CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
sanity4christmas

My mom is sending me to a psychiatrist

mainly because I don't want to live with her. I planned to get a job this summer but I just got progressively depressed and decided I couldn't stand living with her and wanted to spend the summer with my dad. I tried to give her a hug when she came in(she's intoxicated) and she was like 'you don't love me', so why am I being forced to go to a psychiatrst. She said to me that I shouldn't want to see my dad because I haven't seen or talked to him in months.. I've been to one before and they put me on meds,my mom lied to them and told them that if I moved back in with her she would get me into a better school,I go to the same school I left from now.. Her husband is also abusive, I have to say something to him everytime I see him or else he'll yell, curse and fuss about it, making it obvious that I wouldn't want to say anything to him. So I don't understand why I'm being sent to a psychiatrist, I still want to try to make it to my dads for the summer and I guess going to the doctor could be helpful. Now I'm nervous about it.

You seem to have a lot on your mind. Maybe it would be a good idea to see a psychiatrist so you can vent what is on your mind, and have a psychiatrist's opinion. If the psychiatrist screws you over, then maybe try a new one. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get one that you get along with.

Have you asked your Mom why she would like you to see a psychiatrist?

Remember you're able to speak up and say what you would like. If you'd like to go to your Dad's, or want to talk about your Mom's husband then that's okay too. What are you mostly nervous about?

If you have feelings of depression, no matter the circumstances surrounding your life, a psychiatrist can help you sort the feelings out and possibly give you a medication that can change the way you feel and deal with the world around you.

It may not be fair to live in the house that you do, surrounded by the parents you have, but I urge you to try and make the best of this decision. You can even talk to the pdoc about wanting to live with your dad, and see what they say - maybe they can even talk to your mom about your wishes.

Please don't be nervous. The doctor is there to help you. He may not agree with everything you say, but you both can work on what your situation is about, and how you can live within the parameters.

I don't know why she's making me see the doctor but i'm getting referred today. I guess there's nothing to be nervous about, I think it was them finding sometimes wrong with me..thanks for your replies

Sounds like things are rather difficult at the moment. That's bound to have effect on even the most stable of persons!

If you are experiencing depression, then getting treatment is very important. Just like any other illness, if untreated it can get worse and cause life to be much more difficult down the road. Be aware that it is often difficult to assess yourself. We get used to the situations we are in; put our heads down and trudge on deeper into the pit. That is why psychiatrists and therapists are important as outside observers who are objective.

Regardless of you mothers motives this can be a good thing. The doctor is supposed to work for your good as best he understands it. The most important thing in dealing with a psychiatrist or ANY doctors is: be truthful and honest. They cannot do their best work with wrong information.

best, a.m.

Maybe having someone on neutral territory to listen to you won't be a bad thing? Especially when it comes to issues with your parents and your stepfather. Like airmarshall said honesty is the best policy so they can get the full spectrum. Don't be afraid to let them know your concerns.