AMBIEN CR - News, Reviews & Questions

interesting that a extended release version has come out. its funny, because when i was in the hospital, people would talk about how they could fall asleep quickly with ambien, but awake 2-3 hours later. we talked about they needed an extended release version of this stuff. now, its here 3 months later. weird. goodbye lunesta.  ;)

[url="http://www.sanofi-aventis.us/live/us/en/layout.jsp?cnt=3DC041E1-5105-4D91-91FD-B5CE22879BBA"]AMBIEN CR

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful of Ambien! It has so many side effects that you might not even realize. Here's what I posted on another thread about my experience with Ambien:

I did want to comment on the Ambien. I posted this on another thread (no one answered...duh!)...but I think Ambien is extremely dangerous. I used it and, like you, it would put me to sleep for two to three hours and then wham! I was up and couldn't sleep anymore.

After a few months of this I found out that I was doing things in my sleep that I was not remembering. My husband said he had to put extra locks on the doors because I would go outside in the middle of the night; he, my son and daughter all told me how I would sit next to them and talk to them until they awakened; I would call friends in the middle of the night, and on and on. And I remembered none of this.

Then I realized that I was forgetting things during the day and saying and promising things I didn't remember.

It all stopped when I stopped the Ambien. If you read about Ambien it does say that it can cause amnesia and mental confusion, along with a hundred other things. In retrospect, after I had stopped taking it my feeling was that it had been building up in my system (because I wasn't sleeping that long on it) and, since it was in my system, the amnesia and confusion continued throughout the day.

Any time I talk with someone who has sleep problems, says they've used a sleep medication and are feeling dizzy, confused and out of it, I ask them if they're taking Ambien. So far, it's been every person...approximately 16 people.

Please be careful of Ambien...you might not realize it's building up in your system.

I've had sleep problems my entire life and Unisom used to work for me; Benadryl never did. What I take now when I need it and LOVE is Sonata. I sleep for 5-6 hours and awaken refreshed...never groggy.

Auburn Sunshine - yeah, we've talked about the ambien memory thing before - as long as people use it and go straight to bed and stay in bed there usually arn't too many problems. Thanks for the info tho ;)

Tonight is my first night on the CR....trying to decide if I should take my klonopin or not as well...

• 3 weeks later...

Ambien CR is pretty much crap. Over a few weeks it seems like just a waste of moneh it only works possibly as well. it doesn't seem to work any "longer" than regular ambien does for me - I get about 4 hours of sleep from either one.

• 3 months later...

My SIL was given Ambien CR 12.5 mg.  She had been on Lunesta for quite some time, like 6 months, but just can't tolerate the aftertaste any more.  Last night she took the Ambien CR and about a half hour later, she suddenly just vomited.  She didn't even have time to make it to the bathroom.  I don't know if it was because she didn't go right to bed, or what.  Now she's afraid of taking it.  Anyone else have that side effect?

I tried it for a few weeks and it didn't work for me, but it naver made me quesy/pukey. I have been on regular am,bien before and was fine with that as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Halo!  You and I are the same in that nothing seems to work!  I'm going give her a ring tomorrow to see if she took it again tonight or if she was too chicken.

Other than making one vomit, which hasn't happened to me, has anyone else noticed that Ambien CR doesn't work as well as well as the IR formulation?  It may just be that when I was taking the IR, I wasn't on any benzos.  I dunno.  But I got a 90 day supply of it and it don't do shit.  I've been getting by with Seroquel, but sometimes I just don't have enough time to have a Seroquel Sleep. 

Other than making one vomit, which hasn't happened to me, has anyone else noticed that Ambien CR doesn't work as well as well as the IR formulation?  It may just be that when I was taking the IR, I wasn't on any benzos.  I dunno.  But I got a 90 day supply of it and it don't do shit.  I've been getting by with Seroquel, but sometimes I just don't have enough time to have a Seroquel Sleep.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the CR formulation was very innefective comared to the regular. It did nothing, where as at least regular ambien makes me a little tired (as opposed to actually sleeping, for which nothing seems to work). I agree, it didn't do shit for me either. But some people swear by it so as with all meds, YMMV.

Thanks, Halo!  You and I are the same in that nothing seems to work!  I'm going give her a ring tomorrow to see if she took it again tonight or if she was too chicken.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let us know how she is doing NY.

Yeah, my pdoc went thru the list of what sleep meds I have tried and seemed stumped as to what to give me, I'm now trying a combo of Ambien and the benzo Niravam, we'll see how it goes.

After a few months of this I found out that I was doing things in my sleep that I was not remembering. My husband said he had to put extra locks on the doors because I would go outside in the middle of the night; he, my son and daughter all told me how I would sit next to them and talk to them until they awakened; I would call friends in the middle of the night, and on and on. And I remembered none of this

This is true, that Ambien can do that to you but I think Seroquel's dangers are worse. I get amnesia really bad from it. My problem is it turns up my appetite about 500 % and then I can barely stop myself from eating. I have woken up with empty boxes of cookies, and junk food in my bed, and not even remembering eating them. Which is dangerous when you are a diabetic.

All you have to do is take the Ambien or Seroquel and go immediately to sleep. Unless you actually get up and do things in a trance!

• 2 years later...

I've just started ambien for periodic insomnia. I work freelance on TV shows and suffer unbearable insomnia on the first couple of days of a new job. I usually am lucky if I get 1 hour of sleep, most of the time on the first day I don't even get that. Usually the night before a new job I just lay in bed with racing thoughts and don't even get one minute of sleep. I tried taking an ambien the first night at about 10:00p.m. I made sure I was "laying in bed" with the lights out when I took it, and it put me out very shortly, important to be on an empty stomach or it takes longer. Unfortunately I also woke up at 2:30 and could not go back to sleep. This wasn't so bad for me though because at least I had 4 1/2 hour of sleep. and for someone who's lucky if they get 2 hours on the first day of a new job this is a blessing. So the next day I just tried to go to sleep earlier and see what happens, I took one at 8:30, was out in 15 minutes, and woke up at the same time 2:30 a.m. So weird! So basically I got 6 hours this time. I guess 2:30 is my ambien alarm clock no matter what time I take it. I'm not complaining, it's better to have some sleep then none, and even on the day that I only got 4 1/2 I wasn't totally messed up the next day. I'm only taking it the first couple of days of a new job when I'm particularly nervous, then once I'm in the rhythm, after 2-3 days, I don't take them anymore. Everyone insomnia is different, some is chronic and some is occasional or by circumstance. I only think people should take this pill if they suffer from occasional circumstantial insomnia, and no more the for 3 days straight. I haven't experienced the sleepwalking, not that I know of. I ask my husband all the time to keep an eye out, and I'm always looking at the phones to see if any outgoing calls were made or if the fridge and pantry have been raided and it doesn't appear that I have done anything without remembering. I am subject to the occasional spacey moments at work i.e. forgetting where my car was parked, but I do that kinda stuff all the time even not on ambien so it's not out of the ordinary.

Anyway, all these letters are scaring the crap out of me. And I am very concerned. I wish I could have a better idea as to what is making people react so differently. Why some are subjected to the side effects and other's aren't. Is there something that they aren't mentioning i.e. taking ambin for too long, taking too much of it, taking it with alcohol, not taking it while in bed. This pill has basically changed my life for the better, and allowed me to go to a new job without feeling horrible and exhausted. I have considered the CR version and maybe it can increase my 4-6 hour sleep to a full 8, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Like I said, 4 hours sleep is way better then none!

;)

Archived