CrazyBoards.org

Hello

I have not posted in a while this is mostly because I forgot my password and I didn't need to post anymore. Anyway I feel like I have come from a long journey with my depression. Atm I'm in a psotive mind state which is good however I am don't sure how long this will last. I've started my second year at uni studying law. I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who helped me throught my dark place you have been wonderful.

My question is there any way to 'control' the depression or any ways of stopping it from coming back?

I don't think there is anyway to stop depression from coming back, but the key is to recognize the early symptoms in yourself so that you can get treatment before it gets too much of a hold on you.

Mindfulness has been shown to be effective in preventing relapse of depression. You might want to look into it. Jon Kabat-Zinn has a whole bunch of good books. Try The Mindful Way Through Depression, or (non-depression-specific) Wherever You Go There You Are, if you want to learn a bit about it.

And: congratulations on your remission! :)

Keeping to a good sleep schedule, eating well, exercising and getting vitamin D (through sunlight if you can) might help. I say might, because depression is a tricky thing, and you can't totally prevent it from coming back if it's going to. I am glad you are feeling well. I hope I will be able to say that soon.

Are you on meds anymore? That was not mentioned.

If you are in remission and not on meds, I'd suggest things like fish oil for brain health, exercise, diet, sunlight, and all that good stuff. Continued therapy might not be a bad idea (or therapy if you don't have it) to have someone to assist you figure out what your early signs of relapse are, as well as good healthy habits to maintain.

Some people do have one episode of depression and it remains in remission. The more episodes you have, the more likely you are to have more (depressing, no?). So if you are in remission off meds you really want to do as much as you can to sustain it.

Anna

I have not taken med for a while as I hated them but if I end up wantifn to hurt myself again (be a cutter for the last 10 yrs) I would go straight on them again. I'm jsut trying to keep myself busy.. I am the photographer for the law society and heavily involed in uni life which I'm hoping this would help

I wish you all the best

Archived