CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
saoirse

Zoloft causing lack of appetite?

Was started on 50 mg of Zoloft a little more than a week ago. I've lost five lbs. I just cannot get myself to eat. Of course, this could also be the depression itself.

Has anyone else found lack of appetite a side effect of Zoloft?

I'm on it for OCD-like thoughts and to help beat depression. Obsessive thoughts are almost gone, but depression still lingers. Bah...

I'm totally not an expert but depression (itself) has really messed up with my desire to eat. And that of course has caused a lot of weight loss. A lot of drugs for depression list weight loss as a symptom.

I tried Google and Weight loss IS a common side effect of Zoloft® (sertraline hydrochloride). On average, people lose about one to two pounds when they begin taking Zoloft. On rare occasions, people have significant weight loss on Zoloft that requires them to stop taking the medication.

If it helps with your depression and your not wasting away I would stay on the drug and bring it up when your doctor does a med check (Which if your just starting this should be a month or so)

I've had loss of appetite on all the SSRIs I've tried. Zoloft wasn't one of them though, I'm afraid.

It could be either. I suppose it's down to you - do you want to eat, but you aren't hungry, or do you not want to eat? The latter could potentially be more indicative of it being the depression.

I was on Zoloft while on a few other meds, so I can't be sure; I experience appetite loss, but I was also on Abilify, then on Wellbutrin, while on Lamictal and few others. It really could be either.

When I was on Zoloft, I was also on Abilify. It was either one, the other, or both—not sure which—that caused a complete loss of appetite. I had to force myself to eat. It got so bad that I was getting really shaky and lightheaded because I wasn't eating—that's how I knew it was time to eat.

I found in my first couple weeks of starting Zoloft, I lost my appetite and lost 5 lbs. I slowly gained my appetite back and weigh more now than I did before starting the Zoloft.