CrazyBoards.org

Just curious whether anyone else can do stuff like this.

I don't think I'm alone in at times suffering from visual hallucinations usually right after I wake up. At first they were normally really scary, until one time when I saw something cool (a butterfly flying around) and wondered if I could make it come and land on my hand, and it did. Since then if I see a butterfly I can always make it do stuff, like fly to me or run up my arm or whatever. Sometimes I can make a scary thing like a spider turn into a butterfly if I think about it (this is harder though).

Since I learned I had some control over my hallucinations, they no longer bother me much, and often, are totally cool.

Well, I've never been able to do that, but just wanted to say that you're lucky your hypnopompic hallucinations aren't scary anymore! :D Geeze. Mine are always shadow people standing over me, crushing my chest, people laughing, rushes of wind, doors slamming... just awful.

I remember something similar after my first psychotic break. I was in the hospital and I had walked down the hall to shower, I'm standing there in the shower listening to the rambling hallucinations and I'm basically ignoring them in a decent, things will get better, sort of mood. Often times I find humor in very inappropriate places, for instance my psychosis, so I hear one of them say your hearing things, and another chimes in and says, no your hearing things.

This went back and forth for a few seconds while i chuckled at the irony of it all. Ever since my hallucinations have been manageable when I'm not too stressed, their just a function of my subconscious and though I can't directly manipulate them, I can affect them.

Making the voices say something idiotic has been my anti-delusion for a long time.

I couldn't begin to explain how, all I can say is I somehow maneuver my thoughts and affect my hallucinations indirectly. Test them and disprove them, when you disprove it once trust that they are not real and build on that thought.

On psychiatric rating scales, people who are interacting with their hallucinations are considered to be among the most ill. Personally I would much rather have you ignoring your hallucinations.

On psychiatric rating scales, people who are interacting with their hallucinations are considered to be among the most ill. Personally I would much rather have you ignoring your hallucinations.

y58, I usually like your posts. Here you come off as an authority when you are not. Don't do that unless you can cite credible sources to back you up. Please cite sources to back what you said. Include something specific to reality testing and delusion recognition thru interaction being an indication of poor prognosis. I'm not an expert in psychosis. I can see that some, maybe many, forms of interactions are not healthy, but saying that interaction for reality testing is a indicator of poor outcome just sounds all wrong to me. Since the claim was made, it should be supported by credible sources.

y58, I usually like your posts. Here you come off as an authority when you are not. Don't do that unless you can cite credible sources to back you up. Please cite sources to back what you said. Include something specific to reality testing and delusion recognition thru interaction being an indication of poor prognosis. I'm not an expert in psychosis. I can see that some, maybe many, forms of interactions are not healthy, but saying that interaction for reality testing is a indicator of poor outcome just sounds all wrong to me. Since the claim was made, it should be supported by credible sources.

I am not an authority by any means and did not mean to come off that way. It is worth saying that if these are hypnopompic/gogic then I think it is uncontested that they are of no medical concern. But I think you may have misinterpreted what I intended, and I did not state things as well as I could have. My comments were not about a patient's ability at reality testing or delusion recognition nor was I speaking to prognosis, so I hope that is a relief. What I was referring to was where (what level) certain kinds of hallucinatory behaviors appear on psychiatric rating scales that I have seen.

What I meant was that I wouldn't like to see the OP doing a behavior that very ill people do. I don't believe in playing with fire or encouraging someone to enjoyably interact with hallucinations, even if the activity is fun (for now).

What I had in mind when I posted was, for example,

"Appears to be responding to hallucinations" which is located at level 30 of the Kennedy K-Axis in the Psychological section. This scale goes from a high of 100 to a low of 10. Lower means more ill.

Similar to interacting with a visual, to my mind, is Carrying on a conversation with an hallucination, this item appears under the Bizarre Behavior scale of things that would "attract attention..... or concern from others" (if not done privately). Carrying on a conversation is found at level 6 out of 7. This comes from the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Higher means more ill.

I can work with my hallucinations and my mood. I don't consider this a bad thing, at all. In fact, I'd say the goal of therapy and stuff like that is to LEARN to do this. Sometimes it is by ignoring, but there are times that I am so ill that doing this is not really a possibility. When I see demons, I'd really prefer to hallucinate OTHER things, and also, to have some feelings of control over them. I AM aware that the ultimate goal is to NOT be hallucinating, and I work on that too.

However, I don't think this makes me "more ill". I think that makes me "smart". To be honest.

YOU try seeing demons for awhile and see how you fucking like it.

Anna

I think it's important that we recognize that we all have different ways of managing our psychosis. Anna and y58, I think you are both right! Interacting or attempting to control your hallucinations may not seem like the best option, but it is a very creative way to maintain a semblance of comfort (If you can) (ETA: while waiting for medications or if medications are ineffective) and sure beats being huddled in the corner holding your hands to your ears and screaming louder then the voices...just sayin!

I am not an authority by any means and did not mean to come off that way. It is worth saying that if these are hypnopompic/gogic then I think it is uncontested that they are of no medical concern. But I think you may have misinterpreted what I intended, and I did not state things as well as I could have. My comments were not about a patient's ability at reality testing or delusion recognition nor was I speaking to prognosis, so I hope that is a relief. What I was referring to was where (what level) certain kinds of hallucinatory behaviors appear on psychiatric rating scales that I have seen.

What I meant was that I wouldn't like to see the OP doing a behavior that very ill people do. I don't believe in playing with fire or encouraging someone to enjoyably interact with hallucinations, even if the activity is fun (for now).

What I had in mind when I posted was, for example,

"Appears to be responding to hallucinations" which is located at level 30 of the Kennedy K-Axis in the Psychological section. This scale goes from a high of 100 to a low of 10. Lower means more ill.

Similar to interacting with a visual, to my mind, is Carrying on a conversation with an hallucination, this item appears under the Bizarre Behavior scale of things that would "attract attention..... or concern from others" (if not done privately). Carrying on a conversation is found at level 6 out of 7. This comes from the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Higher means more ill.

It was mostly the sweeping generalization that I took issue with. There were different types of interactions discussed, reality testing being one of them. I probably could have worded my response better.

I don't doubt the rating scales or the reasons for the rankings. Even if the delusion is evil and you are interacting to make it less frightening, the fact that you are in such shape isn't a positive reality. At the same time, I suspect that you and Anna are talking different perspectives. Dunno.

Archived