CrazyBoards.org

Can Benadryl interfere with my meds?

Hi guys

I had a bit of a breakdown today, flipflop in my mind. Felt like I went form Dr. Jekyl to Mr. hyde within an hour. It was disturbing. I had a panic attack while I was in traffic. Haven't had a panic attack in a long long time. Talking year and a half, however I used to have them all the time.

The only thing I did differently was take a benadryl early morning and this happened this afternoon.

Could be unrelated, wondering if anyone else has had a reaction like this. Thinking the benadryl may have played a trick on my mind. Sometimes mental changes cause me to panic.

I'm on 300mg Effexor XR 50mg Seroquel .5 ativan

Thank you for your time.

Benadryl makes most people sleepy, but it can have a paradoxical effect in some people. Like my son. You give him benadryl he is AWAKE man. So yes, I do find benadryl to be psychoactive under certain circumstances. Is this the first time you have taken it? The first time you have taken it with meds?

Anna

• 3 months later...

Are you in the US or the UK?

In the US, Benadryl contains diphenhydramine, the same as Piriton. In most people it's quite sedating, but a few people find it makes them more alert.

In the UK, Benadryl contains acrivastine, which is a whole different kettle of fish. As well as being an antihistamine, it's an opiate potentiator - so it speeds up / boosts the effect of any opioid painkillers you're on. If it can do that, I daresay it also affects other medications, but I can't really remember how.

It's worth talking over with your doctor which antihistamine he/she feels would be least likely to affect your other meds.

• 2 months later...