Sign in to follow this  
breezy

The Great Soda v. Pop Debate

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is it soda or pop?

• soda
    • pop
    • other

Hey. As someone who is studying sociolinguistics that is not all we do! :)

Woah! I wasn't expecting anyone else to be a linguist in here. You're absolutely right, though. It's just that when I usually drop the sociolx bomb on people, I get the confused dog look from them. It's just easiest to tell them that we study stuff like soda vs pop, or people who say "pen" like "pin." Then they get all fascinated and try to talk about how they notice when people talk differently, and then you get to sit back and just smile and nod.

Edit: Also, the thought's always been in the back of my head to try to use CB as a corpus for a study, but since it's all written language, that'd make things really hard if not impossible.

Edited by qwerty

Is it a skillet, or a frying pan, or a fry pan?

Green beans, string beans, or snap beans?

We're about the green beans, soda, frying pans and you guys here. Kleenex/tissue interchangeable. But Husbandman is from Tennessee, and knows about cokes.

frying pans and skillets are actually two different things ;)

But... heh.

I say soft drink, soda, and pop, sometimes soda water if it doesn't have syrup but is still soda like. or carbonated beverage.

I say tissue, but if people look at me funny I will say 'tissue or kleenex' and then am understood.

Man, y'all are weirdos. It's said 'pop' in my household. "You want a pop?" "Yeah, thanks."

The whole 'cokes' thing baffles me. I say kleenex too, and green beans, and frying pan.

Regional shit is awesome.

It's said 'pop' in my household. "You want a pop?" "Yeah, thanks."

To "pop" someone would be to hit them, here.

"You want a pop at that?" would be quite possible = "would you like to have a try, (make an attempt) at that?"

Pop is also a sudden short movement, (up to and including a trip to the shops: pop in, out, up, down, round /around, across, over, under, by, to...), a style of music, an affectionate name for one's male parent, and a sound, as of bubble wrap being used as therapy.

We'll leave Point Of Presence out of this.

English!

I remember one time my pdoc asked me did I drink a lot of pop, and I laughed! It sounded hilarious for an Irish man to use that expression. However he lived in Canada for many years so I guess that's where he picked that up.

I picked other because I never use either of the terms pop or soda. Nobody does here. I live in Ireland and most people use the term "soft drinks", however you will also hear many people using the terms "mineral" or "fizzy drinks" a lot for soft drinks.

On BTW I also use the term "tissues"!! :P

i can't remember the name of the show, but it was about different regions of the US and how different dialects formed. the thing i remember most was that the "southern" accent was facilitated by the civil war and was a purposeful slight against the north to differentiate the north and south. i thought it was interesting. i wish i could remember that show's name!

Edited by shimmeree