Clozapine and sedation

Guest Vapourware

I've just started on clozapine [i started on the 30th November] and am currently on a very low dose as my doctor believes I'm "sensitive" to medication. So, his plan is to slowly titrate me. Currently, I'm on 12.5mg.

The benefit of clozapine for me has been that it puts me to sleep within a few hours, so it has helped fix up my sleep schedule. However, I'm also starting to find that it might be sedating me too much. These past few days, I've been sleeping 11-12 hours because I'm finding it difficult to get up.

I'm wondering if others have experienced this side effect, and did it get better at higher doses?

VW,u do bloodtest everyweek??aint it painful??there is currently a complete blood cell counter which is small and portable and only need a single drop of blood(finger pricking) to count ur white blood cell,so i thought that would be good for clozapine patient instead of a venous blood draw,which is so painful....

and how is clozapine for ur schizo symptoms??is it of anygood??ur on around 2nd week already...

Guest Vapourware

With all due respect, this is my topic and I'm asking about clozapine and sedation. It's not for you to hijack with questions about clozapine. I suggest you start a new topic for yourself.

Briefly: no, I don't find blood draws painful and I can't say how useful clozapine is because I was asymptomatic when I started.

Yeah clozapine will cause sedation at first. I suspect lower doses are more sedative than higher doses, like with other AAPs. Don't know that for sure though. It helps to get in a routine of taking the med before bed (or even an hour or 2 before bed). That way you will feel drowsy at the right time of day and sleep through the worst part of the sedation.

I started on 12.5 (I think everyone does) but was ramped up to 200mg quite quickly and then 300mg. I suspect my therapeutic dose is 300-400mg. My p-doc has some patients on as much as 1000mg, but anyway...

The sedation does get better. It helps if you go to bed earlier in the evening , rather than sleeping all day - for me at least. I try to go to bed between 10pm & 12am, but even then I am not getting up in the morning until 9-10am. So I am sleeping A lot still. FYI the sedation of olanzapine was far worse than cloz for me. When I was on 40mg Olanzapine I was a bloated zombie. And not the kind of zombie that people on ssris or even seroquel talk bout - way worse (even worse than when I was on 1500mg of serqouel).

So yeah, you will need to ride it out for a while. I have seen several different p-docs and when I asked them what the therapeutic dose is, they have all said "how long is a piece of string". So you are going to need to closely monitor yourself. At the end of the initial18 week monitoring period, you should have a fair idea of what dose works for you.

Then of course, I have just started remeron (avanza) as well, which also contributes to drowsiness at first, but them becomes stimulating, from what I have read. So I am somewhere between drowsy and stimulated, depending on the time of the day. Fun stuff...

I got this with clozapine. I was extremely sedated at 25 mg. I would go to sleep around 10pm, wake up at 9, eat breakfast, then sleep again!

I think I was sleeping around 14-16 hours a day. And that does not help because I have a job.

That's the main reason I stopped clozapine, and I have switched since to amisulpride (Solian).

Guest Vapourware

Thanks both. I'm hoping that the sedation will be better over time. A major issue I've had with several APs has been sedation, so part of me is thinking, not this again...

I have been taking it between 9pm - 11pm, but maybe I'll try taking it earlier.

I don't remember how my sedation was when I originally starting it, but I take my entire dose at bedtime to minimize daytime sedation.

I take the Clozaril & go to bed at 10pm and there are times when I can sleep till 8 - 10am the next morning.

I notice that even if there is some sedation, I'm still able to function during the day.

I do hope that your sedation improves as you continue taking the Clozaril.

~ Andy.

Guest Vapourware

Thanks. Yes, at the moment I can function once I'm up and about, but it's just the initially waking that is problematic.

I'm thinking, at the moment, that eventually I will need to titrate from 12.5mg, so hopefully the sedation won't increase for me.

Also, I have tried Solian, but found it was too sedating for me. I tried 400mg, 200mg, and 100mg, all to no avail.

Archived