CrazyBoards.org

Aversion to bathing.

CrankyMe

It has now been 10 days since I last showered!!!!!! WTF!!!! I can't do it. It really just bothers me. I know I need to and really feel it sometimes but when it comes down to it- I can't do it! How do you make yourself finally do it? I need suggestions.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showered today, I think it has been 3 weeks or a month. It is really stupid. But I despise it so much.

But you know how usually you feel much more comfortable after you have taken a shower, and wonder why you can't force yourself to do it more? This time I actually didn't feel more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I know I'm a little tardy to the party, but I can soooo relate.  I used to be one who LOOOOOVED to take hot bubble baths with a nice book for relaxation.  In some ways, I still do like that, but, like many of you, hate the "cold when I get out"/drying off part, so it's really a cost/benefit analysis whenever I contemplate a bath (usually tipped in favor of "not the bath.")

This all started when I lost (was forced to quit) a job back in summer 2012 (following a traumatic experience at work).  My PTSD got bad again, which then resulted in depression and some agoraphobia symptoms.... I figured if I was barely leaving the house and had no regular human contact, why the hell should I shower?  I guess I got used to this.  When my finances got so bad that I moved back to my home state, I had no choice but to force myself to work in my field again, fortunately at a job I was successful at before.

The shitty thing is, I have to be at work at 5:30am, so if I'm gonna get a shower and do my hair, I have to get up at 4:00am.  This is a struggle because: 1.) It's really eff-ing cold in New England at this time of year still, and 2.) my Trazodone (which I wasn't on when I worked these hours before) gives me such a hangover effect that I'm often pressing snooze until 4:45 or so.  (Interesting side effect, considering it doesn't help me FALL asleep all that much.)  

I have tried to take a shower the night before, but then that's a pain because I still have to do my hair, which can't make up its mind whether it is curly or straight.  If I flat-iron it straight, I can sleep on it, and it actually looks better in the morning than the night before and can last a couple days--- but it's sooo time consuming.  If I choose to wear it curly, then it gets all flattened and weird in the night, to the point I pretty much have to wet my whole head again to make it look presentable.

Since I am a "working professional",  I pretty much have resigned myself to the fact that I have to shower at least every other day at minimum.  That often means taking a quick 5 minute shower, pulling my wet hair back into a twist, and running out the door. But I feel at my most confident best when I'm showering daily.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Edited by Lady Krazy Kat

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an aversion to bathing as much as I'm just terrified at what might happen while I'm doing it.  A lot of the time in the shower, my mind is screaming that I'm scared and that bad things WILL happen if I close my eyes when I wash my hair and face.  I'm also terrified of the bathroom lights and the fact that I can't see who is out there that might hurt me.  I usually just shower with my husband and he waits in the bathroom until I'm finished.  I know that if anything does show up, my husband will protect me and that helps sooooo much.

I don't know if I have a specific "aversion," but I definitely avoid it a lot of the time.  I only like to do it at night, and even when I tell myself I need to do it, I'll simply be up doing other things until I'm ready to pass out and it's "too late".

Standing in the shower is also a place where I happen to end up being flooded with difficult memories, so it's not terribly uncommon for me to end up standing there sobbing... -_-

• 1 month later...

Well I feel better the next day after having a shower. TOTALLY hated every thing about it last night though. Even sleeping with wet hair. UGH!!!!!!!!!!! But I had gone about 30 days without so I knew it was past time to have one. That is the longest I've ever went withought taking one. I just got too busy with 2 jobs, kids, moving and what little sleep I got and just didn't have time to take one until last night. I've GOT to get better than that though. For real!!!!

this topic is absolutely fascinating! I'd no idea there were so many people who felt that way! when im in th middle east where its crazy hot i can shower up to 3times a day and back in england maybe twice a day though mostly once and i hate it mainly cusa the cold!

• 1 month later...

Gosh I swear I just can not get this done. I've gone 5 weeks so far. I think about it during the day. You know, going home and taking a shower. But when the time comes I find other things to do. How do you make yourself take one even though you hate it and absolutely don't want to?

