CrazyBoards.org

Restless legs meds for crazy people

I paid a lot of money for a sleep study a year ago. They faxed it to my old GP, who i am now realizing was not very good. He told me it was totally normal and I would never sleep right. I saw my neurologist about my migraines and asked about their sleep clinic. He referred me to their sleep neurologist and asked me to bring a copy of the sleep study.

She basically told me in addition to getting barely any REM sleep, I have restless legs syndrome on top of insomnia. She went over sleep hygiene, which I already DO since every doctor I've been has gone over it with me. She told me there were meds for RLS so I wouldn't be kicking my boyfriend out of bed and waking up all night, but she would not prescribe them to me because I was bipolar. She said I was on klonopin already and that would help. I was taking klonopin at the time OF the sleep study which she looked at to diagnose me.

I'm supposed to keep a sleep chart, ONLY get in bed when I'm tired, and go back in 3 weeks. I don't get tired. She also tells me I will not tell my boss to fuck off and get sick AGAIN unless I don't sleep for 21 days. My past experience tells me 5-6 days is when I start getting squirrely. And I am currently on 2 months of antibiotics and had to get 2 shots at urgent care because I got sick from NOT SLEEPING

Talk to your pdoc about the possibility of using Mirapex. It's a dopamine agonist, so it's a good idea that you get the ok from him/her rather than going elsewhere. You should be able to take it. It's been used in studies with Bipolar. Your pdoc may even be able to prescribe it if they think it's a good idea. I don't know where the RLS properties come from, so it's possible your meds could affect that.. but I don't believe the Mirapex would affect your meds. Anyway, it's worth asking about.

My pdoc told me how to stop RLS and it really works for me, he uses it himself too as he suffers from it. Drink Schweppes Indian Tonic water before you go to bed, and if you get any symptoms during the night drink more. I find 1/2 to 1 glass of it helps. I think it is the quinine in it that does the trick.

Argh. I saw my pdoc today and she said it sounds like this sleep neurologist has never treated a bipolar person before. She also told me since she works for the state, she can't write me a prescription for RLS meds because they are not psychiatric meds and she would get in trouble.

I have a follow up appointment with the sleep neurologist in November and she wants to see me IMMEDIATELY afterwards.

So basically I have 1 dr refusing to treat me, one who can't, and I'm still waking up all night with a boyfriend on the couch because I've kicked him out of bed AGAIN

It sounds like you should try to get your pdoc and neurologist to talk, or find someone else to rx the RLS med. You could always try your GP. A note from your pdoc saying that it would be alright from the psych standpoint may work.

Archived