CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
thedramapolice

Applying for SNAP...probably.

I think this goes here. I wasn't really sure where to put it, so if it's moved that's fine.

Let me describe the situation in as basic terms as possible:

-I am temporarily employed with less than $1k in my bank account

-I'm moving away from home into a duplex or apartment with a roommate

-Grant people have decided they will not be issuing assistance for rent

Obviously, getting another job is a high priority. I'm going down to look at places with my future roommate tomorrow. If we sign a lease, it's going to be about $800 up front. Which will drain my bank account down to zero.

I'm not guaranteed a job yet past the 17th of June and I'm really panicking. I hate that I don't have everything managed and enough saved up to pay for a few months of rent up front, I hate that I can't guarantee I'll eat (and the dog is coming with for the sake of my sanity, but she'll be getting a newer, cheaper, better quality diet real soon...), or have electricity or internet, which are important things.

So I was going to apply for SNAP. But as a dependent of my mother's household, I'm not sure what I'm going to need to apply. I figure that I can't actually do this until I have documents that pertain to my lease, but I want to have everything in order before I set out to do it.

Can anyone offer any insight, information, or...anything really on this situation? I could use a bit of guidance.

I know you will need a copy of your lease, pay stubs, and your most recent w-2. Since you will be sharing a home you may need a letter from your roommate saying that you purchase, cook and prepare your food separately. That usually depends on your state.

It may take a few months to be approved so you may want to look into local food pantries as well.

Also no offense intended, but can't your mom give you money?

Because doesn't she already pay for your treatment and other such things for you?

Edited by llama44

Also no offense intended, but can't your mom give you money?

Because doesn't she already pay for your treatment and other such things for you?

I bet she's explored and driven down that avenue already, llama.

If I was applying for food stamps [which I am] it would be at least in part because my parents couldn't afford to support me any longer [which they can't].

I don't really have any great advice except this:

Maybe make a packet of the info that you are giving to them and make a duplicate packet if possible. Then when they inevitable lose/misunderstand/burn the original set of documents, you already have a second one ready to go. If you are mailing stuff, send it registered or certified or whatever that is nowadays. And keep on their ass... but very very politely.

you may not be eligible until you are actually living on your own, and can furnish a copy of your lease. Other than that, you will need a letter from your roomie stating that you do not share food, copies of recent paystubs, and utility bills (if you have them).

Well I guess you know her better than I do. Sorry.

When I had food stamps, I had to get a letter that my then boyfriend was not going to share any food that I had purchased with my EBT card. We had to sign and date it.

Also, make two copies of everything. One for you and one for them.

There is also help for you to pay for heat. Ask your caseworker to look into that. Every little bit helps.

I should mention a couple more things:

-Therapy and meds are a free-wheeling adventure right now. I was having a difficult time remembering to take my meds and I didn't want to build up a resistance to them should I need them in the future. I'm also curious to see if my depression (as I've only suffered one major episode) was a situational issue or if it was a legitimate medical problem. At present I'm very content and coping with my life the way it is. This is a trial period for me; if it doesn't work, I'll be back on meds and happily admit that I made a stupid mistake. I learned to cope with my ADD/NLD combo over time and I'm hoping to be able to do the same with depressive episodes. I'm at a different stage in my life and I feel more apt to handle things.

And...

-My mother assures me that she will not let me starve, but I am not personally comfortable taking money from her wallet that feeds my younger brother and sister who are still minors and dependents under her roof. I, on the other hand, am 22 and have no reason not to be financially stable other than the basic reasons that my current job is only my third ever and they've all been seasonal/temporary hire.

Duplicate packets are definitely a good idea though. I'll have to be sure to figure out what all I need before I plunge into this.

Mmkay. Gotcha.

I would call your county's social service office and ask for a packet/application to be sent out to you. I think that is how I got started. Although I think I got mine from my case manager. But it should work either way though.

Good luck!

I was having a difficult time remembering to take my meds and I didn't want to build up a resistance to them should I need them in the future

Starting and stopping your meds can have the effect of rendering them useless. You will not build resistance to them if yo take them regularly.

I was having a difficult time remembering to take my meds and I didn't want to build up a resistance to them should I need them in the future

Starting and stopping your meds can have the effect of rendering them useless. You will not build resistance to them if yo take them regularly.

Yes and I couldn't remember to take them. But that's off topic.

Thanks for your help Llama! I might shoot you a few PMs and we can commiserate over this together.