant difference between Hypochondria and Somatic Delusions?

I also had a bad experience with trazadone. I had BDD to a large extent when i was younger. Then it kind of went into schizotypal personality disorder, which if you look into, isn't just magical thinking or inappropriate affect or mild schizophrenic symptoms, But some or many thoughts are, sexual, aggressive, or dysmorphophobic in nature without inner resistance. And some bodily illusions.

Sometimes, because I grew up in S. Miami, FL until I was 17, I feel like I have mosquitos on me and it makes my skin crawl, me itch/rub the spot on my skin, and feel as though I've walked into a swarm.

I get the feeling of bugs crawling under my skin (don't know why it is always under?) quite a lot. I just find it annoying. I wasn't sure whether to post this here, but as something similar has been mentioned in the post I have quoted then I thought I would. I have never thought of my bugs as a symptom though.

Archived