CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
colin

Don't take sleeping pills!

wow...I had never hear of okapis until reading this thread...they are so goddam cute! I seriously wants one

It's an observational cohort study, where the participants are divided essentially into people who need sleepers, and healthy controls. Sleeping pills tend to be prescribed to the stressed, the depressed, the anxious, and just plain insomniacs, whereas the control group here are just an ordinary sample of the population. The 'gold standard' drug trial is a randomised, double-blind controlled trial - you take people who you would consider prescribing sleeping pills for, and they're allocated to receive either the drug or the placebo, without the patient or the doctor knowing what the patient's getting.

Personally, I think I'm more likely to step under a bus or write an incorrect prescription or just go batshit mental if I haven't slept for a week, than if I'm on zopiclone. Definitely merits further investigations before doctors change their prescribing habits.

As an aside, I don't think advising people on a mental illness forum to stop their meds without consulting their doctor is ever a great idea, although it sounds like you've taken that on board :cool2:

The media really irritate me when they publish the results of new research, without really seeming to understand how to read or critique a research paper properly, and scare the living shit out of the population. Grrrr.

Edited by Chocolate Heartache

I feel the same way about the female hormone study. Hormones cause heart attacks etc. Too bad they only studied synthetic hormones and gave high doses to women who had been in menopause for a decade or more. It also seemed really odd when the synthetic hormone people started asking the FDA to ban human / natural hormones.

News? I laugh when I read a BBC article and so often is shows up in the local paper two days later.

Due to sleep deprivation or sleep disorders people are commonly found purchasing prescribed sleeping pills from drug stores. Unfortunately, sleeping pills do not only work over night they continue working on your body throughout the day. They impair our judgment, consciousness, memory and ultimately your overall performance and well-being. It’s a misconception amongst insomniacs and others who are moderate sleep disorders patients that sleeping pills make them sleep better. In reality sleeping pills makes they feel dull and fuzzy.

Due to sleep deprivation or sleep disorders people are commonly found purchasing prescribed sleeping pills from drug stores. Unfortunately, sleeping pills do not only work over night they continue working on your body throughout the day. They impair our judgment, consciousness, memory and ultimately your overall performance and well-being. It’s a misconception amongst insomniacs and others who are moderate sleep disorders patients that sleeping pills make them sleep better. In reality sleeping pills makes they feel dull and fuzzy.

Not sleeping at all is probably going to have a worse effect, frankly.

People here tend not to be the average insomniacs. You might want to read a bit before you start bashing a class of meds. I have severe complex sleep apnea which has not proven treatable by standard means. Without sleeping meds I wake up several times an hour, all night. This kind of sleeping pattern is very detrimental to general health and especially mental health. With sleeping meds I sleep the night and wake up refreshed.

Lets see, sleep deprived, dull... CHECK

sleep deprived, fuzzy... CHECK

sleep deprived, depressed... CHECK

sleep deprived, dangerous driver... CHECK

sleep deprived, in my case psychotic.. CHECK

Your comment is dripping stupid all over me.

what Eden said.

also: Without ambien I would be crazier than I already am.

Without Zopiclone, I could go three days without sleeping more than two hours. I have never felt dull or fuzzy after taking Zopiclone and getting a good night's sleep.

I have a diagnosis of primary insomnia, i.e. a "real" sleep disorder. So is it okay with you if I take sleeping pills? Because I would really rather rely on your uneducated opinion than listen to a qualified pdoc.

I agree with taking meds to help with sleep because insomnia sucks. But IMO I would not buy OTC sleeping aids in conjunction with Rx meds, unless directed by a DR.

I want an okapi!!! :D Our son X LOVES them!!