Which SSRI Do You Think Has The Least Sexual Side Effects?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering which SSRI has had the least sexual side effects for you? I'm only interested in SSRIs because my significant other can not other classes of meds.

Thanks!! :)

Guest Recluse

It really just depends on your body chemistry, so no matter what anyone says, your own experience is absolutely going to be different.

For me, celexa had very few side effects, but having said that, loads of people will say the opposite. It just depends.

For what this is worth Celexa gave me anorgasmia (Problems reaching orgasm) It didn't seem to affect my drive but the combo was pretty frustrating. I've been on Wellbruten for a while but as the Pdoc told me it does nothing for anxiety so we are trying a combo with the Celexa. The idea being Wellbruten (maybe) solves the sexual side effects.

All of the SSRI's can (but not necessarily) lead to sexual dysfunction. I have tried about every SSRI known to man. The only SSRI's that did not cause this was Lexapro ,Celexa and Zoloft. IMO, Paxil has the worst sexual side effects of any ssri I have tried.

If your looking for an antidepressant with low a risk of sexual side effects I would try a different class than the ssri's.

The SNRI Cymbalta had zero sexual side effects with me. Also, Remeron actually increased my sex drive while on it :) . Cant go wrong with Wellbutrin either.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the SSRI's can (but not necessarily) lead to sexual dysfunction. I have tried about every SSRI known to man. The only SSRI's that did not cause this was Lexapro ,Celexa and Zoloft. IMO, Paxil has the worst sexual side effects of any ssri I have tried.

If your looking for an antidepressant with low a risk of sexual side effects I would try a different class than the ssri's.

The SNRI Cymbalta had zero sexual side effects with me. Also, Remeron actually increased my sex drive while on it :) . Cant go wrong with Wellbutrin either.

Thats encouraging news. Remeron (Hope its generic) was suggested but since I had used Celexa and it worked (Other then the sexual side effects) it was a first choice to do with combination therapy (More then one pill) So far this experiment doesn't seem to be working. Not "quite" anorgasmia but its a major chore to climax and I'm pretty sure my interest in getting intimate is low this time.

my meds cause an incredible drop in libido -- I just can't seem to get interested. My wife thinks its because of something she did, but I try to explain to her about the drop in libido. If she asks me outright if I want to "mess around", I always say yes. Everything works well except I am anorgasmic.

my meds cause an incredible drop in libido -- I just can't seem to get interested. My wife thinks its because of something she did, but I try to explain to her about the drop in libido. If she asks me outright if I want to "mess around", I always say yes. Everything works well except I am anorgasmic.

I know there are people who are into orgasm denial and what not but doesn't this just drive you insane when your unable to climax? I nearly pulled my own head off in frustration.

Guest Vapourware

For me, Zoloft didn't cause sexual side effects, but as others have mentioned, it's specific to each individual.

RE: inability to orgasm...OMG that was a nightmare when I experienced it. I had it while on Pristiq (SNRI so a bit different to SSRIs) and it was unbearable for me.

Zoloft has made my libido drop a little bit, but I was almost hypersexual so now it's a bit closer to high-middle of the road. It hasn't affected my being able to reach orgasm, but it has made them a tad less satisfying, if that makes sense. My boyfriend is very patient, so all in all, a side effect I can happily deal with.

the first time i was on effexor at 225mg i became insatiable. this led to some sleeping with strangers just after the breakup of a 9 yr relationship. i think my grief had a lot to do with my acting out, and i made some bad choices, luckily none of which led to bad consequences. i was also taking klon at the time.

i went a year without any meds then went back on effexor with added gabapentin. i don't get manic like i did before, and my libido is shot.

years before, paxil also took away any sexual drive.

it really sucks.

Lots of increased stress in the relationship but we are trying to do the la la la everything is cool so I'm making the effort as often as I can. But its odd without the big O. Hopefully all of this gets better.

I have this vague memory that Wellbutrin does not have the same sexual side effects as other AD's. I think that for some people it can actually increase sexual desire. Lexapro has definitely caused some type of anorgasmia for me but the wellbutrin seems to head that off at the pass. It is hard for me to know exactly how the meds have affected my sex life since it has been decreasing as my age is increasing.

According to my pdoc everyone's chemistry is so completely different when combined with the meds. She has seen people lose weight on wellbutrin and other clients gain weight on the same med. In other words, one person's side effect could be another persons total reverse side effect.

Celexa was pretty bad for me on that front - total anorgasmia for the first month or so and then it was just very, very difficult. Zoloft was slightly better - it was just harder to get off, but never impossible.

It's different for everyone - I think that there is some idea that Zoloft is one of the less-bad ones, but it really is so individual. Also even if there are bad effects at the beginning, if you can stick it out for a few months, they do tend to fade at least a bit, and I was so depressed that the tradeoff was worth it for me. As long as I could still orgasm EVENTUALLY I was okay with it.

Glad to be off SSRIs for good though. NOT my favourite class of drugs.

Every AD I've ever been on has virtually shut off my libido. After like, half an hour on Zoloft I can get off but it simply doesn't feel the same as it used to ): Oh well, I really can't complain since I've had so few side effects with it, but I'd like to have a libido now that I'm single again :S

Luvox is the only SSRI that has caused sexual side effects for me (and I've been on almost all of them). Unfortunately, it's also the only one that has worked. But everyone is different, both in what works and whether s/he is willing to accept sexual side effects.

Archived