CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.single.html

Some of you might remember a little blog post I did a couple years back on typography. I only included a short blurb about only typing one space after a period as opposed to two, but then I ran across this article and felt it should be shared.

After all, CB's gained some new members since I posted that--and I'm sure some of them are guilty of this typographical sin. Anyway, it's here for your reading pleasure.

If you're going to tl;dr it, here's the point: Stop typing a second space after a period. It's wrong (unless you're using a monospaced font).

Thanks. I'm one of those 2-spacers, because that's what I learned in typing class, I have to think about it to just type one space.

This is really the first time I've ever heard of typing a second space after a period. I was taught just one.

I will continue to type two spaces.

I learned it in typing class, and so did many many other people, so whether it is wrong or not, I won't at this point get nailed for it and sometimes one needs all the help they can get.

I appreciate the drive to be correct, however, and would otherwise comply.

:brooding: *Shoots glares at the English teachers that counted off points for single spacing after periods in papers*

I used to be a single space user. I even had to go back and use the replace feature in word all the time. Then I got with the program, learned to type in typing class, and have used two spaces ever since. It's a habit. I suppose it's beneficial because it's not going to be counted off and will increase paper length.

I'm going to continue to be a double spacer, but for your benefit, this post is written with one. At this point, it's an automatic reflex and changing it could annoy higher-ups who don't know any better.

Stop typing a second space after a period. It's wrong (unless you're using a monospaced font).

Bite me. I can use as many spaces as I want between sentences. The vast majority of the time I'm using monospaced fonts, and for things like this, any respectable web browser (or anything else that displays HTML) should automatically condense two spaces after a period to one when parsing it for display (or any arbitrarily large number of spaces, for that matter; look at the content of my post). So there.

Yes, you can use as many as you want. That doesn't change the fact that, for non-monospaced typefaces in print publications, it's wrong.

But really, though, it doesn't matter. It's a cause of frustration for those in the publishing industry, but aside from that, others (myself included) have no reason to get worked up about this.

The whole point of me posting this was to confirm for myself the fact that those who do double space after periods are so certain that they're right. The article even mentions this.

And it's interesting that something as mundane as a space can cause people to become so defensive.

Bite me. I can use as many spaces as I want between sentences. The vast majority of the time I'm using monospaced fonts, and for things like this, any respectable web browser (or anything else that displays HTML) should automatically condense two spaces after a period to one when parsing it for display (or any arbitrarily large number of spaces, for that matter; look at the content of my post). So there.

I was wondering why it showed up differently in the email. Figures that I could see your formatting in the reply box here but the same thing doesn't work on the pate parrot in the signature thread.

I'm not at all certain that I'm right; I in fact am well aware that it's quite wrong when using proportional fonts. It's just that it's almost as annoying how typographers (and typographic/style pedants) get so worked up about people doing it wrong as the people doing it wrong get protesting that the wrong way is right. I do have to side with the people who actually do it the right way, though, even if just barely. I can't bring myself to stand up for people loudly proclaiming and defending their ignorance, and it's no secret that pedantry appeals to me. Heh.

I.Find.It.Hard.To.Care. (But then, I have more important things in my life to worry about that the number of spaces between words. I was also taught two spaces, so really..... it would be a hard thing for me to change, and I'm not going to bother.)

Sorry about that.

Anna