CrazyBoards.org

I make stupid choices and decisions. At least I realize that AFTER I do it and the guilt sets in. But the initial desire to do something crazy, something taboo, something spontaneous is such an adrenaline rush for me. I know it's probably part of my BPD but I'm wondering why I find it so appealing to do dumb shit. I suppose it's just the feeling I get from thinking about doing it that thrills me--anticipation. Is it a desire to feel something? Because it's so extreme, is it just one time in life where I get SOME sort of emotional stimulation and that's why I like it? Just thinking out loud...

Because it's so extreme, is it just one time in life where I get SOME sort of emotional stimulation and that's why I like it?

That's why I do it. It gets worse when I'm actively depressed.

I make stupid choices and decisions. At least I realize that AFTER I do it and the guilt sets in. But the initial desire to do something crazy, something taboo, something spontaneous is such an adrenaline rush for me. I know it's probably part of my BPD but I'm wondering why I find it so appealing to do dumb shit. I suppose it's just the feeling I get from thinking about doing it that thrills me--anticipation. Is it a desire to feel something? Because it's so extreme, is it just one time in life where I get SOME sort of emotional stimulation and that's why I like it? Just thinking out loud...

That. That's exactly how I feel. Why I sometimes drive stupidly or drink too much, or take drugs or self harm or... etc. etc. etc. And why I've stopped all of that (except the self harm) because I know it's bad for me. But now I just don't feel anything, or I just feel depressed...

N

The numbness. I hate being numb. I wonder, too, if the Paxil I have been on for 20 years almost is WHY I feel numb.

Funny, hallowedink, I'm a writer too. I think there are a lot of BPD writers throughout time. I have the BPD, depression, panic, anxiety, OCD, insomnia. I have dermatillomania mostly. Eating was compulsive and bulimic until I had gastric bypass, which is like surgically-induced bulimia. I'm on Wellbutrin. Tried the Lamictal (blurry vision) and the Seroquel (um, I need to wake up sometime in the next five days) I've been through the wringer on all of the meds, too. I'm pretty much at my wit's end with psych meds, therapy, etc. There has to be some other answer.

The numbness. I hate being numb. I wonder, too, if the Paxil I have been on for 20 years almost is WHY I feel numb.

Funny, hallowedink, I'm a writer too. I think there are a lot of BPD writers throughout time. I have the BPD, depression, panic, anxiety, OCD, insomnia. I have dermatillomania mostly. Eating was compulsive and bulimic until I had gastric bypass, which is like surgically-induced bulimia. I'm on Wellbutrin. Tried the Lamictal (blurry vision) and the Seroquel (um, I need to wake up sometime in the next five days) I've been through the wringer on all of the meds, too. I'm pretty much at my wit's end with psych meds, therapy, etc. There has to be some other answer.

Funny, we do some to have quite similar issues... I think in general there are a lot of writers/artists with MI. I've been writing my whole life, and it's a good escape sometimes.

I don't know what therapy you've tried... obviously DBT is really meant to help with BPD, but if you're in a rubbish-therapy area like me then you may not have access to it...

In terms of numbness, if you're having trouble with that then could you consider trying something other than paxil? Of course, don't mess with it if it's working, but perhaps a slightly lower dose could keep you stable but make your feel less numb?

I've only just started Lamictal today, so I don't know yet. I got really lucky that the first AAP I tried worked, but I hate anti-depressants because all of them have some sort of horrible effect that means I just get more and more depressed. So far, the Wellbutrin hasn't done anything at all, even though I've been on it for a month, so I guess that'll go at some point, and then I'll probably go on effexor or something. No idea.

I have dermatophagia a bit, many more issues with trichotillomania, which kind of doubles as self-harm for me sometimes. Aaand, yeah, EDNOS for me... mostly anorexic tendencies.

Anyway, I hope you find some relief soon. Do persevere with therapy, even if it doesn't seem to be doing much. It's better to be in therapy than not in therapy, I guess.

Good luck.

N

I was just asking on another thread if I should consider trying to get off the Paxil. I've been on it for, well, almost 20 years I guess off and on...always on an SSRI, and I wonder if I'm emotionally numb because the meds are making me this way, too. When I tried to show emotion or feel my feelings before, they'd just throw pills at me. But that's really the only way out of depression and BPD in the first place is to let yourself FEEL and work through the pain.

I'm nervous about DBT, just because I'm pretty socially inept, I think. Social anxiety, for sure, in groups. I had a therapist who did EMDR, which is like hypnosis, but that did nothing but make me feel more crazy for following somebody's hands back and forth across the room.

I hope we find an answer. Honestly, I think writing IS the answer! Lamictal gave me blurry vision. I wish it hadn't because I know it's a miracle drug for so many. :( Lithium didn't help. Depakote made my hair fall out. Just nuts. I think Zyprexa may have helped me the most at a really low dose, so maybe going back to that may be an answer, I guess we'll see.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Poem
      Hello everyone,
      So it has been a while since I have posted on the forum, but I wanted to hear from others on this topic. What does identity instability look like for people with borderline personality disorder? I want to get feedback from people who actually deal with this problem. The reason is that I believe I deal with this problem (feeling like I don't know who I am, confusion about gender/sexuality, not knowing what I truly believe in, feeling like I lose myself in others, changing goals/career ideas, etc.) This is a longstanding issue.
      I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 disorder initially, and this was changed to Schizoaffective disorder: bipolar type. My original psychiatrist denied the possibility of BPD, but I feel like that is a more accurate dx than the other two. (In all honesty, I heard from other medical staff later on that this PDoc basically dx'd everyone as bipolar!) Also, I was diagnosed only after a reaction to a medication (which was possible due to the newly published DSM V),  and I feel that the majority of "psychotic" symptoms that I experienced (that led to the dx change) were caused by the many other med cocktails I was given over the years. I'm very sensitive to medications, and have tried many to no success.
      I've read about real life experiences from people with all these disorders, and none of them have spoken so truly to me as borderline has. I started crying the other day because it made so much damn sense. I am not looking for a diagnoses from anyone. I just want to hear from others...I am going through a very bad stretch, and I just want to feel like I am not alone.
      I want to avoid posts indicating that everyone goes through identity crisis. I know that. But this is something that has been with me for a looong time. So, to anyone who is willing to share a bit of their story with me: Thank you in advance. I really need to know I am not alone in this right now.
      Poem

