CrazyBoards.org

Whats the difference between Xr, Er and Ir?

Whats the difference between Xr, Er, Ir? How do the different ones affect the medication on the body and the dosages? For example in the case of effexor? I have seen Effexor xr and i just wonder what that means and how if it does changes the dose or side effects on the body.

XR/ER are extended release, Generally for once daily dosing so you don't have to take a second ... or third pill. (Generally)

IR is instant release, All at once.

Some medications have a long enough half life that an ER pill isn't needed. Some IR meds need an ER version but its not released till the patent is about to expire as to extend their foothold on that medication.

If you're curious about the words themselves, XR generally means "extended release," ER "extended release," and IR "immediate release." XL is also "extended release." There's an SL, too, that I can't remember..."slow release," maybe?

Also, it is quite interesting how differently people MAY respond to ER/XR/IR meds, and how it can impact side effects. I used to see it as merely a useful way that drug companies extended their patents, but honestly, after having tried several ER/XR meds, they really CAN act differently.

For example, XR seroquel can make some people less sleepy/hungry as it's slow release, so they may be able to use it in the daytime, while still remaining functional.

With stims, XR releases can be very helpful in terms of coping with the rollercoaster highs and lows.

There are certainly meds with such long half lives, that an XR release would just be ridiculous-- XR prozac for example. But it really can make a difference in some meds.

Anna

When it comes to dosages is xr the same as ir? for example is 225 mg effexor ir the same as 225mg effexor xr?

I am just curious because my pdoc said that's what i am going on if i get more depressed but i am not sure which one is better. does xr give you less side effects? I am also worried about withdraws with it too would xr or ir be better for that?

They're technically the same amount, really, I believe. They may WORK slightly differently, but it's the same amount of medication.

Not having been on effexor or anything, but if you get bad w/d effects from effexor, I HIGHLY doubt whether being on the er or xr will make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Anna

I can only speak about Wellbutrin. I tried all three types, IR (immediate release), SR (sustained released), XL (extended release)

I was afraid to try to much med at first so I went with the IR tablets and cut them up. However, because they dumped all of the med all at once, I had the MOST side effects with the IR even though I was on a lower dosage.

Next I moved on to the SR, once again because I wanted only lower dosages. I believe they are designed for 12 hours each. This did not work for me at all. The med would poop out around the worst time of day for my depression. In some ways, the SR was the least effective for my body.

I finally got the courage to try the lowest Xl version of Wellbutrin. I loved, loved the extended release. I never felt the drug leaving my body, it seemed to spread out the med so slowly I never felt the drug enter my body either. (I only use the brand and have never tried the generic which supposedly is only different in the release method.)

However, with ambien the extended release pill did not work at all for me. They call this one CR. Even though the regular ambien only lasts for a few hours, the extended release actually kept me up all night. I think small amounts of this med released into my body chemistry agitated my sleep more than the regular ambien, which I guess would be called an immediate release pill.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but from my experience you have to try a med to really see how the release methods will work with your body chemistry. My FIL combines wellbutrin IR and SR pills. I could never do that but it works for him.

Archived