CrazyBoards.org

First time starting a topic - here goes.

I have a really good job, but I've been on FMLA for a couple of years and they are...less than understanding when I have a long absence due to an episode. The following was an actual conversation between me and the HR idiot who has absolutely no concept of MI.

HR: I don't understand. Why couldn't you call in last Friday? What happens?

Me: When I have a depressive episode I talk to no one. I am literally in the bed, all day.

HR: But....you had access to a phone.

Me: (Inward sigh at apparent lingering stupidity of this person) Yes. I had access to a phone.

HR: Well, it's not like you were in intensive care. If you were incapcitated, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

My thought - if this were ANY PHYSICAL AILMENT WHATSOEVER, we would not be having this conversation. I did not trust myself to respond. Other than telling HR to do what they gotta do in terms of writing me up for not calling in. There was a much longer, extended version of this bull which I will spare you guys from.

Does anyone else have ongoing FMLA problems at work?

I was on FMLA prior to stopping work.

No, they are not going to be very understanding in general about not fulfilling your obligations to the company - even though you have a good reason. Sometimes you get lucky and the people that matter understand it enough that good work when you are there can compensate. People are definitely more capable of understanding a physical ailment they don't have than a mental one. That is very frustrating.

However, there's a difference between telling them you can't make it, and just not showing up. There are limits as to what FMLA can help you with. Even with the physical.. if it's habitual.. they're going to expect/need contact as they're going to expect you to figure it out. That doesn't mean that you're capable of it.. it's just what's equally fair to the company. Finding out if you were incapacitated in the normal sense is appropriate in order to determine if it's something that can be excused under normal company rules instead. Perhaps there is something that can be set up where you could let them know you won't be there without actually having to talk to them? That would be a reasonable accommodation to me.

Finding out if you were incapacitated in the normal sense is appropriate in order to determine if it's something that can be excused under normal company rules instead.

You don't owe them any explanation. You tell them you are out on FMLA that that's it. The forms that were filled out by the doctor are good enough for them. Honestly, just don't get into it with them. It isn't their business. Legally they have to do it. Leave it at that.

Right. A simple - "I couldn't, do what you have to do," is the same thing. It's your choice in whether or not you try to get it excused by explaining.

I agree with Cetkat. This is not an FMLA issue, the FMLA does not give you carte blanche to miss work *unexcused*. In fact the FMLA form I use asks you to spell out when you will be absent.

Is e-mail a possibility or could someone else call for you.

nf

I never tell work why I am missing, just that "I will not be in today".

Yeah, you still have to call in. I don't think that's unreasonable. Have someone do it for you if you need to.

Most people don't have depressive episodes that last a day and are so severe that they can't get out of bed and make a call and then are able to function normally, or at least enough to have a conversation, just days later. It's a very unusual presentation of the illness that frankly even I don't understand.

I think you're asking for too much.

What are the requirements for an employee to furnish notice of a need for an FMLA leave?

An employee must provide her/his department at least 30 days advance notice before FMLA leave is to begin if the need for the leave is foreseeable. If 30 days notice is not practicable due to lack of knowledge as to when leave will be required to begin, notice must be given as soon as practicable. An employee shall provide notice either in person or by telephone, or other electronic means. The department should inquire further of the employee if it is necessary to have more information about whether FMLA leave is being sought by the employee and obtain the necessary details of the leave to be taken. Notice may be given by the employee's family member (e.g., a spouse) if the employee is unable to do so personally. The

Notice of Eligibility, Rights and Responsibilities and Designation Notice must be used for an employee's notice of a need for FMLA leave.

I've sent them an email before, and they supposedly "didn't get it." I think it got kicked out as spam through the work filter. Since then I've always called, and I do call - every single day of a multi-day episode, no matter what. I make a definite effort to give them what they need, ahead of time if I can. The doctor's notes are there every time. EVERY time.

The frustration for me (and for them) is the unpredictable nature of it all. That episode started last Monday night and I'm still in it, and it was completely unexpected. Today was my first full day back. If I could let them know ahead of time, I would. But I *just can't* predict it. Not fully. I'm headed back to therapy for a bit, so we'll see how that goes.

When it's my life and my disease (and my depressive episode that I'm in right now), it's incredibly difficult to say, "Oh, you need this stuff for your paperwork, after I busted my ass to make it out of bed this morning? But of course. Let me get right on that, in between fits of staring off into space and convincing my bipolar voices to shush." It's not exactly a priority for me - even though I fully realize it is for them.

Thanks for the input. I think we need to discuss something like texting or email as an alternative.

Keep in mind "job abandonment" is 3 days missed in a row without communication with work. After that they can fire your ass, generally even if you have an employment contract. I almost got fired over this.

For e-mail I would send e-mail with a return receipt required so you have proof they saw the e-mail. Most e-mail programs let you do this. As soon as they open the e-mail (not just receive it) you will get an e-mail that states the time and date they opened the e-mail.

nf

Not to sound bitter, but be thankful you have FMLA. I work for an airline and they have been fighting us tooth and nail since FMLA was introduced on several fronts. They ultimately approve it (because they have been sued and know they have to for people who qualify) but they put up so many road blocks and paper work obstacle courses that many employees lose the benefit on technicalities and end up in disciplinary action. Also, we can no longer be pre-approved for FMLA for any reason or condition. Each time we call off, we have to apply for FMLA all over again which is in itself a major, major headache. Also, we never know when they are going to all of the sudden question a doctor's note/ diagnosis this month that was totally approved a few months prior just to wear us down and play their games -- many horror stories from co-workers about this. FMLA at my company is truly a four letter word to our management's ears. Also, you (original poster) would have definitely been fired at my co for not contacting HR/ mgmt if/ when they instructed you to, and in a nanosecond. That would be disobeying a direct order, and instructing us to contact them regarding a work absence at my company is always an implied direct order. The message we have to listen to when we call in sick always explicitly reminds us of this.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

