CrazyBoards.org

I am going to start chantix this month. I asked my doc and can take it with my current meds just fine (prozac and seroquel, and ambien/temazepam as needed for sleep)

so the drug interactions are not my worry.

I'm simply afraud to quit smoking. I've been a chainsmoker for 23 years. I've tried to quit a few times in recent years and every time I feel really really out of control- what to do with my hands and also the withdrawals

bad dreams, and everything. I'm scared.

anyone who's got depression or schz here that has quit? how did it go for you: and how did you do it?

has anyone used chantix?

I tried cold turkey and that didn't work, it was awful. and I tried the patch which was even worse. (I ended up smoking with a patch on- same with the gum) I also tried an e-cigarette...no dice

I've done all the e-quit support group stuff too and it's no good. haven't been able to quit for more than a day

so I just want reassurance or emotional support from anyone who has quit (or tried to quit) smoking.

It's one of the hardest things to do but it CAN be done. I was a heavy smoker for years and I quit (when I found out I was pregnant) and that was some 11 years ago now.

Good luck

There's a whole thread on here about Chantix, so if you do a search, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding it. A lot of people have had bad things to say about it, but it worked really well for me (I'm bipolar with psychosis--see my handy label below). My parents also tried it. They are not mentally ill, but my mom got suicidal on it, and my dad had a horrible time with sleep. Both of those things went away as soon as they stopped taking the med. So, worst-case scenario is that you have an adverse reaction to the med and have to stop. Then regroup as to what you need to do next.

I wish you the best of luck!

There's a whole thread on here about Chantix, so if you do a search, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding it. A lot of people have had bad things to say about it, but it worked really well for me (I'm bipolar with psychosis--see my handy label below). My parents also tried it. They are not mentally ill, but my mom got suicidal on it, and my dad had a horrible time with sleep. Both of those things went away as soon as they stopped taking the med. So, worst-case scenario is that you have an adverse reaction to the med and have to stop. Then regroup as to what you need to do next.

I wish you the best of luck!

Congrats on starting the quitting process :) Everyone's different in how their body reacts with meds, I hope this works out great for you, but I would def recommend keeping a mood journal bc of how severe some of the mental side-effects are.

I started smoking at age 14, got up to 2 packs a day by the time I was 15. I smoked like a train till I was almost 19. Doesn't sound like a long time, but my cigs were my babies. I almost always had a cig in my mouth, and I wasn't a "glamorous" smoker either, my friends would joke about me having sex with my cigarette lol I really enjoyed smoking, I wasn't trying to quit. I didn't want to quit. But one day I lit up and felt a lil sick to my stomach. I put it out, and lit up about 20 mins later and got physically ill. I did this all weekend and finally gave up. I can't smoke anymore, I get sick. A few times I've smoked a few while drinking and felt 10x worse the next morning. The only time I'll smoke one is if I'm having a panic attack, it gives me something to focus on I guess? But other than that , I get sick as a dog.

Good Luck!!

Ps About a week after not having a smoke, you can smell and taste EVERYTHING! Lol I thought I was prego bc I randomly quit smoking and could smell everything lol

Chantix is how I did it and I smoked just about as long. Clean now 3 years. Don't let the fear get you. Keep in touch here for support...

Quitting smoking is the best feeling ever but it does take a while...

I want to quit smoking sometime this year, I thought about asking my doctor for Chantix. I'm kind of afraid of the side effects though, especially for people with mental illness. Please keep us posted about your progress.

Hammock:

I used to be a chain smoker. I asked my pdoc if I could use chantix, and he said that there was no need to add another med for quitting smoking, since the meds I was taking did already help with addictions in some way. So I quit smoking (with no additional aid). That was 2 years ago. One of the things that helped me a lot was starting to exercise. After exercising I found that exercise and smoking do not match. It was kind of stupid of me, of exercise and then smoke a cigarrette after all the effort I was making (to exercise). Besides, the "high" that cigarrettes gave me, was replaced by the "high" and endorphins produced by exercise.

I do smoke once in a while. Like 4 cigarrettes every 3 weeks. Only when I go out at night. But I am not a chain smoker like I was.

The thing with cigarrettes is that I was never satisfied, I always wanted another cigarrette.

Edited by CookieN

I exercise- two years ago i was running 3.1miles every other day. didn't make me want to quit. I'd get finished running and immediately want a cigarette, lol

thanks everyone. I read one thread here about it but I felt like maybe the sz symptoms getting worse, that's what scares me most and wasnt really addressed there. each time I have tried to quit I get relapsey

I go in to pick up the prescription in two weeks and Iwill revisit this thread and update as i go and ask for more support probably...definitely

I have the prescription here finally. I'm just staring at the bottle. I'm kinda freaked out.

I'm spose to start tomorrow. I plan to check in here, throughout. I was told to stay in touch with people who are supportive of my treatment and stability, and besides one or two friends, that's you guys.

I have stress about quitting. I've been stable a while, but still get fairy orchestras and the occasional voiceover or worry. I'm hoping this doesn't throw me off too much. Glad to have this place to chat about being nervous.

ive smoked for almost 20 yrs quit when 1 st daughter was born, then started back till second daughter was born. I dip "yeah i know its nasty" have high cholesterol and blood pressure so smoking im afraid is gonna give me a heart attack. Dipping doesn't strain your heart atleast Im wondering if chantix can help me finally quit it all for good.

I quit smoking cold turkey in 1994 and started back up this past December. I am a total idiot, I know. I hope you have luck with the chantix. I really have to quit again soon. I tried a few weeks ago and failed miserably. Keep us updated!

Ok I am now up to full dose of it. I'm not noticing much weirdness. My stomach has been kind of grumbly more than usual, and my sleep schedule is just as messed up as ever, same as always, not good but no different than before.

I'm having more stuff come up in memories of bad things from my youth (been dealing with this off and on for years) but I've just done what I always do with journaling and stuff. Nothing too...out of my usual.

I have smoked a pack a day since I was 12. 28 years. today, I am still smoking from yesterday's pack, and I still have some left.

I am taking all of this as a good sign, I will keep updating.

I've been having very involved realistic dreams, that's about teh only new thing I can directly say is probably from the chantix

I smoked twice today. However my negative symptom stuff is in high gear, I don't feel like getting out of bed or moving. Inertia.

Also I have had a headache. I'm giving myself two or three days to just lay around and be useless; I'm not going to try to live up to any kind of demands or responsibilities beyond walking the dog and not smoking, for a couple days...

no delusional stuff going on, weird dreams still but nothing else ... it's mostly just apathy. I am doing ok so far.

A friend gave me a cool pill minder; it made me laugh. I've been a hermit all week, hiding out in my house except to run to the store for juice and stuff, and take the dog around the neighborhood, but I've been keeping in touch online with some friends, and watching plenty of movies.

post-9559-0-97697300-1340772463_thumb.jp

post-9559-0-21002300-1340772527_thumb.jp

Edited by hammock

I quit just over 12 months ago. Man it was hard. Im still fighting it daily. I wish I could say it gets easier, but for me it just hasnt.

Id love a smoke right now.....

I'm still on chantix. I'm still at half a pack a dayish. I can't seem to willpower the actual quit. gah.