CrazyBoards.org

How do I know if a person I keep seeing is real?

I'm bipolar I (or bipolar NOS, who knows) in the middle of a major depressive episode. The past week my condition has really dipped. I stopped my medications because my psychiatrist changed them to something that made life literally unbearable with the side effects and she's wouldn't respond to my voicemails... I plan on cancelling my appointment for next Friday and finding another doctor, because in my opinion, if you're a pdoc you should at least try to get back with your patients within a week.

Anyway, last night I stopped 100mg of lamitcal, 150 mg Serequel, and 300 mg Welbutin. I know it's a bad idea, but please don't rub it in, I'm here for another concern.

I keep seeing this girl. I know she is a real girl, or at least the image of her is real. She was a girl who liked a friend of mine and I saw her on one or two occasions. It's pretty clear she's schizophrenic; the boy told me she was stalking him, etc, and was really weird. And she really does demonstrate classic schizophrenia symptoms.

Anyway, turning tables on crazy, I keep seeing this girl. I have no idea why. I've seen her at the coffee shop. I've seen her in the bookshop. I've seen her in the cafeteria. Today when I passed her she waved at me. ... She should have no idea who I am. I was never introduced to her; I only saw her from afar last year and recognized her from a facebook profile picture. I never had a real facebook, but a faux account. I broke up friends with the boy last year. How would she know me?

I've literally seen her everyday for the past week. And she's often near me, ie, getting food next to me, next to me in the checkout line, next to me eating. Do other people notice her? I have no idea.

I know this sounds crazy--but how do I know she's real?!? I'm really starting to doubt myself. I don't have a history of vivid hallucinations. I've had a history of a one time occurrence of a "shadow man" (I was either severely depressed or manic; speaks to my state in that I can't say which.) And nothing else seems abnormal about my life now.

But why do I keep seeing this girl? Is it really possible we just cross paths so often so randomly?

Your best bet may be strike up a conversation with this girl. I mean you already have a good opening line..Boy we sure do cross paths alot..or fancy meeting you here..too. You really need to figure that out before you can work out the next step, if there actually needs to be a next step.

Your best bet may be strike up a conversation with this girl. I mean you already have a good opening line..Boy we sure do cross paths alot..or fancy meeting you here..too. You really need to figure that out before you can work out the next step, if there actually needs to be a next step.

I disagree. The problem with talking to her is that it could be a hallucinatory delusion. Your best bet is to reality check. Ask someone else if they see the girl. If they do, then she is real. If not, she's an hallucination and yet another reason to get back on your meds and not quit your pdoc until you have another lined up.

I don't understand why you quit all your meds if your doc gave you one that is not agreeing with you. Maybe quit that one, but all??? That does not sound like the thoughts of a healthy mind.

I'm with Stacia, do some reality testing. If others cannot see her she is not really there. I encourage you to restart your meds. If one med is giving you problems take less of it of stop it until you can get with your doc. Stopping all of them is only going bring back your symptoms. Certainly there is a significant chance of the depression becoming worse if you stop all your meds.

nf

Please don't cancel your appointment with your pdoc. You can still look for another pdoc, but you need your pdoc right now even if she is as lousy as you say. My pdoc will never call me back.

What about your meds is so intolerable? I think that you should take your meds until you see your pdoc and get them changed but not go off them altogether. I'm not rubbing it in; I just think that you have to be smart about your mental health and not take unnecessary risks.

About seeing the girl, I agree with the others that you need to do reality checking. Take a trusted friend along and ask them if they see that girl.

I'm another who thinks that you should ask a friend if they see the girl. Like with me, I know this person who I refer to as the Ringleader, who my friends tell me they cannot see/hear him. At first it was frustrating, but with a bit of time (and also medication) I was able to see that he may be a hallucination. As a result I no longer talk to him when I am out in public, and take any arguements home where there is nobody else. And that sentence has actually got me thinking, because if she does ever turn up in your home and you haven't let her in it is pretty safe to assume that she isn't real. I sometimes see people in my home who I know I haven't let in (I never let anyone in unless I know who they are) and that is enough to tell me they are not real.

I would also agree that you need to get back on meds. And discuss with your pdoc any meds that you find intolerable so that you can change onto something that works. But please don't come off of all your meds, because you need them.

I won't enter into the debate of real or not, or why. Just wanted to say that i saw the same old man, in the same clothes, carrying the same supermarket carrier bag, in so many different places, diff times, over many years. He stood out as if superimposed somehow, and always looked as if he didn't belong. Ok, could be a real man, but it seems too odd considering the times and places, from 8am to 2am. In several towns. I've never been sure if he's real, a ghost, or my hallucination. Sightings are not regular. Just wanted to share, cos i haven't a clue if he is a figment of my imagination, a sign of crazy, or just some old guy who likes to walk places. Talking to a pdoc has to be a good move either way, and your post has made me realise that too. Hope you find some answers.

This is just my 2 sense worth, but if you are questioning it then they are probably "real", from my experience the only time i ever questioned weather someone was real was with this guy who always was on the number 5 bus would sit next to me and have the same conversation every time i was on the bus he was there talking to me, everyone would look at me weird when i answered him back so i was talking to a friend who worked with the mentally ill about it and she said she knew him. The man i was talking about was real, the hole time i wasn't sure and there have been many poeple who have told me i am talking to someone who isn't there, over and over but i swear black and blue those ones were the real ones. I am starting to realize i can't tell. So if you are questioning it, they are probably real but seem odd.

Archived