I just got prescribed Lithium ER 300mg 1 twice a day. Here are a few things I do know. Water, lots of it, like 2 liters a day, no NSAIDS, not a lot of Caffiene, be carefull in hot weather, sweating, dehydration. Anything else I need to know? Helpfully advice? Never been on Lithium before. Just want to make sure I have all the right info so I dont get the Toxicity and make sure it works to the full potental. thanks!

Sounds like you've got it down! My pharmacist told me to try and get my doses as close to 12 hours apart as possible...I utterly suck at that, but that's what he told me. Your water needs will vary, it's not uncommon for lithium to have you needing to get up to pee at all hours of the night. Sometimes Li upsets people's stomachs, it shouldn't be too bad since you're on the ER though.

My understanding is that the prohibition on NSAIDs is aimed primarily at elderly patients on Li who may be taking NSAIDs daily. I try not to take too much acetaminophen because of my poor liver metabolizing everything else I take daily, so I admit I take ibuprofen now and then with no ill effects. Aspirin is a safe choice.

My understanding is that the prohibition on NSAIDs is aimed primarily at elderly patients on Li who may be taking NSAIDs daily. I try not to take too much acetaminophen because of my poor liver metabolizing everything else I take daily, so I admit I take ibuprofen now and then with no ill effects. Aspirin is a safe choice.

The prohibition on taking NSAIDs and Li together is for everyone. I too have taken the two together without ill effects but others around here have not been so lucky. It's best if you don't take NSAIDs when you are on Li.

Fair enough. I'm just saying I've now run it past my pdoc and two different pharmacists, in addition to an orthopedist, and was given that impression. Aspirin, though, remains a safe choice with no discernable effect on lithium levels.

The most important thing I have learned about taking lithium is to take it with milk. I'm about to switch to the ER version, so maybe it won't be as bad, but I have developed horrible gastric reflux since I've been on it, and without the milk, my stomach burns and burns.

Fair enough. I'm just saying I've now run it past my pdoc and two different pharmacists, in addition to an orthopedist, and was given that impression.

Why would an orthopedist know anything about the workings of Li?

At any rate, my pdoc and pharmacists say don't take NSAIDS with Li. When I had a really bad sinus infection, I did talk to my pdoc about using ibuprofen temporarily, and he gave me the warning signs of elevated Li levels to keep an eye on. Within a day I was really dizzy, feeling kind of out of it and was having diarrhea, so stopped taking the ibuprofen.

Once you start taking it and get used to it, lithium is really no different than any other mental med. you just have your lithium level checked every now and again. Also, I took all 1200 mg of my daily dose all at night, so it's up to individual pdocs how you take your lithium.

I added an ANSAID (Lodine) to my regime without talking to my doctor. I had taken it years before

and I had no problem. But the result this time was LITHIUM TOXICITY and the emergency room.

Let's just say that I was very very sick. They thought I was having a stroke because I was twitching

and I could not speak. After the CAT scan the lab results came back and the doctor figured out

that it was Lithium Toxicity.

It took weeks to get over. The toxicity messed up my brain also. It was like recovering from a bad

manic episode or a serious depression. I couldn't not work for several weeks. It also scared my

husband a lot.

However, I still take Lithium. I still like it a lot. I am still grateful that my manic depression

responds well to Lithium. Plus I am relieved that my kidneys are just fine.

Dont cook with a lot of salt so shouldnt be a big problem.

I'm not sure quite why this happens, but every so often I get huge salt cravings, like I will gnaw a hunk of salt if it's around. I figure my body is telling me something and I let myself eat extra salt until I stop feeling that way. I've wondered if perhaps my Li level is working something out... So far, I've only felt better after eating the salt. In general, I think I eat less salt than I used to pre-Li.

I became toxic on lithium and nsaids (a lot of nsaids), too. And now I am on lithium again, and my pdoc said I could take nsaids once or twice a month, but I have just not taken any, because toxicity is unpleasant.