• By Blahblah
      This seems most indicative of BPD, but pdocs tell me I don't meet major criteria for it. I have no previous symptoms of: SI, suicide attempts, impulsive behavior, no addictions or eating disorders, no delusions, black/wt thinking, no manias) I have held longer-term (2-5 year) romantic relationships.
      Pdocs have thrown every med at me for 2 decades. Nothing is really making a lot of improvement. I have no adequate diagnosis, because I don't (completely) meet the formal criteria for any one disorder, but traits from many. I've been previous diagnosed with: Major Depression with dysthymia (with/without psychotic features) BP2, PTSD, GAD, BPD, ADD) I surely can't have all these disorders?!

Rapid-cycling emotions (erratic moods can shift every 1-3 hours, not usually just up & down)
      Chronic (moderate) depression, frequent dysphoria, some anxious distress
      Hypersensitivity to many things (including rejection)
      Chronic Emptiness
      Anhedonia (lack of motivation, pleasure in anything, not even sex)
      Perfectionism (includes obsessiveness)
      Paranoia (but not delusional, with insight)
      Hypersomnia, chronic fatigue
      Distractible
      Poor memory
      Very low stress tolerance (has triggered dissociation)

• By Angerr
      Had a tiny fight with my psychiatrist, he seems to be dobuting my diagnosis. In the hospital they tried to say i was bpd with bipolar, but my psychologist says i cant be bpd and even my psychiatrist used to think im not. I dont have any bpd traits other than emotional inestability. Anyways im mad bc people dobut my psychotic symptoms he thinks is just something from my imagination or something "typical" from me. Im mad bc the new medication is not working and now i have panic attacks i didnt had before. The  hospital kinda helped kinda made things worse. I feel like my doctor has left me behind, he doesnt care anymore, if he had answered or seen me  15days before when i asked, before i had my big crisis i wouldnt had ended in hospital. Im scheduling an appointment with a new doctor. But i feel so lost, so sad, like no one can help me, not even doctors. Its not fair. This illness is destroying my life. Has anyone ever had this kind of problems with doctors? Have you had a moment where medication made things worse? 
    • By Dewey
      I woke up this morning, feeling panic overwhelming me over a negative response from my neighbor.  The emotion I am experiencing is deep distress and I can feel it internally crushing me.  I am not coping at all well with this. 
      I find myself drawn to her because we share a common trauma background.  Sometimes she comes to my apartment just to talk about all this and I feel soo connected to her.  I am beginning to come to the conclusion that she has some borderline traits in her - it's the push away and suddenly pull back. She acts like she hates me and suddenly she loves me and tells me so.  When she pushes away, it's an awful experience and leaves me an emotional wreck.  Then she will come back and saturate me with her needs to talk about soo many things where I live, her emotional instability issues, etc.  I sit and listen and we talk and I feel better after she leaves and we are finally getting along, only to be assaulted again verbally from her and weeks go by and she ignores me. 
      Another odd thing about her.  With this intimate friendship I have with her (Intimate meaning sharing of like experiences),  she will call on my cell or text me but when she is out and about with her friends (she only goes out in public with her friends), she ignores me and so do they. 
      So, this morning I am experiencing her pushing me away violently last night. 
      I am drawn to this behavior from her, as it feeds into my cycle of abuse history.  I used to go back to my mother just to be abused.  I would call her and she would act delighted to hear from me and tell me how much she loves me, only moments later to go for the jugular.  I would walk away from that telephone conversation feeling completely ruined.  This is what is occurring with my neighbor, I am in the dance of abuse with her and I don't know how to get out of it.  Even just recognizing what is really going on, I can't seem to extricate myself from her.
      I block her telephone calls and texting one minute and then open it back up.  Last night I shut off my phone so that I would not be tempted to read any lingering texts from her and react to it.  This morning when I turned on my phone, she did not respond to my last text to her and I was disappointed and fearful what she must be saying behind my back to her 4 close friends. 
      I live in fear of her and in fear of myself when she abuses me.  It takes alot of work to pick myself back up each time. 
    • By The one lurking behind you
      Hey there!
      Long time no post and I wanted to pop in and get chatting about something that's recently cropped up for me and got me thinking about things. So I'll cut to the chase. I've recently been enrolled in some group therapy after a few years of no meds/therapy/contact with mental health services. After the group I had a chat with the therapist running it and explained about the intense mood changes I'd been having etc. Anyway, she put me in touch with someone who gave me a phone assessment and the questions asked seemed to be the checklist for Borderline. She then said, "ah yes it sounds like Emotional Intensity". This is something I've never heard before in this context. I've heard of emotions being intense or emotional intensity as a symptom but she seemed to use it as a diagnostic term. 
      I did some googling and discovered that Boderline is starting to be "rebranded" as EmOtional Intensity (here's one of the articles I found http://www.awp.nhs.uk/news-publications/trust-news/2016/march/raising-awareness-of-emotional-intensity-disorder/ )
      I wondered, have you ever heard of this Emotional Intensity term being used and what are your thoughts on it?
      -TOLBY