CrazyBoards.org

Is thought broadcasting a symptom of schizophrenia?

Guest Vapourware

Thought broadcasting is a psychotic symptom, so yes, it is a symptom of schizophrenia but can also be featured in other disorders with psychotic components. For instance, bipolar with psychotic features, depression with psychotic features, psychosis NOS etc.

Thought broadcasting is a psychotic disorder, so yes, it is a symptom of schizophrenia but can also be featured in other disorders with psychotic components. For instance, bipolar with psychotic features, depression with psychotic features, psychosis NOS etc.

When I looked at wikipedia it said it's one of the first rank symtoms of schizophrenia, and schizophrenia alone though. I came here to confirm whether this was true or not.

Guest Vapourware

On the phone so can't post links, but there are definitions of thought broadcasting which view it as a psychotic symptom and not necessarily limited to schizophrenia. The wiki page references some pretty old info - I believe from 1984 and 1991? - so personally I would look for more updated definitions.

Also, neither CB or wiki are definitive sources of information so I wouldn't rely solely on what you read here as gospel.

Guest Vapourware

Oh, another thing - I believe the Schnederian (sp) first rank symptoms are no longer used in a clinical sense, or at least as a main method of diagnosing scz.

Archived