Another question, since I just started this morning how long till I see some improvement with my current manic state? It says in the Info my pNP gave me, Control of manic symptoms may require up to 14 days of treatment. Please dear gods tell me I wont be manic that much longer. I need to get back to "normal" to a state where I can resume my usual daily activities like driving and working. I havent worked now for over a week and I have this week off too. so I will have been off two weeks so far. But I know I'm not able to work right now. My dad has been very understanding about me being off work though and told me yesterday to come back to work when I feel ready, thats the nice part about working for my family.

The time it takes for lithium to change you mood varies. It all depends on your lithium blood serum level ("theraputic level") and how much you need to start responding to the medication.

You may notice a difference at a sub-theraputic level (which is what your dose likely is for you) or you may need to increase your dose once or twice with blood levels drawn in between. I personally didn't notice a difference until I got to 1200 mg with a blood level of 1.1.

You have to keep in mind that, with very few exceptions, medications don't bring you back to normal immediately. If you are wanting to stop a manic episode within 24-48 hours, I'd suggest a short-term period of zyprexa.

I have hears people with mania on the boards say they had an effect very quickly, and others taking several weeks.

I am taking it as an add on for depression. I started out 300mg, because we were concerned that I had been toxic in the past (even though it was likely the nsaids). That just got my blood level to .3, and didn't help. Now I am 450mg, and I am feeling better. Much better. After 6 or 7 days I saw a big improvement, although I was by no means not depressed. I actually don't yet know my blood level from this rise.

It has been just over 2 weeks, and I think I may possibly have gotten out of this depression, finally. It started mixed in July, and turned into depression in mid August, with the help of an AAP. Then it became "just" depression.

I am still being cautious, because I know sometimes when I improve, I think the depression is gone, when I am actually just less depressed than before. But so far, I am loving lithium.

The time it takes for lithium to change you mood varies. It all depends on your lithium blood serum level ("theraputic level") and how much you need to start responding to the medication.

You may notice a difference at a sub-theraputic level (which is what your dose likely is for you) or you may need to increase your dose once or twice with blood levels drawn in between. I personally didn't notice a difference until I got to 1200 mg with a blood level of 1.1.

You have to keep in mind that, with very few exceptions, medications don't bring you back to normal immediately. If you are wanting to stop a manic episode within 24-48 hours, I'd suggest a short-term period of zyprexa.

I'm on 600mg of the extended release a day right now, so not sure but my dose may go up ofter my first blood level check. Now I feel nausiated possibly because I took it wit h out food. I dont really want to go on Zyprexa, I had a bad experience with it when I was 20 and first diagnosed.

I have hears people with mania on the boards say they had an effect very quickly, and others taking several weeks.

I am taking it as an add on for depression. I started out 300mg, because we were concerned that I had been toxic in the past (even though it was likely the nsaids). That just got my blood level to .3, and didn't help. Now I am 450mg, and I am feeling better. Much better. After 6 or 7 days I saw a big improvement, although I was by no means not depressed. I actually don't yet know my blood level from this rise.

It has been just over 2 weeks, and I think I may possibly have gotten out of this depression, finally. It started mixed in July, and turned into depression in mid August, with the help of an AAP. Then it became "just" depression.

I am still being cautious, because I know sometimes when I improve, I think the depression is gone, when I am actually just less depressed than before. But so far, I am loving lithium.

I am on a higher dose than you starting out, but still may meed an increase. I guess I am just impatient. I want to get better NOW when I know in my head it doesnt work like that. Ugg

So, I am really really thirsty today. I have tons of water chilling in the fridge, but I had to have some now, with ice cause I am soooo thirsty. Is this my imagination or is it the Lithium? I am normally not this thirsty. Oh and my current glass of water is alm ost gone....lol.

Yeah, I use a Brita filter for the water in my fridge, and then always carry a .500ml bottle wherever I go. I know where all the fountains are in the places I go to regularly, too.

I have a britta pitcher too, had to dust it off...lol but It is usable and I have a reusable bottle I can cary with me.

Archived