OTC sleep meds

I'm under a ridiculous amount of stress. My mother was seriously ill, my father is injured and I'm temporarily taking full responsibility for a high needs child. Oh, I also have uni exams (that can possibly be delayed, after I wade through paperwork and many phonecalls) and an important application (that CANNOT be delayed).

I'm coping. but I CANNOT FUCKING SLEEP more than three/four hours a night. For example, so far tonight I have taken:

175mg Amitryptaline

100 mg Seroquel XR

4 mg melatonin

valerian

60 mg of codeine

10 mg of phenergan

I'm still completely wide awake, and this week even when I fall asleep I wake up at like 4am and can't get back to sleep. I haven't had early morning waking since three years ago when I was really depressed and not on any antidepressants. My pdoc won't prescribe anything without seeing me and there's no way in hell I have a spare 3 hours to do that. I'm getting desperate .

help?

Do you have any Seroquel IR that you are allowed to take? It will give you more of a kick than the XR, though if you need to be conscious tomorrow it might not be your best friend there.

It sucks, but at that level of insomnia, it seems like OTC stuff probably won't do it.

I agree with tryp - there's not really anything that you can get OTC that will cut it. Do you not have any PRN meds like valium or something which might help you relax? Could you see your regular doctor for a script? Tell him/her that it's just for a short time to tide you over until your next appt with your pdoc.

N

Advil PM puts me right out. It is the diphenhydramine. Same stuff in Tylenol PM and benedryl. It does have an after effect of grogginess. I don't use it anymore now that I have a magic sleeping pill but it used to be what I would take when stressed and absolutely needing sleep that never came.

I actually had more luck with the Sleep Aid (it's actually called that- found it at Big Lots for $1 for 24 pills) than from prescription meds. It has 25 mgs diphenhydramine per pill without any added pain relievers. I take it with my traz and vistaril and actually sleep most nights now. Ask your pdoc or pharmacist about any potential interactions before you take it though!

• 2 weeks later...

There is this amazing supplement called SOMATMAX that my (regular) Dr recommended. I was addicted to taking xanax every night for Years! So she was trying to get me off the xanax.

This product is amazing! It's actually a supplement that is supposed to release your natural HGH while you sleep which "they claim" helps burn fat, improve sex drive, improve mood ect. BUT the main reason people take it is to sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed. It's a powder that you drink before bed. It tastes ok... fruit punch flavor. :) It's hard to find in stores so I just buy it online. Google it and read the reviews. I know other people too who take it and swear by it.

My regular Dr is kinda a natrual path. She doesn't believe in being overly medicated so I know this stuff is safe. She also recommends Liquid Melatonin that you put under your tongue. That stuff works great too but leaves me groggy in the am.

Archived