CrazyBoards.org

How many bipolar people actually exercize? I mean like P90X Zumba kick your ass sweat your b***s off

exercize!

And how do you stay motivated to do so???

Except for a little walking (four years ago -- one mile a day), I haven't done any real excersize in 6 years. My excuse is that we still don't have the garage clean enough since we moved into our house 3 years ago.

If chasing around 7 kids all day long is considered exercise, then yeah, I exercise, every day for many hours heh

I'm exercising less than I'd like right now because it's too damn cold and snowy to bicycle, but I walk the dogs a mile every day, and when I can I put in a few miles on the treadmill. Sometimes I go to the Y and swim, but I just started a new job and my schedule hasn't settled into place yet...but yeah, I exercise, hard. It makes a big difference.

4-5 days a week at the gym. Yea, I feel better. I lost 5lbs over the course of a YEAR. Is it a cure all? Absolutely not. I do believe there is benefit.

I've always done some kind of exercise on a daily basis for the past 30 years now. However, definitely not as hard core as I used to.....I don't do spinning anymore (gets my anxiety level up) and don't lift as heavy weights as I used to....my style of exercise has gone more towards pilates, yoga, walking, more gentle stuff.

LOL, strangely enough, I did a serious P90X rotation when it first came out that lasted about 3 months. Good program, but you definitely have to be up to the challenge!

for the last 6months or so i had been doing about 3hours average a week salsa dancing. its pretty physically demanding.. but because i hav a physical illness too its hard to actually do too much exercise because it will trigger a flare up.. i recently joined a gym so hopefully will increase my exercise to more than 4hours a week of aerobic classes, cross trainer machine exercise and some minor weights.. i keep motivated to salsa because i love latin music and dance, and you make heaps of friends from it too... and the gym will motivate me because its got the most beautiful spa and sauna area which makes going to the gym a wonderful experience...

for the last 6months or so i had been doing about 3hours average a week salsa dancing. its pretty physically demanding.. but because i hav a physical illness too its hard to actually do too much exercise because it will trigger a flare up.. i recently joined a gym so hopefully will increase my exercise to more than 4hours a week of aerobic classes, cross trainer machine exercise and some minor weights.. i keep motivated to salsa because i love latin music and dance, and you make heaps of friends from it too... and the gym will motivate me because its got the most beautiful spa and sauna area which makes going to the gym a wonderful experience...

I LOVE salsa dancing too! Im going to see where I can sign up around here

I used to be a competitive swimmer (yes, despite my epilepsy). Ran until I got injured. Currently walk very long distances very fast (recently did a charity 30k / 18.6 miles). Starting to ride a bike. Can't afford a gym membership so do bodyweight resistance stuff. Interested in triathlon - after 20 years of seizure h*ll, got enough control to actually consider it.

When I'm mildly-moderately depressed, exercise helps. When I do it, that is - tend to lose motivation to exercise exactly when I need it most.

Was going to the gym 4X a week, went through a bad break up & stopped. Subsequently got quite depressed/exhausted(coulda been the holidays too), went to Dr. turned out I was extremely deficient in vitamin D. Now up to 2000 mg a day & feeling much better, will return tomorrow. So it's been a month without exercise, actually looking forward to the rowing machine! (!?)

Before my first known manic episode, I used to lift heavy 3 days per week and walk 2 miles on alternate days. Sunday I recovered. Now I've gone 8 years without exercize and for the past year I haven't even thrown in the Highland Games. I have to get started again. I used to drive all over the state following the Heavy Athletics competition at various Scottish Festivals and doing well.

I make sure I walk everyday, at least a little. But usually they're long and meandering. I always feel loads better after.

Before my last bout of depression, I went to the gym 4 times a week and ran daily. I know eventually I'll get back to there, but I'm gonna be lazy for a while.

Edited by firelight

I'm not really exercising right now. I like in-home exercising, like Walk Away the Pounds (Walk At Home). I bought an AM/PM yoga for beginners DVD off Amazon and then I found a neat pilates for beginners DVD at Walmart for super cheap and I'm working up the courage and motivation to try them. I make exercise plans ALL the time and never follow through. I even have a gym membership on my campus. Maybe I'll revamp my plans today and figure some goals.

My last post in here really wasn't all that serious (I only chase 6 kids around all day, the oldest is 16, so not much chasing there heh). Anyway, I'm considering buying the Zumba fitness DVD's when we get our income tax. We have lots and lots of classes around here, but my anxiety would just get in the way of me actually going. Signing up would be pointless. I think doing it here at home with my daughters acting goofy would benefit me more.

Okay, may or may not be bipolar, etc. etc. Anyway.

When I was exercising more, and what I hope to do again, was that I needed something fun I could get hooked on. For some people it's fun DVDs or programs, for some it's Wii Fit or something similar...

For me it was hoola hoops, yep. You can get big ones for adults that are heavier than the ones you find at Toys R Us, and easier to use. Some people just exercise with it on their waist, and while I practiced with that for three months or so I've learned lots of other tricks and stunts with it in three years or so. It's so addicting, literally, once I get into it because of the challenge of working with it, and I've expanded onto other object-spinning-dancing things like staff spinning or poi. Though I think the hoop is still be best exercise. :3 I hope to move into teaching & performing one day, if I can get my butt back into the habit.

If any one ever wants me to ramble on endlessly & provide links and such about hoola hooping and how wonderful & empowering it can be to learn, feel free to PM me. Seriously I'm like a hoop dancing preacher.

in 2010 I exercized regularly, lost 30 pounds, and was consequently able to reduce medication.

Plus I was more cheerful, self confident, and slept better.

Then a series of health challenges prevented exercize in 2011 and I gained back the weight,

and take more meds for anxiety.

Obviously I want to return to exercize. I think it is an awesome adjunct for bipolar treatment.

exercise is my savior now. weaning of meds. yoga 4 x a week, cardio strength agility 2 x but now with the next taper I have to move it up to 5x at leat. AND i have to get out of bed and before I can even think about it be in my car and off to the gym.