CrazyBoards.org

Remeron and Wellbutrin?

I just got prescribed remeron 15mgs per day which I'm going to give a shot. Only thing I'm really worried about is if it makes me tired all the time. But I saw either on here or another forum that someone was taking remeron and wellbutrin along with another drug I don't remember. But anyways would this be a good combo? It seems like it could be since the wellbutrin could combat the tiredness since it's a stimulant. I will of course check with my doctor, but I just wanted to see what people here thought. I still have a huge bottle of wellbutrin I ended up not taking because while it helped my focus it also made me irritable and messed with my sleep a bit. But if I was also taking remeron I might not have those problems.

Edited by stankydrawz

Try the Remeron first, the sedation might not happen and if it does happen it might wear off. Wellbutrin + Remeron is a pretty good combo, I think (one I've considered, anyway), but don't just add Wellbutrin without discussing it with your doctor first.

I take 30 mg Remeron and 300 mg wellbutrin xl..It changed my life.I went from a couch surfing hermit to actually having a life. But as the above poster mentioned..talk to your doctor. Turns out we ARE snowflakes and meds can affect everyone differently.

I take 45 mg Remeron and 150 mg Wellbutrin SR. I can't really say that this combination has helped me much. Wellbutrin has never helped me despite how good it looks "on paper." I'm probably to ask to change to Celexa + Remeron.

Remeron is quite sedating. There's no way to get around that except to wait it out - the daytime sedation will go away in a week or two. You'll still sleep well though and require more sleep. From my experience and from what all my pdocs have said, 15 mg is a low dose that is mostly used for sleep. The antidepressant activitiy starts to optimize at 30 mg or 45 mg. I took higher than 45 mg, but it had me jumping out of my skin because I was so anxious.

Yes, it might be best to see how remeron affects you singly first. The rule of "add one thing at a time so you actually know what it does" is fairly useful here.

Technically, WB is not in the stim class, though it does activate most people.

jT you aren't really on a therapeutic dose of WB. If it's not helping you, you might ask for an increase. Typically, people are at 300 m.g., so that might be worth a shot.

I do think remeron/WB might be a useful combo for many people, but see how you do on just the first medication I'd advise. WB can always be tried later.

Anna

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been giving the remeron a shot... The first night I took half a 15mg and slept about 12 hours and was still tired until about 10pm the next day. Since then I've broken the 15mg pills into halves and quarters. I took 2 quarters throughout the day today and 1mg of xanax and it didn't seem to make me too tired. I was able to go lift weights. Anyways my question is would it make sense for me to to gradually increase to taking 3 and then 4 quarters spread out through the day? That way I can make sure it's not making me too tired and my body can get used to it? Or is it better to take it all at once?

Edited by stankydrawz

• 1 month later...

stankydrawz I am not sure if taking Remeron through out the day is a great idea..I generally take it before bedtime. The tiredness does abate after a while.

Are you getting the "Remeron dreams"? I remember those...weird!

I'm on 30mg Remeron and Effexor as well. I also take it all at night. I'm not sure if you will have increased sedation if you are taking it during the day. I personally wouldn't take my Remeron during the day. It doesn't make me hungry, or sleepy during the day, but I do need 10 hours sleep. That could be my other meds though.

• 9 months later...

If you think Remeron dreams are trippy, try Wellremtrion dreams.

For my depression, my doctor put me on 15 mg of Remeron back in March and by April I was up to 30 mg. I took these steadily until a week ago, when I requested to be put on Wellbutrin. The problem with Remeron was that it was too much of a sedative and I had no energy throughout the day, and I had a lot of trouble focusing (which is why Wellbutrin seemed to be such a good fit). Rather than beginning to taper me off Remeron, he added 150 mg of Wellbutrin on top of my 30 mg of Remeron (so I'd be taking Remeron at night and Wellbutrin in the morning). I noticed that I had a ton of energy for the first couple of days, until the 3rd morning, when I got really bad nausea that started at about 10 am and peaked/acid reflux at 11:30 then subsided by the end of the day. So I called my doctor and he told me to cut my Remerons in half and take a half (15 mg) every night, and one 150 mg Wellbutrin every other morning.What I found is that the nausea never improved and the same thing was happening, but only on Wellbutrin "on" days...so I'd get really sick on days where I took the Wellbutrin but felt much better when I was off it. I assume this is a normal drug reaction, but I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this?

