CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
esmereldaskysurfer

If this drug passes trials, would you take it?

http://gizmodo.com/brain/

Personally, my answer is NO. Trying a new atypical or anti-depressant is one thing, you can stop the drug and go back to normal if it doesnt work out, but re-growing parts of your brain? No thanks. Not until i've seen how the people who took it are faring at least 10 years down the line. I'd rather take my chances with lithium and antipsychotics.

I feel the same way when they talk about drug treatments that mess with your genes, or the stuff around your genes (i cant remember what it's called). Its messing with very important stuff and the ramifications if it goes wrong are huge.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I would say no to taking it because my current meds are working. That being said, if they were not working I would still be too scared to try something like this that messes with or changes genes.

It's just too soon to see what kind of ramifications in the long run there could be.

Just my opinion though because I get scared of long term damage from medications anyways.

I might. It certainly wouldn't be the only med out there that seems to cause changes in the brain, as was mentioned above.

It wouldn't be on the top of my list though, just because brand new drugs almost never are.

A number of psyco meds regrow brain tissue, including Lithium.

I have heard hypotheses that garden variety SSRIs for that matter likely actually operate by doing so...

If I ever end up in a deep and unrelenting depression again, then yes. I would try it. If this drug passes the trials, then the short-term side-effects can't be much worse than the currently available anti-depressants. And as far as possible long-term side-effects are concerned, I can't imagine that it has a much bigger impact on my lifespan than the air pollution and the artificial additives in supermarket food.

Hell, I would, if it was FDA approved and I absolutely needed it. I mean, I've already had ECT, which is controversial as well.

It's a nice spin but yes, the fact is they have already proven that ECT and Anti-depressants, lithium etc... can help to return hippocampus through actual cell growth. I think the manufacturers are trying to make their Anti-depressant something 'New' by touting it this way, when in fact it's probably just an enhanced version of what we already have. i am always leary of brand new drugs until they have been out on the market for a bit, but have already decided, that I will try many things including ECT or new drugs if it comes to it. I'd try this too.

For myself I would consider it a secondary or tertiary med. I would want it to be out for a few years.

Sounds interesting but I don't really understand what is going to grow in my brain that will put a stop to my depression. just seems to good to be true. and what about all my psychological triggers?

But if it Neuralstem helps Alzheimers? I'm there.

Interesting. Latuda is a novel atypical different from any other. It's only been on the market a year. You already are taking something without proven long-term consequences that probably promotes brain growth.

As others have said, a lot of psych meds grow your brain.

Sounds interesting but I don't really understand what is going to grow in my brain that will put a stop to my depression. just seems to good to be true. and what about all my psychological triggers?

But if it Neuralstem helps Alzheimers? I'm there.

Your psychological triggers are based on a physiological reaction to perceived stress to perceived danger. Remove the reaction remove the trigger. Imagine increasing the hippocampus size as to giving you increased stress tolerance and trigger tolerance.

The hippocampus contains high levels of glucocorticoid receptors, which make it more vulnerable to long-term stress than most other brain areas. Stress-related steroids affect the hippocampus in at least three ways: first, by reducing the excitability of some hippocampal neurons; second, by inhibiting the genesis of new neurons in the dentate gyrus; third, by causing atrophy of dendrites in pyramidal cells of the CA3 region. There is evidence that humans who have experienced severe, long-lasting traumatic stress, show atrophy of the hippocampus, more than of other parts of the brain. These effects show up in post-traumatic stress disorder, and they may contribute to the hippocampal atrophy reported in schizophrenia and severe depression. A recent study has also revealed atrophy as a result of depression, but this can be stopped with anti-depressants, even if they are not effective in relieving other symptoms.

Yes. Without looking too much into it.. it sounds like it's about restoring it to normal size, not just a general increase. Passing FDA standards normally means there are no egregious downsides to taking it. At this point, if the data is there and it's not going to seriously harm or kill me - I'm there.

I might. I fit passes the FDA standards then I reckon I would trust it. I'ts not like it matters that much to me, as I have many possible meds that I can still try. But if I ever got to that point then I would take it.

Maybe. I would still wait a few months after it passed trials.

Well I'd consider it but I'd be a bit chicken and would probably wait til many many people had tried it first and MAYBE several years down the line if I found it to be effective and safe with LOTS of other people and I was running out of options I might take it.