I see the pdoc in 2 weeks, because the benzos I've taken don't curb my anxiety. Well, one does, but I want to get back on it as a last resort. So I want to ask about seroquel for anxiety. But I'm really worried and have some questions. If this post is in the wrong place, sorry.

I tried it once before when I was first dx'd, and it made me sleep like 15 hours a day. I know I started at 100 mg and quit at 600 mg.

What is the general range seroquel is rx'd for?

Did it make you really tired? If so, how long did it last or how did you fix it?

For anxiety, do you take it at night or in the morning? Which decreases the chance for sleepiness?

For those who took/take Q for anxiety, how well did it work for you?

I know, YMMV. Thx for any info you provide.

For anxiety alone, the dose is usually kept low - when I was on it for anxiety alone, I was taking 300 mg total - 150 XR in the morning for anxiety and 150 IR at night for sleep. I also took 25-50 mg IR PRN for breakthrough anxiety. The XR is good for all-day coverage and it does make you less sleepy.

Sleepiness was still an issue for me. It did get much better with time but the adjustment period was difficult. I think it took a few months for the worst to wear off, but I was still able to function on it, I just slept a lot.

I started at .25 for sleep. I hated it. Refused to take it.

Later, I added it on during a mania and was greatful for the relief.

We gradually increased my dose as needed.

Currently I take 300 mgs in the evening of ER for anxiety, and bipolar crazies

plus a little punch fo 100 mgs regular to help with sleep

I am very grateful for this medication. It has helped tremendously for the

disturbing aspects of bipolar. Paranoia, anxiety, rapid speech,

racing thoughts PLUS it helped by winter depression.

My impression is that people react very differently to Seroquel

as far as dosage, and whether to take regular or extended release.

I know that my husband's psychiatrist does not hesitate to prescribe

up to 800 mgs. And he has some patients on a higher dose.

Try to get to bed before the uninhibited food cravings take over.

One night I woke up with an empty container of ice cream next to me.

I love my quel. Hell I'd even venture to say that it works better than my klonopin for anxiety. I am prescribed to take the quel all 600mg at night. But instead I take 300mg at lunch or so and 300mg with dinner around then. It works well for me.

I'm another fan of Seroquel for anxiety.

I take 600mg of the XR all at night, though I take it for psychosis mainly (it just happens to be good for both my anxiety and my insomnia as well). I got used to it in a few weeks or a couple of months, and now I find that I can take it about 3 hours before bed and I am usually able to get up the next day (after 8-9 hours sleep). If the sedation is not too intolerable then the wait I think is worth it.

I have been lucky to not have any other side effects. Well, apart from dry mouth which cleared up in about 3 months or so. But I dealt with that by carrying a small water bottle in my handbag, so no trouble.

I had about a week-long trial of 25mg Quel for sleep/anxiety, told I could take up to two at bedtime. So far it didn't knock me out at all, not even when I took two, though it could make my sleeping easier if I wasn't anxious/stressed/excited, which is pretty much when it's supposed to help me sleep and all that.

Since it didn't knock me out I started taking it in the morning instead. I thought, maybe, I had some reduced anxiety but... I seem to get that same effect from any med I try, so it might be a bit of hopeful placebo effect and all that.

So far, no side effects. It was claimed I was more irritable while taking it, but I was already rather depressed/angry before I went on that trial (it's what symptoms I was having when they prescribed it to me at the emergency services clinic actually) so I don't know if that connection is true or not. The first night or two that I took it I was slightly wobbly/body-drunk for maybe an hour or two after taking it, but that's it.

Pretty sure I was on the IR. Basically holding off until I meet a pdoc tmw, see what they think.

Thanks everyone for your input. I managed to get into my pdoc on Thursday morning, and will be discussing the possibility of getting on seroquel and all the effects he thinks I will have. I'll update everyone on what I find out.

Archived