Sometimes in chat we play "shower races".... someone agrees to be the time keeper and whoever needs to take a shower will join in to see how quickly we can get it done.

The general ground rule for shower races are that you must wash your hair and all other body parts with some kind of soap, dry your self completely, and put clothing back on to be considered finished.

crt, I'm sorry you're struggling with this challenge. I agree regarding the wastefulness of bathing when it isn't necessary. But a daily shower is SO ingrained into American culture at this point that people balk at anything less as being unsanitary. It is nuts.

I agree completely. Daily bathing can also dry out your skin. A year ago, I was showering 2-3 times a week. Now, it had slid to once a week. The last time I did laundry, it had been 2 months and I had recycled everything, all underwear had been worn regularly and inside-out. I wear pj's alot to avoid getting "day" clothes dirty. I guess my reasoning is that I don't work, so there's nowhere to go, so why bother? Also hate being cold getting in and out. It doesn't help that my bathroom is really cold in the winter. The extra burden of 'what are you going to put on?' after the shower also sucks.

my therapist gave me a hygiene checklist

cause I was tired of my family commenting on the smell  and I wondered if the odor in my old bedroom that exroommate complained about was from me not showering..........

so I have to mark off if I shower, brush teeth, shampoo hair, comb hair, deodorant, lotion, clean clothes, wash face and hands, makeup

when we meet we go over them

I have realized now that I am showering more often, the smell that occurs from not showering.

I never thought I smelled, I can't smell it  - even now if I go a couple days I don't smell it right away...

but i'm realizing people in a 10ft radius can..............   most won't say anything.... some might drop hints........ eventually someone is going to be cruel...

so i'm trying to better my hygiene

brushing my teeth is the hardest thing for me  I went months without doing it

I know the consequences

I hate showering because when you get out of the shower you are wet and it's a hassle to dry off and wet hair and yea........

but  i'm working on it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Can't believe I found this thread. Thought I was alone in this no-daily-shower-or-bath thing. It started about a year ago with every other day. Lately it's 2-3 times a week, depending on if I have to leave the house. Actually, I have left the house for an appointment or grocery shopping without showering. Luckily I don't really smell, but I hope I don't start showering even less.

I've always been scared to shower while alone in the house, and I'm home alone a lot these days. Up until a year or so ago, I would take the gun into the bathroom with me just in case, but I don't have access to it anymore.

There are other reasons that just piled up. I can't stand seeing myself without clothes. There are so many steps in my shower routine and I don't always have the energy to get through them. Then there's drying my hair (long) and sweating. The last time I showered, I had to rest in bed to catch my breath afterwards. 

I confess that I have struggled with this as well.

Some of us might have reasons, some of us have excuses, some just don't care. That's fine. I don't judge. 

I come up with my own creative rationalizations. Fell through ice as a kid and nearly drowned. I can't swim and hate water on my face. It's a true story, but.. doesn't justify any aversion to hygiene. 

Somewhere around 2003 when I was beyond overwhelmed by the new diagnosis, I ran away from reality, went through a survivalist phase, gave up on life, erased myself from humanity, lived in a tent out in the woods, cooked on a fire, stole ice from a gas station for my styrofoam fridge, washed my clothes standing naked in the rain and simply didn't give a damn. Lasted 7 months while screwing my head back on straight. That is the definition of freedom. I do feel bad for the overnight grocery store staff that I traumatized weekly.

Now? Well, compared to that, anything is an improvement, right?

Every other day is good enough. I do make an extra effort to be presentable on the rare occasions when it is truly important. 

• 3 years later...

I have a strong fear of falling in the shower. Doesn't matter that I sit on a shower chair. I fear closing my eyes, turning my back to the water and I hate when the water sprays my face. I can't use very warm water cos steam triggers asthma attacks so I'm always cold once I get wet. I sponge bathe regular but rarely ever actually get in the tub. I feel like a horrible person because of this. I'm kinda glad I found this discussion.