CrazyBoards.org

I've done a good amount of Googling on this subject and it seems the methods are about as diverse as can be. I can't make sense of it and decipher which one is the best one. Can anyone help?

Find a comfortable seat and relax your body as much as you can. Close your eyes and breath in slowly, hold your breath for second if you like, and breath out slowly. You can follow your breath as it travels into your body, filling your abdomen, and then as it travels back out and the body deflates.

I usually breathe in and out through my nose which is what we did in yoga, but it really doesn't matter if you are more comfortable breathing through your mouth.

Breathing in and breathing out,

That's what life is all about . . .

--an old Sufi chant (I think)

Another way to dial in the right breathing technique(s) for you is through biofeedback. Now you can even buy the hardware and software to practice at home online fairly cheaply, though I would recommending a few sessions with a good professional first. Biofeedback narrowed the best techniques for me fairly quickly. Try to find a pro who also does neurofeedback, -very, very cool. The field has its share of hacks so shop carefully.

Effective breathing techniques are increasingly being recognized, especially in the western world, as essential to everything from good health, to connecting to the universe. It's free, the side effects are mostly positive, and I'm glad I saw the topic posted.

Archived