I just started remeron today for sleep at 30mg. Going to take it quite soon. I've been on wellbutrin for well over a year, at 300mg, but I'm also on cipralex 10mg, not sure if the three anti-depressants together are going to cause some problems for me.

Curious about the weight gain, has anyone put on a lot of weight while on remeron? If so, was it because of increased appetite or the kind of weight that just miraculously appears (had this with olanzapine.)

If you think Remeron dreams are trippy, try Wellremtrion dreams.

For my depression, my doctor put me on 15 mg of Remeron back in March and by April I was up to 30 mg. I took these steadily until a week ago, when I requested to be put on Wellbutrin. The problem with Remeron was that it was too much of a sedative and I had no energy throughout the day, and I had a lot of trouble focusing (which is why Wellbutrin seemed to be such a good fit). Rather than beginning to taper me off Remeron, he added 150 mg of Wellbutrin on top of my 30 mg of Remeron (so I'd be taking Remeron at night and Wellbutrin in the morning). I noticed that I had a ton of energy for the first couple of days, until the 3rd morning, when I got really bad nausea that started at about 10 am and peaked/acid reflux at 11:30 then subsided by the end of the day. So I called my doctor and he told me to cut my Remerons in half and take a half (15 mg) every night, and one 150 mg Wellbutrin every other morning.What I found is that the nausea never improved and the same thing was happening, but only on Wellbutrin "on" days...so I'd get really sick on days where I took the Wellbutrin but felt much better when I was off it. I assume this is a normal drug reaction, but I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this?

Of course this is subjective for each person, but when I missed a dose/day of wellbutrin by accident I would get terrible nausea for most of the day. Then again I take Tums almost every day so take from that what you will.

• 4 years later...

Hi all, I started taking Remeron for sleep, 7.5mg, and it worked like a charm.  I am also taking 150mg of Wellbutrin SR twice a day (300mg).  My Dr. has increased my Remeron to 15mg recently (at bedtime).  The thing with Remeron is that it is a sleep aid in low doses and an energy booster in doses above 15mg. They don't know why this is yet. It hasn't affected my sleep and I think it takes awhile to kick in, like at 7 or 8am. Then I'm energized for the day.  Most doctors who prescribe Remeron (>15mg) with the combo of Wellbutrin (>300mg) call it "California Rocket Fuel" .  Seem the higher the dose of Remeron, the more energy you will have.  I have found this to be true from my personal experiences. Don't just increase your dose!!!! Always, check with your doctor or Psych!  I have not felt the energy boost when I have increased the Wellbutrin along with the Remeron. Hope this helps!

-Practice compassion-

• 2 years later...

I recently started 30mg mirtazapine ( upped from 15mg after 10 days) and bupropion sr 150mg. 1xd and 600mg gabapentin once a day... have been on this combo for sever MDD , bipolar 1 and acute anxiety for 3 weeks now and getting some MAJOR improvement. Def not 100% but not feeling like a suicidal slug on salt. Feel like beging a hypomanic mixed episode cycle brewing and NEED to add a AP. Really wanna try rexulti but will take up to 8weeks to get approval... Thinking of taking abilify while waiting.... Having serious thoughts and daydreams about strangaling my moms 🐱. And will enjoy doing it. Strangled two cats as a young adult and kinda felt guilty.... I take this as a bad sign.... Any ideas?

On 12/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, JunkieJay said:

Having serious thoughts and daydreams about strangaling my moms 🐱. And will enjoy doing it. Strangled two cats as a young adult and kinda felt guilty.... I take this as a bad sign.... Any ideas?

If you are having thoughts and daydreams of strangling your mother (and enjoying it), you need to go to ER right away.......This is very serious....You need help right away...Please don't wait..!!

Does your pdoc know you strangled 2 cats in the past?......Again, this is serious, and you need to get to a hospital--call an ambulance if you have to...Call 911 if you're in the U.S.

Edited by CrazyRedhead