CrazyBoards.org

bipolar and binge eating

I tend to be the opposite. I binge eat because of depressive episodes. When I get manic I feel like I don't need to eat. I live off of coffee to enhance the mania. I eat maybe once a day then and it's a small meal.

The more depressed I am, the more I binge eat. Bingeing is actually a fairly good depression marker for me and a symptom I pay attention to. If it's getting bad then I know I need to call the pdoc. Not that he can fix binge eating, but he can help with depression.

i guess i'm the opposite. i had to force myself to eat when i was depressed. hypo, i feel like i'm addicted to sugar. as soon as i start eating something sweet like cookies or candy i won't stop until they're all gone. and if the store is still open i'll go and get more. i lost weight while depressed, but gained it all back plus 5 kilos more now. don't know if it's being hypo or the meds i'm on.

I was wondering if anyone ever has binge eating as a part of a hypomanic or manic episode?

Me me me me me. I also binge eat when I'm depressed. Therefore, i binge eat as a result of my bp II. When it's under control I maintain my weight and eating aside from the weight I gained when I went on some of these weight-gainer meds.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the responses!

I can totally relate to binge eating while depressed...but for about the last month or so I've had the most horrendous eating. At first I was thinking it was maybe because of anxiety/stress (I've got some relationship stuff going on) but now that I've been feeling relatively normal for the last 3 days or so, It kinda seems like I might have been eating to try and chill out. I was kinda feeling revved up and couldn't focus on hardly anything and being aggravated with myself for not getting anything done.

It could be mostly the relationship stress. About 12 yrs ago, during the last yr of my 2nd marriage I gained like 70 lbs.

I guess I should be thankful that I'm aware of it. Maybe I can stop before I gain any more.

I'm still hesitant to chalk it up to that. I went pretty quickly from "anxious busy head" to "normal",pretty much over night. The appetite changes with that were just as drastic...from "insatiable bottomless pit" to "okay I can eat normally now".

Idk, I'll figure it out eventually.

I binge to feel better, hypo or depressed, but starving myself is a symptom either way. It makes no sense, but i guess it's extremes both ways. Food is an issue, I have a love/hate relationship. I can see that is what it is, but I still feel crap about it.

I binge to feel better, hypo or depressed, but starving myself is a symptom either way. It makes no sense, but i guess it's extremes both ways. Food is an issue, I have a love/hate relationship. I can see that is what it is, but I still feel crap about it.

Sometimes I starve myself to lose weight after a depression. It's an effective way to lose weight fast but I know I'm wreaking havoc on my body.

When I'm very depressed, I don't eat because I don't have the energy to get food. When I'm mildly depressed, I binge because eating feels like one of the few enjoyable things I can do.

My eating varies when hypomanic...sometimes I'm too wrapped up in a project to break for food, but sometimes I get really excited about cooking and end up making meal after meal for myself. I also binge when I'm feeling physical agitation, which is often a symptom of my hypomania, but also of my more agitated anxiety periods. The thing that's caused me to gain the most weight, though, has definitely been rapid cycling.

When I'm very depressed, I don't eat because I don't have the energy to get food. When I'm mildly depressed, I binge because eating feels like one of the few enjoyable things I can do.

My eating varies when hypomanic...sometimes I'm too wrapped up in a project to break for food, but sometimes I get really excited about cooking and end up making meal after meal for myself. I also binge when I'm feeling physical agitation, which is often a symptom of my hypomania, but also of my more agitated anxiety periods. The thing that's caused me to gain the most weight, though, has definitely been rapid cycling.

I can relate to all of this but especially the bolded parts...

I like how you wrote that.

I think I need to take some notes tonight. I see my pdoc tomorrow.

Again, thanks everyone.

Archived