CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
sophiaw

Saphris Questions About Side Effects and Your Experiences

Hi all,

For two nights now I have started taking Saphris 20mg before bedtime. I thought most medications take time to start working but the first day after waking up I started to notice some differences. One of course was sleeping for 12 hours, but I started to feel much less anxiety than usual. (I take Saphris for bipolar, OCD, PTSD, GAD.) Now it is the second day and I awoke after only 6.5 hours of sleep. The day has been off to a good start. I can't believe how clearheaded I feel. It is like someone turned on a light in my head and a lot of fog is gone. My depression levels seem to be lower and I feel good, actually. I feel calmer, too. Can these things really start happening so quickly or is this placebo effect?

Now that I've gotten that question out of the way I have some pertaining to side effects. I am curious to find out what others have experienced on this drug. (I am also on Lamictal, Effexor, Buspar and Ambien.) I am especially worried about getting fat or losing my sex drive (which used to be enormous). At the moment it feels like my sex drive has taken a serious plummet. Will it come back over time? I have heard that some side effects disappear eventually. My sex life is very important to me and it's one thing I don't want to lose!

I'd love to hear about anything you have to say regarding Saphris, such as how it has affected your mental illnesses, side effects or any other experiences you care to share.

Based on just two days experience I am wondering if - after more than a decade of various meds - this might be the miracle drug I've been looking for. Nothing else seems to work significantly though a few have made some impact. If it continues working I will have to choose between enjoying the benefits of the drug while gaining weight and losing much of my sex drive, OR going back to suffering mentally but remaining at a healthy weight and having my wild sex drive.

I'm just looking for some input. Thanks!

Sophia

Edited by sophiaw

Sophiaw, I found saphris to be amazing but I overate during the the nights. I went to bed just fine an slept like a baby then suddenly woke up and HAD to eat. I can't understand it. Others will say it was completely weight neutral for them. YMMV.

I was only on it a little less than a month, but it made me very hungry (although I don't know if this is normal or if exercise helps or not if you gain weight- on Risperdal at least, I was unable to lose weight even doing it the "right way"). Saphris would knock me out within ten minutes, but I got a bit hostile on it. I wonder if it pushed me into some manic state. I don't have much to report so hopefully others will be more helpful. And I had no sex drive during that time because I was very depressed and psychotic so I don't think the med had anything to do with it.

I truly fear, after going manic, rapid cycling, and back in the hospital after years, there may be some issues with Saphris. I know they are pushing it right now - but, my friends, please be careful. The hell I'm still going through, I'd wish on no one.

Yours,

Christian

post-13417-0-14981300-1326213827_thumb.j

Edited by christianinks

Christian, I have just started Saphris too. Today as a matter of fact. I am going slowly up: 5 mg a day to 7 mg maybe ten a day after the first week. I can't imagine 20. I feel very hungry and weird, like anxious and disconnected to my body and sleepy for around thirty five mnts until I either take a nap or just wait it out.

I am trying to find a way to find something like doing meditation or light yoga during this time. Because after taking it for 4 days in the hospital I felt like ME again. The depression and delsuions were gone. Hang in there. Keep me up tp date ok? PM me or watch my blog-friend me. I need a buddy in this. I will make it-u can too. we deserve a life!!! :surprised:

Debbie,

Now that I've been literally detoxing a MONTH off this drug which has been HORRIBLE - terrible depression. They want to start me back on it! The thought is the 20 was to much for me and threw me manic (which it did) and then the crash. I can't deal with the sleep issue to the point that I've (OMG) waited five days and still have not started the med. I tell you what, I'll start 5 tomorrow and we can work up from there! lol My real e-mail ics christianinks@gmail.com. GOOOOOOD Luck fellow users. There is something in this drug, I tell you!

So sorry to hear that! I think going slow is the right thing uf you are going to keep on with it. I'll check in with you.

I think Saphris is really working for me. I am up to 10mg now and the doctor said I can go to 20. It is weight neutral for me (I stopped Resperidone because it was making me eat). I have lost a few pounds since I started the Saphris. The one side effect that I have had that was bothersome was hostility (like mentioned in a previous post above). I started Cymbalta in January and I believe it is equalizing and balancing that out.

