CrazyBoards.org

Looking for aura advice

Auras are making me insane!

I've had occasional (once a year) migraines with blinding headache, nausea, etc. since 1999. About a year and a half ago, I started having migraine auras (big c-shaped flashing zigzag) every six weeks, but *without* headache. During the rest of the year, they became increasingly frequent, at one point having two in a day and four a week. Once I started on Prozac last December (for MDD and GAD), the zigzags completely went away. It's been almost a year and no zigzags. However, I did notice last spring that sometimes I see a small circle or spot in the center of my vision (both eyes). It's black and white and squiggly (not zigzaggy, not flashing). It's most prominent when I look at a white computer screen or other bright white object (a lit wall, for example). If I am looking at a mixed or darker background, things just seem blurry. I've just had an eye exam and everything was fine. It tends not to stay for more than 15 or 20 minutes, BUT they keep increasing in frequency, and now they've gone from me noticing one every few weeks to me noticing several a day. The past few days I've had hours each day (cumulatively) with them. Has this happened to anyone else here? I am trying to get in to see a neurologist since it's getting so much worse in a hurry. Any words of wisdom (other than hell yeah, see a neurologist)?

Everything you've described are recognised migraine symptoms, as are purely visual migraines so:

yes, a need to get variant symptoms checked out but absolutely no reason they have to indicate anything worse than migraines (Bad ones of those being quite enough, but non-lethal, and with certain rare exceptions having no permanent effect.)

Causes: again. variable.

Stress is the big one, though occasionally it's when stress lifts a little that they show: the regular Friday night/Saturday morning migraine, or the "achievement" migraine.

Next, for females, associated with the monthly cycle.

After that come a range of food sensitivities (not strictly allergies) often to one or more of wine, alcohol, chocolate, but with many other possibilities.

Side affects of medication, especially if changing dose or type...

Perfectly correct advice which is perfectly useless, 99 times out of a hundred:

"I suggest you adopt a more relaxed lifestyle."

Chris, former optometrist.

edit for English.

Thanks, folks. I'm not particularly worried about having migraines; I'm freaking out because if what I'm seeing is a migraine aura, then I'm having several a day most days. And sometimes the distortion is bad enough that I can't work, and if the frequency continues to increase, it will significantly interfere with my well-being and my income (I'm paid by the hour, I do editing/writing). I also don't want to end up like my poor sister, so crippled by migraines that she couldn't keep a job.

You can get treated to prevent the auras, honest. They are just a different symptom of migraine: Migraine is not a headache, but a condition. The worst side effect is the headache, but you by no means have to have them to be a migraineur. A neurologist may genuinely be able to help.

Thanks, crtclms. I got in to see a neurologist this morning, and he was wonderful. He is pretty sure that what I'm experiencing is indeed migraines, but just a different type of aura than I was before. He noted that my migraine auras and my MI both went into overdrive at the same time, so he's sending me for an MRI just to make sure there's nothing going on in my head. (Well, you know what I mean.) He's putting me on two meds to start with, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived