CrazyBoards.org

I have this running commentary in my head a voice that says every thing I do or want to say or think or see or hear or etc. Sometimes it makes me laugh out loud when I am alone. Like I will get a funny thought that the voice thinks of and says. Then I laugh or smile at least. I don't like doing it in public because it can get me in trouble like someone would think I was laughing at them.

It can also say negative things to me like if I'm eating it will just be blabbering about me being fat or useless.

Does anyone else get this? I have had it for a long while. So I am pretty used to it. Is it worth mentioning to my treatment team? I'm sort of embarrassed by it. It makes me feel very abnormal.

• Like 1

Guest Recluse

I call this my 'head chatter' or if the voice is negative, the 'snakes in my head'. Yes, definitely I share your problem.

I also second y58, if your voice or voices is ever negative or critical, tell your pdoc/tdoc, they need to know.

Most of the time, it's just like having someone babbling along with me during the day.

Guest Vapourware

I used to have this problem for a very long time, except I didn't realise that they were hallucinations. I also had a voice that did a running commentary of my actions and also held conversations with me. I thought it was "internal monologue" and that everyone experienced it as well - but if the voice is viewed as a separate entity, which sounds like what it's doing here, then it's not "internal monologue", but an auditory hallucination. Medication helped removed the voice. Once the voice went away, I realised how peaceful my head can be now. My head is a much better place.

So, yes. Please let your treatment team know.

Guest Vapourware

For me, my voice was a separate entity. I didn't recognise it as any part of myself, so it wasn't my own voice reorganising or rechecking thoughts.

I used hold back and forth conversations with the voice. At various points in my life, I believed that it was God talking to me and offering me guidance.

It stopped being benign when the voice started telling me that I ought to kill myself.

• 1 month later...

First of all, I am glad to have found this forum. Here is my story. This is the first forum I have posted on...after doing a ton of research online - from sleep deprivation to mental illness and other related subjects. The has all happened to me rather suddenly and without warning.

A couple of weeks back, I was not getting much sleep...and I started to hear songs and the radio/cell phone calls...conversations...from my air conditioner. For the last week, basically specific radio stations and songs - generally a playlist of about 10-12 I was so focused on them...that during that week...I barely got any sleep and I was creating a reality that was not true and my own. I was trying to convince my family that I heard things...like the radio...but they could not hear it and it caused conflict by my insistence that what I was hearing was actually there. I recorded the songs on my digital recorder and played it back - I heard it clearly -- they did not.

Basically, a week ago at 3:30 in the morning, I heard a conversation from my dad...and someone else and I called his cell phone to explain my side of things. This never happened...and I thought it was. Needless to say, when I was talking through my parents door...at 4:00a.m...and I assured them I was ok...they got a bit worried. On Sunday morning I finally got some sleep...but not solid sleep to make up for my deficit. I was still dealing with an imaginary reality. It took a few hours more sleep until I realized just how deep the whole thing went.

Let me say, I am not a drug user, I don't drink or smoke or do anything that would cause this...and it's the only time it has ever happened. I am rational and calm and competent. Since the sleep, and this past week the radio and other cell phone stuff stopped...but there is one or sometimes two voices I still hear in the distance that are commenting or narrating or complimenting what I am doing...be it on the internet or when I am watching tv or designing something. For the most part...they are encouraging and complimentary...which I guess is not a bad thing. It may even help give foresight to things I write or do, but it's a very challenging thing to manage. I don't know what the solution is to dealing with them on a daily basis...and it's mostly in my room. I have tried sound therapy...different white noise things...and some make them more pronounced. I don't know the next step or what similar experienced people have had with this...but I hope this isn't the first stage of something more involved. Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated. At least I won't feel alone or bonkers. I certainly have not mentioned this to my family, basically just a good friend. The last thing I want is for people to treat me like a loon or with a false prejudices...when I know I am just plain not nuts. At least for now :) Thank you very much.

xtremefan | male | 39 | single

Guest Vapourware

We're a peer support site so we can't diagnose you, and you are aware that we're all basically nuts here, in some shape or form?

Anyways, I think there are a lot of reasons for your experiences. It's best to speak to a doctor about this and see what solutions they can offer. It could be from sleep deprivation [and if so, it would then be a matter of working out the cause of said sleep deprivation]. It could be from you hyperfocusing on external sounds and interpreting them as music, voices, etc. [which is fairly common]. Or, it could be the sign of mental health issues.

I agree that we really can't diagnose you here. It might be worth getting checked out by a doctor though, if it continues. You don't want things to worsen suddenly and all of a sudden you have no insight into what is happening, etc. A pdoc visit would probably not go amiss.... you could describe your symptoms and get either treatment or reassurance, depending on what it ends up being.

Anna

Thanks for the info and advice. I know it's hard to pinpoint why it's happening...since this is the first time ever...that's why I am grasping for answers or similar experiences. I just think it's odd that I can type something...and I can hear the voice repeat what I typed....or do. It's like a running critique of what I am doing. But, I have been trying to get regular sleep, play music and sound tones from the Brainwave Generator presets...and basically just trying to take control. It's a woman's voice, which makes it easier. But I still find it odd that the brain can create another person...almost with a personality and voice of their own. I think it's good to talk about...to the right people. At least I am not alone.

Does anyone have ideas of fans or window air conditioners causing certain vibrations or tones that are more likely to amplify or pick up the sounds ? Just curious. Thanks again. I'll try and find solutions and if I find something works, I will make sure to post it and share.

To One Voice,

xtremefan

You might want to read about the difference between hallucinations and illusions. With auditory illusions, an underlying sound is involved in production of the illusion. Such as, a motor, an air conditioner, a refrigerator, a fan, a voice, rustling leaves, a barking dog. Illusions are not true hallucinations. With auditory hallucinations, there is no underlying sound involved in production of the hallucination. That is the difference. With illusions, your brain is misinterpreting an underlying sound. I get both hallucinations and illusions.

ETA: adding a clarifying statement

Edited by y58