CrazyBoards.org

Falling off the wagon...

I'm a skin picker, have been since puberty. It didn't ever get to the super-compulsive, I-loose-time-and-can't-stop-even-if-I-want-to stage until a few months ago when my latest anxiety med pooped out. At least, that's what I tell myself. The more I say it, the more I realize it's not true. I went to see a counselor one time a few weeks back and he gave me some good ideas on how to cope that worked for a little while. I put dimmer light bulbs in my bathroom and threw away my super high magnifying mirror, so I couldn't search my skin for minute imperfections. The first 2 weeks, it worked great and I felt CLEAN, body and soul. But now, it's just adding to my anxiety. I used to only pick at very specific times. It felt very controlled that way. Now, I get attacks where I have to pick and I can't stop.

I'm tapering off Paxil and am on day 5 of Effexor IR (75mg). Lots of things are sucking right now. But I feel like this is the one thing I should be able to control.

And I'm failing at it.

Have you tried E.M.D.R.? I was a picker, digger, for 21 years.....that therapy was the only thing that stopped it. I tried everything, this

was a miracle!! Sorry you're going through this, know there is a cure. The trick is remembering when the pain first started...in my case, it stemmed from an event in childhood (though there were many events, one in particular was stuck in my sub(un?)consciousness.

I've searched for a reason for a long time. Really, I think it might be purely behavioral. It just feels good, and I don't like knowing there's guck in my skin. Maybe it stems from body image issues, but, while present, that's never been a huge issue for me. But what is EMDR?

Archived