• By AyYiYikes
      This is something I’m thinking about a lot lately. People without a mental illness don’t understand the costs we have: broken relationships, lost jobs, and poor spending episodes (putting it mildly). Add in all the costs of meds, doctor visits, therapy appointments - I didn’t choose this, but it is what it is.
      Staying on meds, for me, has created some stability after years without any. But now I face homelessness in a couple days unless a miracle occurs. I’m pissed off at myself for HAVING this, although I can’t control that I do.
      I’ve been depressed for quite a while, but still able to get to work. Over a year ago, when first diagnosed, I was off a few months, a total wreck, and am still crawling out from the financial fallout.  Last month the pdoc added a new med. Within a week, I was hearing voices (not something I do) and was terribly depressed and had suicidal ideation. I quit the med and felt better within a week. During that time I took two days off work and hibernated, feeling hopeless and majorly depressed the first day. The next day I went to the pdoc and told her the effects of the new med I’d stopped. I went because my work demands a dr note to return to work. Telling her I felt like crap but have to work because I’m alone and have no back-up for money, I needed the note. She refused and said I’d get no note until I went through IOP.  I went and after week 3 I told a dr there I’m ok and can’t continue because I must work. Got the note, no problem. They said they wanted me to stay off at least 2 more weeks, maybe more, but gave me the release. *sigh*
      Been back at work a couple wks and doing pretty well. The first of the month came and I had no way to pay my rent. A small disability pymt was expected but hadn’t arrived (not enough for rent anyway). The way our pay works, and since I was gone 3 wks, no pay for me until the end of the month.
      Yesterday I came home to a 3 day notice on my door. The property management is a big corporation and not willing to even give a few days and see from my dr release I’ve been out, doctor’s orders. I’ve asked a couple of people but they can’t help. I’m sad that I’ve failed. Loathing myself and my illness at all right now, I’m just hit in the face how much having this sucks. 
      The costs go way beyond buying something one doesn’t need. Even when doing things the way they’re supposed to be done, it still can bite ya in the butt. Tired. Exhausted. Fed up.
      Rant over.

• By InkBlot2771
      Hi all,
      I'm currently having real difficulty at work and with a lot of my other relationships.
      The issue is that I'm constantly being talked over and really have to fight to be heard at all.
      I stutter slightly so that doesn't help me, and no-one seems to give a fuck most of the time.
      At work it is particularly bad because my bosses will start to talk over me before I've finished half a sentence. This is an issue because I work as a software developer and communication is key to getting my job done.
      The issue is so bad at work that every Sunday before I go to work I get angry thinking about having to deal with any of them. I feel that part of the issue is discrimination, because of my illness (I regret telling folk at work about it). I don't feel that I can move onto another job because I'm becoming unstable because it is leaving me feeling alienated. Other folk in the office seem to be following the example of what the bosses are doing.
      I've tried to tell the bosses that they're doing this, but I'm being largely ignored.
      Does anyone have any experience on how to deal with this sort of issue?
    • By Dr. Marshall
      The thing is we're moving in few months. I will need to change my job. The place we're moving into is quite far away from the city we live now in our apartment. I might find a job somewhere closer but I have another oportunity from my cousin. She works for the company where you can just work from home. I could do what I do now proffessionally, but I could appear in the office just from time to time.
      What do you think? Is it a good idea for someone with a bit of social anxiety? Or will it only deepen my phobias? My therpiest is very sceptic about that as she thinks i shoud be more among people. I really liked the job I've had and the people there. But there is always a risk that in another office it might not be that good. On the other hand I don't know if i want to stay at home most of the time and separate myself from the people even more.
      If you have any ideas or experiences please share.
    • By StarCrazy
      So I first had issues with the psychosis when i was 16.  Im 26 now.
      I tried to go back to school when i was 17 but I was asleep far too much to be able to get to classes and do all the work
      Since then I have really not done much. I've never worked. No work experience. I did a course or two here and their but that's about it.

Recently my Dad has suddenly started on the 'you need to get a job' thing once again. 
      The last time this happened I ended up moving out for two years because it was driving me nuts and was very stressful. He doesn't seem to recognise what my condition is and instead sees it as laziness.
      But simultaneously I do realise that I ought to be doing something. My struggle is finding work/courses/volunteering that I actually give a 'F' about. 
      On top of that I sleep a lot (easily 12 hours a day if not usually more) and I don't drive so it has to be relatively close to me. (I get the bus a lot but is very slow)

So much of it just seems so meaningless, and uninteresting, that even if I had an easy way to get to/from it, I still wouldn't really care about the activity.

I had an Occupational Therapist work with me a while ago, and its the only patient/professional relationship I've been in that completely broke down. She didn't seem to understand that I didn't care about the actives she had lined up for me. She kept saying things like "Everyone has to start somewhere" - "when I was your age I did all kinds of lousy jobs" which while I do understand, it doesn't make me any more motivated to do it. Working with her was the only time I've tried to take my own life because I didn't feel like life was worth living.
      (She also wouldn't listen or wasn't qualified to address my psychotic problems, and persuaded me to move into a place that I  absolutely detested)

"You should be thankful for doing these activities" really though? It often felt (and still feels) like I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it because I'm being told to do it.

Does anyone have any practical advice to be motivated for work/volunteering?
      Any jobs or volunteering that someone with schizoaffective disorder can do well?

Ive looked over my local volunteering website many times and I'm almost always never impressed or optimistic about what I find.
      There's also really not that much advice out there for finding and surviving work for schizophrenics