CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Kodos

Ketamine as a rapid antidepressant

A small study published in 2000 suggested that ketamine may act as a rapid antidpressant - i.e., within 72 hours.

There is currently a clinical trial to evaluate effectiveness, clinicaltrials.gov identifier NCT00088699 - "Rapid Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine in Major Depression" . There is also NCT01304147 - "Intranasal Ketamine in Treatment-Resistant Depression". Also NCT00768430 - "Optimization of IV Ketamine for Treatment Resistant Depression".

Then there's ketamine in combination with ECT; identifier NCT01260649 - "N-methyl-D-aspartate Antagonist (Ketamine) Augmentation of Electroconvulsive Treatment for Severe Major Depression".

umm, 2000 was a while ago. just sayin.

maybe i'm misunderstanding, and there's current research?

edit again: how is this relevant?

Edited by shimmeree

There have been some recent threads, I'm not sure where, about people discussing clinic trials for ketamine as an anti-depressant. Kodos, perhaps you should look there for more up to date information.

You might also find something about this in the academic interests forum. You could try searching for it.

One thing to note, the doses they use are no where near what makes you high or hallucinate.

I don't think it's true that they don't use a dose high enough to make you high. It's a drawback of ketamine, and they are working on finding out what in it cures depression, so that they can isolate that substance and remove the hallucinogenic qualities. If you go to clinicaltrials.gov and search "Depression Ketamine" you'll find lots of trials. I looked into one in Bethesda Maryland at the NIMH. They said they would pay all my expenses, transportation from Toronto and back, food and lodging, to be a subject. I was seriously considering it, but then I developed Interstitial Cystitis(IC), and upon researching that, I read that some people have gotten IC from Ketamine abuse. Now this wouldn't be abuse and I certainly have never even tried Ketamine, so the IC not from that, but I'm worried it may make my sensitive bladder worse. So I've decided on experimental Magnetic Seizure Therapy as my next desperate attempt to cure my incurable depression.

Edited by Just Another Random Person

I don't think it's true that they don't use a dose high enough to make you high.

That seem to be some peoples interest in this treatment, hope for a free high.

I doubt that getting high while a bunch of doctors and nurses monitor your every vital function and response would be a whole lot of fun. In fact it might be kind of embarrassing and awkward. You have to show documented proof that you've tried lots of other things too, before they let you try experimental treatments. The average number of antidepressants tried by subjects in treatment resistant depression clinical trials is 8. I imagine the biggest high would be the sudden disappearance of a depression that's been ruining your life for ages.

Edited by Just Another Random Person

One thing to note, the doses they use are no where near what makes you high or hallucinate.

Ofcourse they're using doses far below "recreational" amounts. From what I've been reading this shows great promise and im considering applying for one of these studies.

In July of 2011, I was in the depths of a life threatening suicidal depression – frustrated with the slow to no pace of recovery offered by my med cocktail, I contacted Mt. Sinai seeking information on their Ketamine trials.

What follows is my inquiry:

Joe Nickerson

to dan.iosifescu

40 year old male - long time sufferer of depression – dx: Dysthymia with major episodes. Onset occurred in my early teens, went untreated until 2009. To date I have been prescribed Prozac, Cymbalta, Ativan, Klonopin, Abilify, Wellbutrin, and Lithium. My current rx consists of Cymbalta 90 mg, Prozac 30 mg, Klonopin .5 x 2 per day, and Lithium 300 mg. Although my symptoms are diminished with each dose increase, the relief is temporary – typically lasting between one to two months. I attempted suicide several times in my early twenties – each attempt involved overdosing – ranging from prescription drugs to heroin. I have not used illegal drugs since the age of 27. I have become increasingly suicidal, going so far as to procure the means necessary.

To be perfectly frank, I experience un-alleviated psychic agony on a daily basis. My question, are you still accepting applicants, and if not, do you know of any similar trials being performed in the New England area?

I thank you for your time and wish you way more than luck –

joe nickerson

The response:

Iosifescu, Dan dan.iosifescu@mssm.edu

to Sarah, me

Hi Mr. NickersonThank you for your message. You may qualify to participate in our study as long as you are currently in a major depressive episode and if you and your doctor think it is best for you to stop all your current medications (Cymbalta, Prozac, Klonopin and Lithium).

If that is the case please contact my assistant Ms. Sarah Pillemer at 212-241-4480 who will ask you additional questions to determine your eligibility.

Best regards,

Dan V. Iosifescu, M.D., M.Sc.

Director, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program

Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Neuroscience

Mount Sinai School of Medicine

One Gustave L. Levy Place Box 1230

New York, NY 10029

Office: Atran Building, Level E, Room 17

Phone: 212-241-4480

Fax 212-241-3354

E-mail: dan.iosifescu@mssm.edu

Given the requirement to stop all other medications, I chose not pursue this treatment. If, after several successful trials, some form of Ketamine is offered for further testing, I think I will give it a go – at this point, I have nothing to lose.

Edited by goodoldneon

Yeah, I had some misgivings at the time. I was so unstable, I suspected weaning off of several drugs, simultaneosly might push me over the edge.

I had quite a few friends who used ketamine recreationally and some used a small amount on a daily basis to help with depression. They claimed it helped anyway. I guess they might have been on to something.

I just heard this yesterday on NPR. I was a bit stunned. I thought Ketamine was like, an elephant tranquilizer? Or something like that. I think someone spiked my sisters drink with it once eons ago. The report also talks about scopolamine, which is used for sea sickness. Perhaps an overly positive outlook but this med sounds very interesting for people who cannot take SSRI's and it supposedly has less side effects. vamos a ver.

This is the link to the article and to the audio report.

My doc said yes to ketamine treatment for depression but what Im into is the finidings that it works on GABA and that gluta (forget end) pathway as opposed to the ususal neurotransmitters. A lot of research on protein folding and glia ...

I imagine the biggest high would be the sudden disappearance of a depression that's been ruining your life for ages.

This. I hope this is the case. I don't even know what I'll do with myself if I'm ever undepressed.

I took ket a couple years ago, recreationally..made me feel very out of body and blunt. Hated the shit. Was always an LSD girl myself ..didnt understand the ket trip

I took ket a couple years ago, recreationally..made me feel very out of body and blunt. Hated the shit. Was always an LSD girl myself ..didnt understand the ket trip

They aren't talking about ketamine substance abuse, they are talking about ketamine being used under medical supervision in low doses, administered differently and supervised. This is a whole different ball game than recreational abuse.