CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Evey

If You Could Recommend One Book...

For an addict (not alcoholic) to read for help, which would you recommend? I know there's suggestions in the Crazy store, but want personal recommendations.

Well, it depends what you're looking for. Anything in the crazystore has been recommended by people on CB as "this should be in the crazystore".

Personally I like an anthology of ten famous Canadians who tell their addiction stories. But what are you looking for? Are you looking for ones that are recovery-oriented? Or are you looking for "this is my life" type stories?

Well, it depends what you're looking for. Anything in the crazystore has been recommended by people on CB as "this should be in the crazystore".

Personally I like an anthology of ten famous Canadians who tell their addiction stories. But what are you looking for? Are you looking for ones that are recovery-oriented? Or are you looking for "this is my life" type stories?

I'm looking for one that is aimed at people currently struggling with addiction and ways to recover and come to terms with the fact that they have a problem.

For an addict (not alcoholic) to read for help, which would you recommend? I know there's suggestions in the Crazy store, but want personal recommendations.

The Narcotics Anonymous blue book. Or the Alcoholic's Anonymous big book. A substance is a substance. Twelve step programs are free, but one must be honest and diligent about their use and recovery.

Are you a spiritual person?

the holy bible. even if you're not spiritual, it has helped me on my long road to hell and back. the book of job is really depressing but it helped me express my feelings and the book of judges was very motivational for me (obviously, the story of samson).

it's not a self help book, it's a memoir. it's called Zoo Station , its about Christiane F... a teenager from Berlin who was addicted to heroin and became a  prostitute to get her fix

NA Basic Text ...

I read all the big book and parts met me.

I picked up NA basic text and blew through the first 40 pages saying 'that is me' the ENTIRE time.

Good Luck. It can get better, it just isn't easy .. But when you are ready it is simple.

Sane and Waiting by Marya Hornbacher. Sane is about recovering from an addiction (following the 12 step program) and also maintaining your mental illness(es) in the meantime. Waiting is a follow up book is about how to put this altogether and go through these types of programs if you're an atheist. Don't know if the latter applies to you but I liked them both.