CrazyBoards.org

boycott southwest airlines?

This is disgusting, if it is indeed true. This story comes from a gossip website so it's hard to know it's validity. But apparently SW airlines made two women leave the plane for kissing. This is a 'family' airline, the stewardess said. f'ck her and the plane she rode in on.

Here is the link to the story.

Anyone else hear about this?

CBS News

Leisha Hailey took to Twitter on Monday to call for a boycott of the carrier after a flight attendant told them other passengers had complained after witnessing the affection.

Her first tweet said: "I have been discriminated against." She later added, "Since when is showing affection to someone you love illegal?"

Southwest Airlines Co. responded on its website with a four-sentence response.

"Initial reports indicate that we received several passenger complaints characterizing the behavior as excessive. Our crew, responsible for the comfort of all Customers on board, approached the passengers based solely on behavior and not gender," it said.

It is everywhere, it is in the L A Times.

SW airlines also kicked a man off a flight for being too fat. Can you imagine???

I have never liked them anyway. It seemed like PE teachers as flight attendants. sort of an odd airline

now I will never fly them

Southwest has by far been the most accomodating and easy to deal with airline I've dealt with. I won't fly other carriers.

I am inclined to believe that Southwest's story is plausible-- that it was the excessive PDA and complaints of other passengers over it being a gender issue.

I can totally see people complaining about a hetero couple making out excessively. And if people are too fat to fit in the seats, and won't pay for two seats, any airline will boot them. Sucks, but really, what are they supposed to do?

I can totally see people complaining about a hetero couple making out excessively. And if people are too fat to fit in the seats, and won't pay for two seats, any airline will boot them. Sucks, but really, what are they supposed to do?

I agree but no where can I find indications they were making out. Hopefully someone will interview a passenger, someone who actually saw this "event".

I don't think this warrants being thrown off the plane. If things were excessive, ask them to stop.

nf

Leisha Hailey's publicist, Libby Coffey, has said that there was "no publicity stunt". But the media frenzy has provided more focus and attention than any purchased publicity ever could have. With media attention already being focused on the carrier from previous events, the dust-up may send politics begging for coverage.

I too would like to hear from one or more of the passengers who registered complaints and from others who witnessed the escalation of the conversation between the couple and the flight attendant.

It sounds pretty typical. It wasn't the kissing that got them in trouble. They started cussing at the stewardess after they were asked to stop. Failing to comply with the orders of a flight attendant is a federal felony.

I think the airline was in the right here, assuming that's actually how things went down.

A few points.

First, if multiple people on the plane were complaining even if they were being complete homophobes and applying a double standard, the flight attendant was in a bind and had to say something. If people complain, you have to address it, and if it's about another passenger, saying something polite to that other passenger is the best way to go.

Now let's assume the flight attendant is a total homophobe and took it upon him or herself to make a stand for his or her beliefs and tell those two lesbos to knock it off. In that instance, you can't fault an entire airline for one rogue employee acting like an asshole. No amount of training and anti-discrimination policy is going to make sure every single employee acts correctly. From everything I've read, Southwest is pretty progressive in terms of their corporate policies on gay and lesbian issues. In this scenario, it would be telling to see how the airline deals with that employee.

I don't know, last time I checked we're gearing up for an interim presidential election and we're in a recession, and this is a lot of publicity over nothing. I'm all for gay, lesbian, and transgender rights, but there are so many other ways to go about ensuring them-- like making sure these Bible-thumping assholes in our government don't get elected and re-elected, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add, my mother and step-father got banned from flying southwest ever because they were sharing a blanket and the flight attendant thought they were doing something naughty underneath it. Now whether or not they were doing something naughty, I can't say, I wouldn't put it past them. But they got all belligerent and now they are on the no fly list for Southwest.

Just wanted to add, my mother and step-father got banned from flying southwest ever because they were sharing a blanket and the flight attendant thought they were doing something naughty underneath it. Now whether or not they were doing something naughty, I can't say, I wouldn't put it past them. But they got all belligerent and now they are on the no fly list for Southwest.

It's generally the getting belligerent part that gets people in trouble. I imagine you could strip naked on a plane and as long as you said "yes sir" or "yes mam" when told to put your clothes back on and come out better than arguing with a flight attendant about pulling up your pants or something.

Archived