Is Lithium Causing My Weight Gain?

Heh, there. I've looked for this subject via the search function and couldn't find it so please forgive me if I'm repeating a topic.

My cocktail is listed below. I've just always assumed it was the Lithium causing the weight gain but thought I'd better check with you all and see if someone sees something else that could be the culprit.

I have gained about thirty pounds. It didn't really start until about a year on the Lithium. It's leveled out but I sure do want to get back to my old weight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

- Kiki

Thanks A.M. I used to nibble but now I hardly eat Anything and the weight just stays. Yes, have been getting the thyroid checked and I take Cytomel for it. Perhaps Synthroid is better, though...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not pushing Synthroid at all.   I thought the Cytomel was for diabetes, got it confused with metaformin or something. 

Glad you have the thryoid stuff checked.  I'm still kinda amazed at how much difference it makes for me in energy level. And the pills don't have any side effects or immediate effects either.

Lithium did induce hypothtroidism for me. I took Levoxyl for a while because my GP gave me several months supply. For the last year I have been taking 50mcg of synthroid daily.

Having the condtion treated definetly restored my energy levels, made my cold intolerance better, and help me to lose some weight that I had gained very quickly due to a Lithium and Zyprexa combo. Basically, the synthroid jump started my thyroid again so my metabolism speed back up.

Thyroid can play a factor in mood symptoms, usually depression when one is hypothyroid. Women can be at a greater risk to develop thyroid problems if taking Lithium.

Erika

Thank you so much for all the info. I take a very low dose of Cytomel, mainly because it caused excessive sweating. I'll know soon if the dose is too low.

Funny - I have no fear of depression anymore, though that's what I started out with. Now mania is the potential culprit... I wonder why it can change like that.

Archived