ipad or laptop

i need to replace my laptop soon this one is externally and internally disintergrating, peices of it are falling off and since i dropped it a few months ago something rattles inside and you have to hold it at just the right angle for it to turn on :P

soo a new laptop is a fine option but i was thinking about an ipad... i have an iphone and i love how easy it is to use (im stupid when it comes to technology) and ii thought an ipad would be cool on the go travelling

ive researched it a lot but i can find equal points in favour of both options really so if anyone has any opinions that would be great :)

the two main questions i cannot find answers too on google are

does crazyboards chat work well on a ipad?

does things like putlocker and gorrilavid work on an ipad?

if anyone can answer this or gove me other advice i would be grateful, thanks

Guest Vapourware

The chat works okay on an ipad, but not great. It's basically a larger version of the chat you'd get through your iphone.

I think whether you get a laptop or an ipad depends on what you do most. If you spend most of your time browsing through sites and reading articles and online books, then the ipad would suit your needs. If you also do word processing, then you're better off buying a laptop.

With the ipad, it's lighter and more portable. But you don't have a physical keyboard (a big need for my touch-typing behavior) and the programs you buy all have to be from the Apple store. While very large, it is not as large as the program availability on a windows or mac based laptop. Also, laptops have much larger hard drives and storage capacities.

I gave this question some thought myself, as I'm starting college again in the fall, and need something to take to class to take notes. I personally decided on a lightweight laptop that can be placed in my home that the whole family will use. Plus it will free up the old laptop I'm using now to go in my son's room, since he's starting high school in the fall.

As a background, I've had two iphones and completely love them. I read books, watch tv shows and movies, and have every program from a mood tracker to games on there. I love it.

Disclaimer: Bear in mind that I'm not a very big fan of Apple at all.

Personally, I think that if it's going to be the main device you're going to be using then a laptop might be the better option. As Gizmo said, it has better storage capacity. Also - and again this is personal preference - I think that if you're going to be using a computer for everyday tasks, such as word processing, then having a proper keyboard will be more efficient than having a touch keyboard.

There are small, lightweight laptops out there for aproximately the same price as an iPad. However, obviously your choice depends on what you're going to be using it for. As a student, I find that a laptop is a lot more useful because I'm doing a lot of writing. Also, I process and edit photos, and that already pushes my laptop to the limit of its abilities (I generally use my desktop for photos and videos now). So for me an iPad wouldn't be ideal. On the other hand, an iPad might suit you better if you're looking to browse the internet, read, or play games.

The lack of word processing on my iPad makes it nothing but a quasi-useful toy (we keep it in the basement so we can look up all the weird crap that you wind up wanting to Google while you're watching TV, like "Didn't the Mythbusters do an episode about what happens if you try that?" or "Exactly where the hell is Lichtenstein, anyway?").

That being said, when I finally have to replace my current laptop, I will be careful to weigh its successor. I got the iPad in the first place because this thing is such a beast to take on vacation.

I vote for a laptop because of the memory. I use mine for surfing, but also for writing, spreadsheets, and photo editing. Some of the laptops I looked at recently were ridiculously large and heavy, which to me, defeats the purpose of a laptop. My Fujitsu is small and light, and I will probably replace it with another Fujitsu, if and when it ever wears out.

The Dell laptop they give me at work runs fine, but it's too heavy to travel with, although if I'm on a work trip, I have to lug it with me.

If you have no other computer, then get a laptop. An ipad or other tablet cannot take the place of a "real" computer. However, if this is mainly for web surfing as an adjunct to another computer then tablets make great gadgets, especially in terms of portability. Just don't expect an ipad to have the power of a laptop.

As a die-hard Apple user since 2007, I'd say go with the laptop.

I got an iPad (first gen, 64gb, 3g/wifi) for my birthday, and it's great, I love it, it's an awesome toy. I use it to take notes at school, read ebooks, screw around online, but I wouldn't replace my laptop (actually, a Windows 7 netbook I bought so I had a computer with Windows on it) with it.

I wouldn't have got the iPad if I hadn't got it as a gift, sure, it is super cool and fun, but I wouldn't have spent my own $500 on it. (The netbook was $198)

There are apps you can get for the pad which work well for word processing, the down side being that you either need a wireless printer or you have to email yourself with the file which can be tedious. I love my pad but as previously mentioned, really its a very expensive toy.

I compromised by getting a MacBook, all of the pros of Apple OS and usability but in a lappy format. Its ever so light, and the display is a good size. I have the mac version of MS Office.

The downside of the MacBook is of course the price :( That and you have to purchase a disk drive if you want to load anything (like office)

claire

Archived