CrazyBoards.org

Best help for anxitey i have found so far....

I wear apple or orange sticker on my skin, and for me i do this because i feel it helps with my anxiety and pain. But people say its not normal and its embarrassing when i wear them were you can see it in public. Do you think this is weird? It helps calm me down and i guess you could say they are powerful at collecting the negative energy that make me nervous. Although i still a bit of anxiety. Does anyone else do this? I don't think its weird or embarrassing. What do you think?

Guest Vapourware

If it helps you, then by all means, continue. Perhaps you may want to wear the stickers in less conspicuous places?

whatever small thing soothes you is a good thing. if you can keep it low-key it will be easier to get by without being questioned about it.

when we were kids me and my brother collected those stickers off the fruit, on a cabinet in the kitchen, in two rows, one for him one for me. it was like a race to see who got more. I still have a fondness for those little stickers

Sounds life a fine coping mechanism to me. As long as they don't fall off! I wear bracelets, the bright colored jelly kind. I'm in my 30s, and I have to find them in the kid section, but I don't care ;) They work for me, and I can fidget with them when I'm getting anxious. You are the one who knows what works for you. Good for you for doing something about your anxiety. And screw everyone else ;)

I do equally "strange" things... sticking kids stickers on my arms, wrapping wool around my arm so I can fiddle with it, purposely wearing hoddies so I can fiddle with the string that hangs down, keeping key chains on my belt (even with no key), etc. All so that I can do something that distracts me. People think it's odd, but whatever works, you know? Those people have no idea what I would be feeling if I didn't have anything.

Just ignore other people. You do what you need to do to stay sane.

N

I don't think this qualifies as a "bad" coping skill if it helps you. Plus, I mean, unless you are going to a job interview, does it matter what others think?

You could work on putting them in less conspicuous places, or maybe work on transferring whatever you use to "collect" negative energy into something more socially appropriate like a bracelet if you'd like.

I'd also address the collecting negative energy at all thing in therapy. Maybe there are other ways that you could work on not doing that, or feeling as though you are having to do that.

Anna

Archived