CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Überpolarbear

HALP:Racing thoughts resistent to ANYTHING. any ideas? Topamax? benzos?

Hi,

It's been a long time since i've been around here.... anyways..

I am supposed to have schizoaffective disorder but i rather believe it's just bipolar with very very rare psychotic beakdowns ( 3 times in whole for some hours without the need of hospitalization or anything ) but because of my rather sensory issues (overload) and derealization symptoms i have they say it's schizoaffective.

on the top of that i have to change my pdoc because i moved to a different city and he wont believe me i have bipolar altogether and keeps prescribing me low potency old antipsychotics one after the other in addition to my zyprexa and valproate.

so here is my problem. i have mood swings. not the kind that would render me running naked on the street or commit suicide but it ain't fun either. and most of the time it's mixed. and almost all the time with RACING thoughts from hell. and when the thoughts get quiet i get depression. i get hypomanic very seldom but it's fun as it lasts.

so problem: RACING THOUGHTS

solution: not found yet (oh god please let this "yet" be appropriatly put).

there are maybe 4 to 5 antipsyshotics that i haven't taken yet so i REALLY dont believe antipsychotics are the solution. i took all the new ones except geodon. that INCLUDES Clozapine even high dose Clozapine. and some of the old ones too. i mean the really sedating low potency ones like Chlorprothixene(Taractan) and Methotrimeprazine (Nozinan, Levoprome), Dominal, whatever. stuff that would knock off an elephant. i didnt even felt a difference. but some made me depressed i should admit. which sucked. I think i will beat any doc that tries to put more antipychotics in me (except for Zyprexa. i have a good feeling about zyprexa for whatever reason)

So here is my idea. i need some shit that calms my brain. And antipsychotics wont do that. maybe i should take 5 other mood stabilizers along with valproate? i've had Lithium and Carbamazepine at different times but they didnt really help that much. but Topamax has come to my attention recently. they say it makes you dumb and you cant think straight. well for me that would be A VERY GOOD THING. Honestly that's the only thing i can think of. or maybe i should go hardcore and take diazepam or tavor? i know that bezos calm me down. at least single doses of them. as opposed to huge doses of taractan and nozanin that wont do shit. Bad idea i know......

sooooo......please tell me some good stuff on Topiramate. and tell me how to get my doc to prescribe it !

or if you have any other idea keep it coming

Thanks for your time

Edited by Überpolarbear

I can relate to those pesky racing thoughts that won't shut off, but these meds are things I don't know much about. Wish I could say something more helpful than the standard, "Ask your doc". But that's most likely the best thing to do if you're needing a med change.

Yeah, no experience with the Topamax, but it does "dumb you down" according to a friend that took it. I'm not sure if I'd wish for that...it sounds good now but when you can't complete tasks because your brain is foggy it might not be so great... I'm another one for talking to the pdoc. Maybe there is something better, or a combination of meds? Instead of focusing on how to get the doc to prescribe you a drug that may not be the best for you, work together and decide on a treatment plan.

As for the benzos, I take one for racing thoughts and irritability. It works, but only because I'm on the other meds to try and prevent it before it happens. If you are having trouble with getting the doc to believe you I would break it down day by day how you are doing, in a mood chart. It's one thing to say, "I was hypomanic" and quite another to say, "I blew through a stop sign because I was so hyped up that I couldn't stop in time" or "I wanted to hurt myself I was so depressed". It helps to be descriptive. I am really bad with talking about how I'm doing if asked...so I write it all down and the doc gets to read, blow by blow what happened. He likes it because otherwise he wouldn't be getting straight answers.

I took Topamax for one month. It made me dopey. And the weirdest side effect was that food was a strange foreign object that I didn't think needed to belong in my stomach.

I take topamax and I love it! I've taken it for years and seems to be one of the only meds that works for me. It does dull you (a lot) at the beginning but that does wear off. It also made me drop like 30 pounds. It really keeps my mood swings under control; the racing thoughts and intruding thoughts are pretty much gone. The main problem I have with it is the word replacement. Sometimes I just say the wrong word like one time I said "Let's all go get in the spoon." I meant car. But that's a small price to pay for a peaceful brain- and occasionally it's amusing. I would talk to your doc about it because topamax is not for everyone but it really worked for me. Good luck and I hope things get better!

Have you tried Risperdal for racing thoughts?

I have to say that neither Lithium nor Lamictal treated my most distressing symptom, racing thoughts and obsessions/ruminations. Risperidone prn makes a difference, particularly as it also improves my mood. I don't want to take it every day as it's not prolactin-neutral and the AP I was on for years, Sulpiride, made me get hyperprolactinaemia and hence stop my periods and thin my bones. Prn is a useful compromise and I have noticed no real side effects apart from it taking a bit longer to orgasm the day after, but meh, who cares? I am generally sexually satisfied so it's no biggie.

I have to say that neither Lithium nor Lamictal treated my most distressing symptom, racing thoughts and obsessions/ruminations. Risperidone prn makes a difference, particularly as it also improves my mood. I don't want to take it every day as it's not prolactin-neutral and the AP I was on for years, Sulpiride, made me get hyperprolactinaemia and hence stop my periods and thin my bones. Prn is a useful compromise and I have noticed no real side effects apart from it taking a bit longer to orgasm the day after, but meh, who cares? I am generally sexually satisfied so it's no biggie.

I take Risperdal everyday; I didn't realize it was so useful as a PRN. What dose do you take? I take 1 mg, and I haven't had any real troubling side effects. I'm eating more, and when I began the medication, there were some sexual related effects, which have actually diminished with time and are actually tolerable -- nothing like the SSRI effects on sexual functioning that I have experienced.

I take Risperdal everyday; I didn't realize it was so useful as a PRN. What dose do you take? I take 1 mg, and I haven't had any real troubling side effects. I'm eating more, and when I began the medication, there were some sexual related effects, which have actually diminished with time and are actually tolerable -- nothing like the SSRI effects on sexual functioning that I have experienced.

I take 0.5mg every so often. This could be every few days or every few weeks, depending on my symptoms. It does conk me out to sleep in a way the other three meds I take don't and I feel a lot lighter and less 'in my head' the next day. Yeah, I haven't taken an SSRI for over 10 years, but I well remember the nothingness I felt! The very vague difference there with Risperidone is the only side-effect that I noticed would be an issue if I increased it.

Racing thoughts can be addressed by topamax at the proper dose. It did for me at 200mg. But recently, when I went off the Topamax and had racing thoughts, my pdoc asked me to take Zyprexa Zydis 10mg PRN and it worked.

Of course, YMMV, but racing thoughts happen at night when going to bed, so the sedation from the Zyprexa really helped. Calmed me down.

Now I am having racing thoughts again, so I guess I'll be put back on Topamax. It's a good drug for those with temporal lobe issues and quells anger spells like nothing can. I never felt dumber on it. Was able to go to med school and get good grades. Never had the word-finding problems either. It was basically side-effect free for me except for the welcome 40-pound weight loss.

Good luck!