CrazyBoards.org

Emotional reaction to physical illness?

Absolutely. A couple days' worth of cold symptoms doesn't usually screw me up, but prolonged illness, or worse yet, injury, has a definite impact on my mood. You know how there are often physical symptoms like headaches and stomachaches when you get depressed? I think the reverse happens when you get physically sick: it impacts your mood. How could it not? Your chemistry is all screwed up.

Are you taking meds for the bronchitis? I had bad bronchitis last spring, and I found that benzonatate capsules (200 mgs, 3x daily) were the only thing i could take that gave me relief and didn't interact with my other meds.

I hope you feel better soon!

I'm so glad you brought this up. I have had bronchitis with a infection in my chest for the past week and a half, and finally went to the doctor today because it has gotten worse. I have been at a pretty good point with my meds, but for the past couple days, it feels like they are not working. When I was young I had these issues when I was sick, that now I realize where a type of hallucination. Well, they have come back. Another thing is just not feeling right, almost like I am in a bad dream, but to a lesser extent. This seems to go along with a depression. It got so bad I woke up and was in tears because I felt so whacked out. I would have gone to psych emergency, but I wasn't suicidal, so I didn't know if they could do anything for me. And who wants to sit there for six hours to have them tell you to go home? I probably also should have contacted my doctor, but wanted to go to get antibiotics for the infection. It seems to come and go somewhat, so by the afternoon I was alright. I hope things get better as I heal.

Guest Vapourware

I'm another who gets emotionally upset when I'm physically sick. In a way, it's understandable - being sick is not a pleasant experience, for anyone.

yes. absolutely. things feel more overwhelming. i have little patience.

my brain has decided that it doesn't even need physical injury to do this. if i'm too cold, i start shivering (like anyone else would), and my brain says "oh! shaking! that means it's anxiety!". then it actually turns into a whopping amount of anxiety.

ahalo, i hope your bronchitis is better soon. that sounds awful.

the best and only place for my cry baby ass is in bed my wife cant stand I start imagining like if lung conjestion I have some sort of cancer if its intestinal my liver or kidney are done for toward my bp dx I am way past all that I've regressed to when I was 10 years old.

Thanks for the responses. I also have pleurisy sp. I was put on nothing for the bronchitis but i found an old rx. I have to check the med interaction sites i didnt even think to do that. Im just not thinking straight. I cry on a dime. Cant wait til it passes.

My p-doc in Pittsburgh said the flu could actually trigger depressive episodes, and gave me a Tamiflu (?) supply. Also, after I almost died from a kidney infection, I learned it takes a really long time to fully recover from a systemic infection (like 6-9 months), and I got very, very depressed, which my dad says is not unusual.

Pleurisy sucks balls. My mother broke a rib from coughing during an "episode" (or whatever they are called).

Guest Recluse

I definitely get irritable and weepy when I'm sick, moreso when I have to be cared for by someone else than when I can go it alone. It's like being really damned sad and infuriated at the same time. My pDoc has advised me to keep some buspar around for moments like that.

I get emotionally anxious and upset when I get migraines. It's just so hard to get *another* one *again.* I just get all worked up inside because I know the migraine is going to last a long time and it's going to hurt. I ususually don't feel better emotionally until a couple of days after the migraine is over.

Hells, yes.

and it's bad, because I have a LOT of health problems. Post-stroke disability, a genetic condition destroying my joints, all kinds of other shit. I've had more than a dozen surgeries in the past couple years and I feel like i just can't catch a break and it's definitely making it a lot harder to face this bipolar crap.

i hate it all. i've never been healthy, not even as a kid, and it just gets so fucking old.

Yes, I definitely start speeding downhill when I'm sick, to the point that I call in sick to work when many other people with the same amount of physical symptoms (cold or stomach virus or flu, etc.) would suck it up and go in. I have found that when I'm physically ill I need to be hypervigilant with my moods, and reduce as much stress as possible. I'm lucky in my job that I can take the occasional sick day and not get fired, which I realize is often not the case.

I also find that waiting for test results for things that I may have (cancer, anyone?) but that don't produce any overt symptoms, is also really tough to deal with from a mood perspective.

I think the thing about being sick that works on my mood is the amount of time I spend in bed, or in darkened rooms doing nothing, both of which are good descriptions of my actions during depression. Maybe there's some alarm going off in my head to remind me that if I'm in bed all day, then things are really headed south.

It would be interesting to know (and I feel to lazy to look it up) how much cortisol levels rise when you're physically ill, since cortisol levels are usually elevated during depression. Maybe that's part of the connection?

Archived