CrazyBoards.org

I need more options

Damik

There are some murmurings of ECT going around.

I know people on here have suggested I give Emsam a longer trial, it has been almost a month.

The thing is my suicidal desires are real high, the only thing keeping me from acting on them is the fact that I have no money and I don't have the time needed for IP if I messed up. Even still I've had desperate thoughts like covering myself with the last of my Emsam patches and binging on cheddar cheese. I'm not sure it would do anything but the thoughts been there.

I don't know what other options I have. Emsam is the only MAOI I've been on, but I don't think any of the others would be a good choice for me because if they don't work I would be so tempted to eat my way to a hypertensive crisis.

I know that a lot of people have said that ECT has saved their lives, but it frightens me and I wonder if I've exhausted all my options yet.

ECT is a good option for those who do not respond adequately to meds. It's nothing to be scared of and has helped many.

Have you tried any antidepressant combos? At one time, I had success with the combo mirtazapine + citalopram + bupropion. Some people swear by the combo mirtazapine + venlafaxine. I could not exist on a single antidepressant because I just don't respond to antidepressants.

Has there ever been an AD that you responded to even if it was just very slightly? If so that is the AD to build a combo around.

I was going to suggest carbamazepine (Tegretol), but I see that you've tried it and are currently on Trileptal. When you tried Tegretol, did you try the chewable tablets? I found that there is a huge difference between the chewable tablets and the regular tablets. I will only take the chewable tablets.

But again, don't be afraid of ECT. I helps many people who do not respond to meds.

ECT absolutely saved my life. I had very mild memory loss with it. It's something to consider; especially since you tried an MAOI. I understand it being scary, it certainly was for me. I had gotten to the point where I figured "what the hell" since otherwise I was unlikely to come out the other side alive. I had about ten months of stability. Then I messed up and, with my doc's consent, went down on my Lexapro. Although I am now on an even higher dose, it doesn't seem to be working. I might be looking at ECT again myself. I can honestly say that right after it, and for a few months, I felt better than I had in years. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for the vast majority of depressed patients. Don't give up without giving it a try.

Prozac worked when I first went on AD, Lexapro worked for a year and then just stopped. But I've only been on one AD at a time, no combos. When I was on Tegretol I completely lost my sense of taste. I didn't try the chewable ones, though.

I keep feeling like I don't try hard enough so that is why I'm getting better. I'm having a hard time taking my pills (though I do take my pills and on time) anyway because I worry that they are not working because they aren't meant to make me not depressed they are meant to make me compliant and that is why I feel like a mindless zombie while I'm on them.

They are meant to make you compliant with what? I've never had that feeling. In fact, I have come to view meds as my only real hope of feeling better. I've never thought of it as a control issue. I willingly take my pills because I want to feel better. I feel that my pdoc isn't doing enough to help my depression. My old pdoc used to treat my depression aggressively, but my new pdoc makes med adjustments slowly, too slowly in my eyes. The important thing is that I CHOOSE to take my meds to feel better.

Also, I do not feel like a zombie on my meds. If you do, have you discussed this with your pdoc? This could be a sign that you are on the wrong meds and/or the wrong dosages. The right meds will not make you feel like a zombie unless, of course, that is the only med you respond to.

I urge you to bring up antidepressant combos to your pdoc. It's very encouraging that you have responded at least partially to two antidepressants. The situation is not as bleak as it seems.

I'm going to call my pdoc Monday.

I just feel exhausted all the time and it is like I'm going through the motions. I don't know if it is the depression, but in my mind I blame the drugs.

I can't say for sure what I'm being made compliant for, but it's like what if the drugs make you lie in wait until the trigger is released. Your mind is primed and malleable for suggestion. You already have a MI so you are an easy scapegoat. All they have to do is aim you at a target and let you go.

Yes, what you said about your meds sounds like paranoia. Tell your pdoc.

Stress can make you feel exhausted, and from reading you posts from the last week, you are experiencing a lot of stress. Depression and stress can make you feel like you are just going through the motions. I have that too no matter what meds I'm on. I know that it is the depression.

You have a history of psychosis with your depression. Having thoughts that sound a little paranoid should be a big red flag for you.

I would call your pdoc ASAP and if you feel like you're at the point where you need ECT, talk to him or her about it.

I can't say for sure what I'm being made compliant for, but it's like what if the drugs make you lie in wait until the trigger is released. Your mind is primed and malleable for suggestion. You already have a MI so you are an easy scapegoat. All they have to do is aim you at a target and let you go.

Damik, that is paranoid thinking. You MI is talking. You need to check in with your pdoc.

nf

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      Has anyone (without a clinical thyroid disorder) tried Cytomel and had benefit with depression & fatigue? It seems most docs are resistant to trying it due to the possible heart/ bone density side effects.
      Even when it comes to thyroid disorders, There are some circles that disagree with the TSH lab ranges (what is "acceptable") and that TSH may not be good indicator of thyroid function for everyone anyway...
      I know T3 is rarely prescribed (even for ppl with thyroid issues). But I also read that in a few studies, folks with treatment-resistant depression (with no thyroid issues) can also benefit from using T3 as an add-on or "booster".

• By Blahblah
      I banged my head (outer eyebrow near temple) a week ago, on a cabinet door. I'm wondering if anyone here has got a concussion from this sort of thing? How do you know for sure?
      I iced it for an hour immediately, so very minimal bruising, but had a large lump (which is going down). Its very tender. My temple and eyebrow still feel "achey" (it's not really a headache). I also feel extra lethargic with brain fog, abrupt worsening of mood. I go to doc tomorrow, but I read that MRI scans cannot show mild concussions (only bone fractures or brain bleeding) and I also wonder if it's just my depression getting worse (versus a head injury from a bump)...?
      I HATE going to the Dr for this sort of thing... because I don't want to be labeled as "malingering" or a hypochondriac mental case. Doctors always see a diagnosis of depression on my file (and meds I'm on) and of course (being a woman also), it makes them more apt to always write things off as psychological or stress-related. 😞
    • By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

• By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.