I don't want to stop the Saphris. It makes me functional.

Immediately on taking Saphris I felt sleepy and drunk, lost motor coordination, that kind of thing. Even when I took it the night before, it was still hours before I was safe to drive the next day. It made me slightly manic, too, which I liked very much; I actually took a road trip to see an old college friend, & that is something that would never have happened before. Never, Ever. I even went dancing -- which I hadn't done in YEARS.

Then the grief, crying so hard I couldn't go to class. I guess I was cycling. I lost weight on Saphris, no doubt because of the mania.

In the end as much as I liked the mania--and I did love it, putting on makeup, feeling optimistic--I also began raging at my kids. Extreme irritability, I guess.

Anyhow, it is an intense, very powerful drug. No doubt about that. It's meant to go straight into the bloodstream, so doesn't surprise me you felt it immediately. All my meds affect me immediately, since day 1.

The thing that has made me lose my sex drive, I believe, has been age, having kids, and getting fat. It's never really been meds. I always wanted to be married so I could have an anytime, all the time partner. Now that I am married, I don't want sex anymore. So, definitely, don't take it for granted & enjoy every minute of it (always being safe, of course.) Good Luck.

Edited by sheila2050

I loved Saphris, but it caused an irrational hunger that made me binge and binge uncontrollably. I've gained a terrifying amount of weight in only one year. So I'm having to wean off of it, and try something else.

What I loved about the Saphris was that I was able to sleep more than 3 hours. I could put in a good 6 hours, sometimes more. It was heaven! The rage attacks diminished greatly, and the paranoia.

I wish it didn't make me so obese.

I have already discontinued it-the eating and anxiety-the anxiety right after taking it-whoa!!!! was too much. I am now on Geodon 20 mg 2x a day and it makes me so sleepy but not hungry and not anxious. Funny though, the first time I took it Geodon, it did make me anxious. However, I was probably withdrawaling from something with it.

Hi~ I'm starting Saphris 5mg tonight so I was reading what you all thought. I'm kinda freaked out to take anything new, but I was on aplenzin and I went manic so I just stopped that and the Saphris is being added in. ~ I'm bipolar 1 and also take Xanax and gababentin~ I just feel scared now that I read it gave debby anxiety~ I seriously have enough of that already.

I had an allergic reaction to saphris where my tongue swelled and my throat was closing up. I hope you find some solace with this medication.

First night on Saphris~ so far so good. I slept good and I feel way calmer today. thank u for the heads up @cfranco92 about reaction..... I'm kinda obsessing on my tongue now~lol!~ but it's really good to know and b aware of! I had an allergic reaction to Topamax a couple years ago and ended up in ER! :/... it's always scary trying new meds! And the Topamax reaction took 2 weeks, so that was super disappointing!~ I thought...oh, wow this is starting to help.....then, bam!.....major, major hives!.....so I just gotta wait

and c a bit with this. Take care everyone! Xo~

I wanted Saphris to be my miracle drug...and it almost was. Almost. I started with 5mg daily and began vomiting on day 3. I attributed this to the flu. The flu just didn't go away, however. Off and on I would vomit, until it began to be my regular thing. I would get really drowsy after taking Saphris, and felt the need to take a nap. I felt SO clear-headed on it, though! I was sane, and sane is so great. I went up to 10mg, but would vomit immediately after the tab dissolved. I tried applying a mint to the top of my tongue, in case the taste was just too much for me to handle. It was a no go. I lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks of taking Saphris. I ended up crying a lot because I couldn't play with my kids like I wanted to. I couldn't figure out why I was so sick, and I was totally in denial that it was Saphris that was making me sick. I ended up getting mild dystonia from it. My whole body felt like it was on fire. My muscles burned and ached. I felt like I had just ran a 10k. My neck got stiff and I couldn't move my arms very well. Finally I called my doc and explained the whole deal to him. He suggested I go ahead and stop taking Saphris. Gee, ya think? Aside from the side effects, my crazy sure was handled. I miss it. Not the horrendous stuff, but the clarity.