CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
pnjunction

pnjunction boarding at the station

I'm new. I'm not new to bipolar, but it keeps me on my toes. I have trouble sleeping when I should, at night, and I'm trying to work out new meds with my psychiatrist to help me sleep. I drank too much until recently (8 mos.) and now I'm working to drink only infrequently. I'm having more success than I've had in the last eleven years. I chew tobacco and am working on quitting. It'll be the patch for me. I've tried cold turkey, and it's no fun and I can't do it. I start a lot of sentences with "I" when I'm having to write but am not at my best. Sorry. Make my sentences more interesting I will, hmm?!

After getting a decent start on college, I decided to major in astronomy/astrophysics.Then chemical engineering. Bam. Hospital after a year of treatment. Back to school. Tried to run 25 miles in the middle of the night without shoes on. Zot. Hospital again. Attacked by a psychopath with a knife. Slice. Hospital. The evil bastard is out there somewhere if he isn't already dead. Computers seemed to be a practical path so when I went back to school I chose that. I hate computers :)

I only know one other person who is bipolar -- that I know of. I don't know what to expect from this board, but I've never had a friend to discuss this with, although I've told a few a little about what I've been through. I'm fascinated by the phenomenology (why not use the biggest word I can think of?) of psychosis, as I've been dxed with bipolar with psychotic features (very fun and exciting sometimes). Long story short, I did not pass muster with the secret-agent people. I was disappointed.

Telling the difference between MI-induced changes in personality and the natural changes of leaving adolescence and approaching middle age is something I'm having trouble doing. How early was a affected by mental illness? What about me is me and what is bd-altered me? (I'm myself either way, but I still wonder.) I go to see a person on campus weekly. She's great, the kind of person who makes me want to become a therapist (too late for that, but my roommate and wife think I'm being a naysayer -- I wouldn't like it anyway, probably). I hope everyone here has found good help or finds it soon.

Hi, welcome to CB. Sounds like you have been through a lot. Lots of bipolars here. Hope you find support here.

Welcome to Crazyboards! Be sure to read the rules, and let us know if there is anything you don't understand.

olga

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      Starting this thread because boredom, idleness, lack of stimulation is often a key trigger of depression and bad habits. When I get bored, I feel an emptiness, uselessness and physical/mental lethargy, cue ruminations, then I sleep excessively. This isn't always fatigue: It's an automatic (and very negative) avoidance behavior.
      This link lists 150 ideas (from high effort to minimal effort - from "fun" to mundane) in order to build healthier habits. I need to stop waiting to "feel good" before taking any action. Any thoughts?
      https://www.developgoodhabits.com/what-to-do-bored/
      Today, I:
      Journaled, Cleaned my desktop, Backed up computer, unsubscribed to some junk email, Did some stretching, called a relative, dealt with an admin issue, read some blogs about depression, provided some words of support/appreciation for someone.
    • By kitties
      Hi, I am kitties.  I am a newbie here, but not to illness.  I have chronic pain 24/7 in my back and neck.
      Mentally....here are my diagnoses (got a second and third opinion....all objective and a consensus of the exact same diagnoses.)
      Bipolar 1 with psychosis, extreme, treatment resistant, rapid cycling.   Mixed features predominant.  Never had a remission to date...just a couple of weeks with my bipolar disorder.  “Normal” for a few weeks a couple of times per year.  No anxiety remission.
      OCD, GAD, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety disorder, PTSD...I think that is everything.   Oh, I am significantly affected by a very strong dose of agoraphobia stemming from my PTSD and Panic Disorder.
      I have a great psychiatrist and I e been in treatment with him a since 2006.  I had a great therapist that had a co-transference issue and I ultimately ended my therapy with him. I have tried four therapists since firing the aforementioned therapist - but I unfortunately have lost faith in the process.
      I am a night owl by nature and it has really ramped up since being declared disabled in 2009/SSDI/cannot work.  I struggle with having a “routine,” although I have read that one with bipolar disorder tends to be more stable with a routine.  I’m easily overstimulated so I like the quiet and darkness..
      I know I have an eating disorder (anorexia, restricting type), but I politely yet firmly said I have had “eating issues” but I have no desire to “go there.”  My psychiatrist respects that although I am subject to a monthly weigh-in and I self-manage it.  
      I am currently relapsing right now, unfortunately. But, I have had it for so many years that I know at what weight my body and mind take a turn for the worst.  And I have to rein it back in and stop losing (meaning eat more).  I’ll never seek treatment as the recovery model, IMO, is ridiculous.  Kudos to those that have been able to “recover.”
      I take a bunch of meds, mainly psych meds  
      I like to read, Enjoy spending time with my boyfriend.  Internet.  I like learning things, I am currently and reading up on world history (pre-USA).  I keep up with psychology and sociology.
      Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

