CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Penny Century

Tumblr to block SI and pro ana blogs

I think this is a really good idea. I always feel sad when I see those kinds of blogs (not to mention they can be quite triggering), and I don't think that kind of behaviour should be encouraged.

Only, I hope that this doesn't hit those of us who are blogging about our MI for recovery purposes.

Guest Vapourware

I think that's an excellent stance from tumblr.

From reading the proposed guidelines, it doesn't look like recovery-based tumblrs will be impacted. It seems that tumblr are targeting those who are promoting the idea of self-harm, suicide and eating disorders.

The thing is, every time one site blocks them, they just sprout up someplace else. Don't get me wrong, I hope it helps someone out there. I guess I'm just cynical.

Huh...

This is interesting to me.

I really believe in freedom of speech... and I really believe in social responsibility.

Not entirely sure how I feel about that.

I mean, its tumblr's choice to make about what kind of content will be permitted.

But there is, in my mind, a place for The Hemlock Society (advocates of Right to Die position for people with terminal illness).

I think it depends on the population. I feel like a lot of the target audience for some of this stuff is teenagers. I hate to be paternalistic but I think there's a difference between that and a terminally ill adult choosing to die.

I think this is a really good idea. I always feel sad when I see those kinds of blogs (not to mention they can be quite triggering), and I don't think that kind of behaviour should be encouraged.

Only, I hope that this doesn't hit those of us who are blogging about our MI for recovery purposes.

I agree.

Huh...

This is interesting to me.

I really believe in freedom of speech... and I really believe in social responsibility.

Not entirely sure how I feel about that.

I mean, its tumblr's choice to make about what kind of content will be permitted.

But there is, in my mind, a place for The Hemlock Society (advocates of Right to Die position for people with terminal illness).

I don't even know how to feel about it. I think it's affecting those blogging for recovery purposes, like hallowedink said, but I agree with your statement. It is tumblr's choice, but...and there's always that but....

I think glorifying SI and being pro-ana/whatever in blogs is wrong; recovery purposes don't necessitate glorified pics.

I'll clarify what I meant: I blog, and it's exclusively for myself for recovery purposes. The blog isn't entirely private, so some people can view it. However, being as I am currently really quite ill, it's hard for my blog to always be 100% recovery-oriented. I do not condone those behaviours in anyone else, but I do talk about them. I'm just concerned that posts about self-harm which don't promote but aren't completely recovery oriented might be hit.

I agree that everyone has a right to freedom of speech, but I also think that promoting these behaviours can be pretty harmful. I guess somewhere in between a balance needs to be found...

I think it depends on the population. I feel like a lot of the target audience for some of this stuff is teenagers.

I agree. What adults may choose to do or not is very different to me. But I wish there were better ways to protect the minds of young people than censorship. It is good that they want to discourage pro-harm sites, but how they are really going to enforce it, regulate it, and determine what exactly consititutes a pro-harm site remains to be seen.

I'm not worried about my own MI recovery blog which I host on blogger. If some search engines or whatever don't want to ping it, that does not bother me. However, if blogger says I can't blog about MI at all - well they'll be hearing from a lot more people than just me.

I don't like it. But then again, I'm not the owner of tumblr and therefore have no right to state what content they should allow or not allow. face it, these sites exist. No matter what is done to censor it, people will post this content and search this content. Frankly, I don't like the idea of nanny-stating the internet - if it's mostly "young people" that are being targeted by these things, then I feel that the parents should be responsible for their young peoples online experience. There are many ways to restrict internet access that are inexpensive and discreet. Parents should educate themselves on that front and then go from there.

If a parent finds out that their child might have an issue because of them surfing these blogs and sites, then wouldn't it be worth it?

I'm a big proponent of "Don't like it, don't read it". I know that this view can be seen as unfavorable, but it is what it is.

Like I said, though, I'm not tumblr. Tumblr is an independent site and therefore can control their content. Maybe everyone will move back to deadjournal again.

If I get really bad and trigger myself intentionally, I don't need tumblr to do it. What do they think they're doing? Saving me?