CrazyBoards.org

Reading the PI on venlafaxine

I was quite ataken back when I read the PI for this drug, especially when they said they don't fully understand how it actually works! I mean the amount of scientific development that goes into drugs surely they would be pretty well clued up on how they work, surely? Although perhaps with each new drug they will learn more and they will continue to get better, maybe?

I also take lithium, and they also don't know how that works and it has been used for over 60 years. Interesting nonetheless

Yeah, they really don't know. They might have a general idea as to the mechanism of action, but they don't necessary know why it works. It just does. Sorta.

Yeah, they really don't know. They might have a general idea as to the mechanism of action, but they don't necessary know why it works. It just does. Sorta.

You see it is that that I find intruiging. Some of the best scientists in the World, with huge budgets, develop these drugs yet it feels like hit and miss even though they do work. Then again scientists don't fully understand quantum mechanics, and nothing in science is 100% afterall so it feels like I am answering my own question!

We have a pretty good handle on quantum mechanics. Though I've never understood how we can know the smallest building blocks of matter yet our understanding of how the brain works is so poor.

Nearly all psych drugs in their PI contain language similar to "is thought to work by" and nothing more definite. I think that there are a lot of Nobel Prizes yet to be given out in neurology and neurochemistry when someone can find out something more difinite and can add to our primative understanding of how the brain works.

Yes, the complexity of head meds and the way they defy research by such intelligent people is rather amazing.

If it helps any, there are lots of non-psych meds that scientists don't fully understand.

We have a pretty good handle on quantum mechanics. Though I've never understood how we can know the smallest building blocks of matter yet our understanding of how the brain works is so poor.

As a lay person who doesn't know too much science, I'd just note that after everytime scientists say they've found the smallest, they find something smaller. So, I'm quite skeptical that we have a real handle on the smallest building blocks of matter. Infinity is a difficult concept. I think that knowing the brain will prove similar.

Neuroscience is, oddly, a pretty new field of research. It is perhaps not surprising that we don't understand much yet, considering our brains contain ~100 billion neurons and some 1000 trillion synaptic connections. It is complex. Way more complicated than quantum mechanics, if you ask me (ahem, speaking as a former neuroscience grad student, I may be biased). Also, unlike with quantum mechanics, our research on the brain is in many cases limited by ethical concerns. We can study lower animals, put electrodes into their brain, slice them up, lesion specific areas, etc. etc., but they just don't have the abilities or illnesses that human beings have. Technologies like fMRI, diffusion tensor imaging, etc. that can be used in humans are brand-new and badly limited in many ways. (Also: really expensive.) Hopefully in the next couple of decades our understanding will improve tremendously.

Nearly all psych drugs in their PI contain language similar to "is thought to work by" and nothing more definite. I think that there are a lot of Nobel Prizes yet to be given out in neurology and neurochemistry when someone can find out something more difinite and can add to our primative understanding of how the brain works.

Didn't Richard Feynman say 'If you think you understand Quantum Mechanics you don't understand Quantum Mechanics'?

Yeah, bottom line is most psych drugs== no clue. We have some IDEAS based on brain imaging, animal studies, and looking at dead people's brains. That doesn't really tell us much however.

This happens to be why most prescribing can be a bit hit or miss. Everyone's sx and brains are so individual, it can be hard to find the right meds, though an accurate dx can sometimes help (sometimes that actually goes in the reverse order, btw-- this drug works, so you may be X).

That said, I do try to understand as much as I can about WHY my meds work, but ultimately, I don't much care. I'd rather focus on the fact that they work.

I've been BP since '99 and I am just now figuring out my cocktail of "meds that work". It takes time.

Anna

Archived