• By sming
      Respectful greetings, fellow crazies.
      I've recently ramped-up on Wellbutrin: 150mg for 6 days and then 300mg for 12 days (18 days total). Overall it's slightly helping the multitude of mental illnesses I have (TRD, "Pure" OCD, other stuff).
      However. About 7 days after hitting 300mg Wellbutrin I started experiencing incredibly intense anxiety primarily (physically shaking, gut-churning, mind-racing, skin-crawling kind). I also started feeling erratic, intense irritability and even anger - (verbally) lashing out at my kids and other unpleasant out-of-character behaviour.
      I've seen anxiety from Wellbutrin reported 100's of times before but I couldn't find information on how to combat it. This is because normally people just stop taking it (which makes eminent sense) but that's not an option for me since I'm 23 years TRD (including resistance to ECT, dTMS and Ketamine) and this is one of the last combos left. In other words I'm beyond desperate to give it every chance of working that I humanly can.
      I'm now gonna blurt out my questions and suggestions and hope that some of you can identify or comment from your own experience:
      I have some Valium left over and taking that does take the edge off of the severe emotions. However taking benzo's long-term is generally undesirable, hence has anyone taken a non-benzo adjunct/augmenting med that actually helps tone down the insane anxiety? If so, what was it? how long did the intense anxiety last for those who experienced it? 2 weeks? a month? until you stopped the med? did anyone have success in simply reducing dose back to 150mg or even lower? Did you find 150mg sufficient to lift your mood? I'm on 300mg XL as of today (was on 2x150mg XL 'til now). Have folks had different experiences (anxiety-wise) with the IR or SR versions? E.g. would switching to 3xIR be an avenue worth chasing? any other relevant insights or experiences would also be most welcome. May the Gods of mental health be with you,
      Pete

• By Blahblah
      Bored and tired...Sometimes I want to stay up instead of going to bed. However, if I stay up late, I will just go on FB and scroll through my feed furiously past everyone's baby/family/xmas holiday/vacation photos/political rants (which I know will make me feel very depressed). Then once I scroll past through people's posts, I move on to speed reading random articles (often self-improvement/health articles) I make a mental note of self-help tips or whatever that I will just forget 2 minutes later. OR I will continue to Save a bunch of "read for later" articles that I never end up going back to.
      My point is, social media is just a mindless, never-ending, passive distraction to escape boredom. I get sucked in primarily in the evenings, and always end up feeling like I've wasted hours of time when I could be doing something more useful/interesting/creative - but then I have no inspiration or energy to do anything "useful" in the late evenings (other than be online or watching netflix). I really need a creative hobby that I will stick with...yet nothing too difficult or consuming. Some things I've tried: knitting (fail), adult coloring books (doesn't sustain interest), reading (can't engage in books these days, my mind just wanders), listening to music (too passive), journaling (makes me too self-absorbed), studying a language (feels like a chore/work), stretching/yoga (OK for 30 minutes but not more), meditation (makes me fall asleep)....
      Anyone have any ideas? What enjoyable thing do you often do in evenings after dinner (other than watching tv, social media, chores, etc.)??
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Which makes you feel more flat? Antipsychotics or lithium?