CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
squirmy

is choking on your food a symptom of anxiety

especially when me and my wife go out to eat there will be no warning sign except I cant swollow my food I cut it up as small a piece that i can I eat slow as possible but still it happens.. I really dont think anyone is watching me eat or even my wife isnt watching me eat is there anyone out there whom has heards of this,,,,,,thanks for reading

I noticed the same effect when I was titrating up on my AD, difficulty swallowing food. I also had neck pain and sore throat - not scratchy sore but like inflamed muscle sore. It was strange.

yes. when i'm highly anxious, i will choke on food when i'm forcing myself to eat (out of necessity). it feels like it just won't go down no matter how many times i try swallowing. i get scared and take a drink of water to make sure i still have an esophageal reflex. even that takes a few tries.

I remember my aunt telling about this years ago when she was severely anxious. Sometimes emotional distress, such as anxiety, can lead to difficulty swallowing or the fear of choking. It may leave you feeling like you are choking, or feeling like there's a lump, or something stuck in the throat, which is exactly the way she felt

Thanks just as I thought they really do add up I just wonder now when I'll stop getting this feeling ,,,,thanks for the input

When I eat chips, I always am convinced it goes down the wrong way and cough violently to try to get any little bits out of my wind pipe, which for the most part aren't there but sometimes are. even if they are they are insignificant. definately anxiety in that case

Eating peanutbutter sandwiches too I find that i have difficulty swallowing unless i have water near by. That could be dry mouth from any number of medications i've been on before.

I think its anxiety because your feeling very anxious. Its happened to me before, when i have been out with my partner for a meal.

just want to clarify here - is this happening ALL the time? And maybe just get worse when you are anxious? Because if this is happening all the time, you may want to get checked out by your general doc as it could be a sypmtom of a physical medical issue...

edit to say sorry the text is so small in my response... I can't seem to fix it.

Edited by That Girl

naw just somtimes,,especially when me and my wife go out to eat the place doesnt have to be packed and it doesnt have to be a fancy resturaunt

yeah - likely due to anxiety then... Mine makes me gag all the time - it's way, WAY worse in the morning for me - I liken it to morning sickness, although I've never had that:)

Your tagline is a snipet from one of my all time favorite songs:)