CrazyBoards.org

lacking a diagnosis

My current situation is that my pdoc and my counselor are very hesitant to consider that I might have some degree of bipolar disorder. (Do they fear being sued?)

My husband and my counselor both tell me I should trust myself more but then I get some invalidating crap while they try to label it as something else or maybe just avoiding a label altogether.

I feel very strongly that I am Bipolar I, though relatively minor.

Primary problem was depression, first major depressive episode about age 7, been through many,

recently been through about 5 or 6 weeks of hypomania type of stuff with a brief spike of manic episode where I just really enjoyed the hell out of doing the dishes. I hate doing the dishes but I was seriously on top of the world. The week before that I was delusional. I keep thinking I'm being spied on or watched...mostly I think it's my husband but there's other stuff like it. He has done everything he could possibly do to try and convince me that he's not...so now I'm back to being sorta hypo manic but with the addition of being super horny...and did I mention distractability?

There is other stuff too but anything too far into the past is a little hard to sort out.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I don't think the lack of diagnosis is because they are afraid of being sued. More likely they are just not certain and don't want to put a DX on you which has stigma until they are sure. There is something called bipolar nos. You write that you have been delusional and paranoid, plus the depression and some hypomania. That is not exactly normal. Go get a second opinion.

The cool thing about a diagnosis is then you can get treated! Yay, I like being stable.

Guest Vapourware

How long have you been seeing them? What sort of treatment are they giving you at the moment? Perhaps they are looking for a more comprehensive clinical history from their observations before making a dx. You may also want to sit down with them both and have a frank discussion about why they haven't given you a label and why you think you have bipolar. If all else fails, you can always get a second opinion.

I think it's mainly my counselor that I'm annoyed with. I haven't been seeing her for very long. About 2 months.

I think I'll try to talk to her about it. I'm generally pretty passive and I HATE to assert myself about anything but I think that I just might have to.

It's just that I'm generally quiet and when I DO have something to say and it's something I feel strongly about,enough so that I talk about stuff that I find mildly embarrassing...to just talk about it and say(she was really trying not to offend me and put it as delicately as she could)that she thinks it's anxiety and me feeling weird about not being in a depressed state....I get what she's saying and I could see how that could happen but that is not what is going on with me.

I see my pdoc on Wednesday. I can't wait to see what he has to say...but I'm anticipating the addition of abilify on top of my effexor and trazodone...though he might surprise me.

Anyway...thanks for listening,everyone. It helps to get this stuff out of my head.

Archived