my love/hate relationship w/Lexapro

I wish I knew what to make of Lex.  One day,  I'll feel fine and I'll feel so grateful that I just feel ok.  Then the next I'll get kind of depressed. Then the next day depressed, ok, even good in the same day.  I raised the dose to 15 mg a few weeks ago and it seems exactly the same as 10mg.  Don't get me wrong, it helps with the depression A LOT.  It just doesn't work 100% of the time like it should.

I don't have a pdoc, the soonest I can get in to a new one is Dec 28th (!!)  I could go to a nurse practitioner in the meantime but I know what she would say.  Why don't you raise the dose to 20mg and we'll see what happens?  What a fucking waste of money that would be.  I might as well do it on my own so I can avoid that crap.

Are you looking for affirmation to up your dose or just venting?

I know we all forget this but even going up to 20 mgs (which is perfectly reasonable) it will THEN take a full 6 to 8 weeks at THAT dose to settle in to where you will be stable.

I for one think even that is a misnomer as yes indeed by that time you will know if it is working but to get truly stable and for most side effects to go away and normal sleep to return is more like 3 to 4 months.

I say use an NP or a GP to at least have record of how you are doing and to be able to get refills until you see a pdoc. IF for some reason you don't like this pdoc or anything goes haywire you have some sort of backup.

CC~

Guest Vapourware

Hi,

I agree with ConfusedCat - I think you should wait a few more weeks for the medication to become stable in your system before thinking of changing the dose.

Don't get me wrong, it helps with the depression A LOT.  It just doesn't work 100% of the time like it should.

If it is helping, then IMO it is working. Give it time. Also, ADs are only intended to lift your baseline mood, not make you happy constantly. So, expect some mood swings - although the mood swings should be lesser than your non-medicated state.

No, I'm not looking for affirmation to up the dose.  I'm just bitching.  I'm skeptical that Lexapro alone is going to cut it and I'm wondering when I'm going to get a stable pdoc going who can recognize that.  I don't want to be happy constantly, I just want to be not depressed constantly. I've been taking Lexapro for 5 months and I thought I would be further along in having my meds figured out by now.

Good luck, I've only been on lex 9 days at 10mg/day, funnily enough I haven't really noticed any fx yet, except yesterday I felt fantastic, just really good but it only lasted for the evening, today is back to normal. If it worked like yesterday all the time, I'd say it's the best AD for me, that would be just great. I'll have to wait and see I guess. Of course then in 6 months time it'll prolly poop out, and I'll have hunt for sometingn else blah.

I wish I knew what to make of Lex.  One day,  I'll feel fine and I'll feel so grateful that I just feel ok.  Then the next I'll get kind of depressed. Then the next day depressed, ok, even good in the same day.  I raised the dose to 15 mg a few weeks ago and it seems exactly the same as 10mg.

Huh, I don't know.  My experience is somewhat different than the others, probably because I'm BP2.  But each time an AD would poop out on me and the dose would get increased, I would feel better after about a week ... or not at all.

BTW, around here anyway, there isn't much difference in price between different doses. It just depends on the number of pills.  Anyone else notice this?

Guest Vapourware

I've been taking Lexapro for 5 months and I thought I would be further along in having my meds figured out by now.

Disregard my first post, then. I didn't realize you had been taking the drug for such a long time. Maybe you need something different.

Archived